Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 11-17-2021, 01:44 AM   #1
Taylor88

Drives: ZL1
ZL1 Markups?

Hi all,

New to the forum. I plan on purchasing a ZL1 but unfortunately they all have markups now. Cerritos Chevy has two but they’re going for $95k, does that seem reasonable? I figured I could buy an SS and drop 20K into it and have something that would make more power than a stock ZL1. I then tried to talk to dealers about ordering one, they stated that the markup is applied on orders as well. Have any of you had this experience? I am willing to pay a mark up but +$90k for it just seems like I’m being robbed. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.
Taylor88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 03:11 AM   #2
Jofu

Drives: 2022 Wild Cherry ZL1 1LE
Hello there!

Unfortunately it's pretty common these days for dealerships to demand markups on harder-to-get cars like Corvette or Camaro ZL1 for example, especially in hot markets like California.

Thankfully, many dealers throughout the country are still willing to sell at MSRP, but it may mean you'll have to buy out of state and drive the car back or have it delivered to your house. If you go the out-of-state route, just make sure the car is ordered with CA emissions option selected, and make sure you select the copper-free brake pad option as well, which is now required in CA and WA.

Be aware that Camaro allocations are still pretty limited due to current situations and constraints, and ordering one can currently take over 5 months. Before placing an order with a dealer, make sure to ask what their allocation situation is. Placing an order does not automatically grant a dealer an allocation, so it could be that your order would virtually sit forever in limbo.

Myself, I am currently awaiting a car I ordered via Britain Chevrolet in Texas (through member GearheadSS here on the forum), and I plan on driving it back to the Bay Area when it is finally built and delivered I'm now at status code 3100, so it's moving along

In case you're not familiar with status codes, please refer to the following thread for their meaning:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=415251

Hope this helps, and good luck with your order!

Geoff
Jofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 04:04 AM   #3
Taylor88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Hello there!

Unfortunately it's pretty common these days for dealerships to demand markups on harder-to-get cars like Corvette or Camaro ZL1 for example, especially in hot markets like California.

Thankfully, many dealers throughout the country are still willing to sell at MSRP, but it may mean you'll have to buy out of state and drive the car back or have it delivered to your house. If you go the out-of-state route, just make sure the car is ordered with CA emissions option selected, and make sure you select the copper-free brake pad option as well, which is now required in CA and WA.

Be aware that Camaro allocations are still pretty limited due to current situations and constraints, and ordering one can currently take over 5 months. Before placing an order with a dealer, make sure to ask what their allocation situation is. Placing an order does not automatically grant a dealer an allocation, so it could be that your order would virtually sit forever in limbo.

Myself, I am currently awaiting a car I ordered via Britain Chevrolet in Texas (through member GearheadSS here on the forum), and I plan on driving it back to the Bay Area when it is finally built and delivered I'm now at status code 3100, so it's moving along

In case you're not familiar with status codes, please refer to the following thread for their meaning:

Geoff
Great info and I really appreciate your quick response. That is what I’ll probably do, start looking out of state to see what I can find. & congrats on on your order I know you’re going to love the drive back in it. I Had no idea about status codes, so thank you for the link to that as well. I’m hoping to purchase something (if I’m lucky) in the next week , I’ll post back what my experience was for others. Thanks again!
Old 11-17-2021, 06:26 AM   #4
Big Mikey

Drives: VW Scirocco & Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor88 View Post
Great info and I really appreciate your quick response. That is what I’ll probably do, start looking out of state to see what I can find. & congrats on on your order I know you’re going to love the drive back in it. I Had no idea about status codes, so thank you for the link to that as well. I’m hoping to purchase something (if I’m lucky) in the next week , I’ll post back what my experience was for others. Thanks again!

If that appears to not provide any fruition, you might want to also reach out to JoeP@TeamBeckyD from the same thread link as above. He is based out of Michigan and also helps with orders for folks out of state. Some folks have mentioned he can help deliver. Might be worth giving a call/PM if you're not getting any luck with anything local.

Also as mentioned, GearHeadSS is another person to reach out to, based out of Texas.

Either route, expect a longer wait than usual due to the chip crisis.

Best of luck!
Big Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 10:44 PM   #5
Taylor88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
If that appears to not provide any fruition, you might want to also reach out to JoeP@TeamBeckyD from the same thread link as above. He is based out of Michigan and also helps with orders for folks out of state. Some folks have mentioned he can help deliver. Might be worth giving a call/PM if you're not getting any luck with anything local.

Also as mentioned, GearHeadSS is another person to reach out to, based out of Texas.

Either route, expect a longer wait than usual due to the chip crisis.

Best of luck!
Thank you both for the words of wisdom.

After searching around a bit more i was able to find a 22 ZL1 that was not listed on any of the car websites, it had $3500 markup. Figured it wasn't too bad compared to the 15k and 20k markups i have been seeing and i wouldn't have to wait 6 months. It arrives 12/3 so I'm hoping there are no delays. Dealer tried everything in the book to add on unnecessary packages, but i held my ground.

Dealer stated it was on the train heading this way and sent me a screen shot , can the guys in the other thread help with tracking a car on the trains or are they only able to see order status?

Thanks again for all of your help!
Old 11-19-2021, 07:35 AM   #6
Big Mikey

Drives: VW Scirocco & Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Dealer stated it was on the train heading this way and sent me a screen shot , can the guys in the other thread help with tracking a car on the trains or are they only able to see order status?
I believe Joe (from other thread) can only see the order status, I'm not aware of him providing tracking info during shipment.

I believe Jack Cooper does most of the transport. I'm just not sure if their tracking covers train. Here is the link to the Jack Cooper site, search by VIN: http://k0jdd.netlogger.org/VehicleStatus
Big Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 01:47 PM   #7
10mm
Account Suspended

Drives: My wife nuts...
I found numerous dealers that offered me msrp minus my GM supplier discount.
10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:36 PM   #8
Taylor88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mm View Post
I found numerous dealers that offered me msrp minus my GM supplier discount.
I despise southern California dealers. Tried looking for a car out of state, but none had all the dumb CA needed packages (emissions, brakes, etc) so I would have been stuck ordering and waiting however many months. I plan on leaving this state soon.
Old 11-19-2021, 08:43 PM   #9
Taylor88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mikey View Post
I believe Joe (from other thread) can only see the order status, I'm not aware of him providing tracking info during shipment.

I believe Jack Cooper does most of the transport. I'm just not sure if their tracking covers train. Here is the link to the Jack Cooper site, search by VIN: http://k0jdd.netlogger.org/VehicleStatus
You’re a wealth of help. Checked it out and it looks like it’s been at the rail yard for about a week and a half. hopefully it starts moving soon, appreciate your assistance and happy holidays.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:21 PM   #10
PoloCamaroZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jofu View Post
Hello there!

Geoff
I'm new to these forums so please forgive me.

I recently purchased a 2022 Camaro ZL1 from OR and had it shipped to CA.

None of the copper free brakes or CA required package was on the car. This is specifically from the manufacturer to the authorized dealer. All of the liability from the direct consumer is removed when you go to get the car registered in CA. They make you sign all of the necessary paperwork which includes the VIN Verification. Employees from the DMV will walk around the car, and make sure it is 50 state compliant but they have no way of knowing what kind of brake system is on the car. Trust me, I was sweating bullets about buying a $70k paper weight.

The problem you will encounter, is you WILL fail the SMOG because the car is "too new" and hasn't gone through enough heat cycles to pass the car. I had to schedule an appointment with the BAR Referee (above the DMV) and they gave me a SMOG certification number. When I gave that to the dealer in OR, they said that wasn't good enough and needed a passed SMOG. I was absolutely certain that they were wrong, but the 3rd party system they used basically saw that as a red flag and would not process my paper work. After more than a month of back and forth, I finally spoke to the Manager and asked him to snail mail my paperwork to the DMV instead of their stupid 3rd party company and what do you know??? I show up to the DMV two days after the paperwork arrived, and they handed me my registration and license plates.

All of this to say, you DO NOT need the Copper free brakes to buy an out of state car and register in CA (they have no way of evaluating the copper content in the pads) and you WILL fail a SMOG unless you put a lot of miles on the car (1000+) If the out of state dealer has an issue registering the vehicle but you got a SMOG certification with a BAR Referee, they will need to snail mail the paperwork to your local DMV.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:37 PM   #11
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoloCamaroZL1 View Post
I'm new to these forums so please forgive me.

I recently purchased a 2022 Camaro ZL1 from OR and had it shipped to CA.

None of the copper free brakes or CA required package was on the car. This is specifically from the manufacturer to the authorized dealer. All of the liability from the direct consumer is removed when you go to get the car registered in CA. They make you sign all of the necessary paperwork which includes the VIN Verification. Employees from the DMV will walk around the car, and make sure it is 50 state compliant but they have no way of knowing what kind of brake system is on the car. Trust me, I was sweating bullets about buying a $70k paper weight.

The problem you will encounter, is you WILL fail the SMOG because the car is "too new" and hasn't gone through enough heat cycles to pass the car. I had to schedule an appointment with the BAR Referee (above the DMV) and they gave me a SMOG certification number. When I gave that to the dealer in OR, they said that wasn't good enough and needed a passed SMOG. I was absolutely certain that they were wrong, but the 3rd party system they used basically saw that as a red flag and would not process my paper work. After more than a month of back and forth, I finally spoke to the Manager and asked him to snail mail my paperwork to the DMV instead of their stupid 3rd party company and what do you know??? I show up to the DMV two days after the paperwork arrived, and they handed me my registration and license plates.

All of this to say, you DO NOT need the Copper free brakes to buy an out of state car and register in CA (they have no way of evaluating the copper content in the pads) and you WILL fail a SMOG unless you put a lot of miles on the car (1000+) If the out of state dealer has an issue registering the vehicle but you got a SMOG certification with a BAR Referee, they will need to snail mail the paperwork to your local DMV.

WOW... I had the exact experience in December. Purchased and shipped from Utah. I paid a $3k "market adjustment" which was the least i could find at the time... I also failed smog and needed to log 500 miles +/- first.

Always a pain trying to find a very specific, hard to find car. But very rewarding when it all works out.
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
23 ZL1

Drives: 2022 ZL1 1977 Camaro 2017 Silverado
Quote:
Thank you both for the words of wisdom.

After searching around a bit more i was able to find a 22 ZL1 that was not listed on any of the car websites, it had $3500 markup. Figured it wasn't too bad compared to the 15k and 20k markups i have been seeing and i wouldn't have to wait 6 months. It arrives 12/3 so I'm hoping there are no delays. Dealer tried everything in the book to add on unnecessary packages, but i held my ground.

Thanks again for all of your help!
Guys, FYI Joe passed away. There is some info on the thread below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...highlight=joep

4/11/22 - #1100
4/28/22 - #3000 - TPW 5/23
5/23/22 - #3400 - TPW 5/23
6/07/22 - #4300
6/27/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/13
7/02/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/27
7/06/22 - #4300 - ETA 7/10
7/13/22 - #6000
23 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #13
BUFW

Drives: Your Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23 ZL1 View Post
Guys, FYI Joe passed away. There is some info on the thread below.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...highlight=joep
FYI this thread was started in November when he was alive.
BUFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 02:02 PM   #14
PoloCamaroZL1

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Very Sorry to hear that! I will drive the hell out of my car in his honor.