Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 AM   #1
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
Need one rear tire 16 SS

A few questions, one of my rear tires is basically bald and the other is still good this is due to when I had to replace one when it got a flat and wasn’t repairable. The other still has pretty good tread depth. I read about replacing tires in pairs but is it really necessary or can I just replace the one? Right now I have continental tires. I was looking at a tire called general g max all season 05. Does it really matter getting a different brand tire which would be different patterns in the rear and it this a good tire? And last, do I need a wheel allignment?

Last edited by LordKevin; 06-24-2018 at 10:28 AM.
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Replace in pairs. It’s only about safety.

I strongly recommend those Generals, but why if you’re in sunny Florida?
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #3
LordKevin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Replace in pairs. It’s only about safety.

I strongly recommend those Generals, but why if you’re in sunny Florida?
What are the reasons to replace in pairs? One of my rear tires is still good. What would happen not replacing both? And that tire is only $170. Do you have any other recommendations?
LordKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
https://www.cars.com/articles/do-i-n...1420684865769/

Quote:
On a front- or rear-wheel-drive vehicle, similar guidelines apply. If half or more of the tread on all four tires is gone, replacing just one tire will result in one wheel spinning at a slower rate than the others, possibly sending false signals to the traction control and antilock braking systems. It also will result in one tire having more or less traction for acceleration, braking and cornering grip than the others, which can affect a vehicle's behavior. On a two-wheel-drive vehicle, regardless of being FWD or RWD, a better approach would be to replace the pair on the same axle. The best approach, though, is to replace all four if the tread on the old tires is significantly worn.
Quote:
If you decide to replace only one tire, the replacement should be the same model, size and tread pattern as the others. A different brand or model tire will have even greater differences in traction and number of revolutions per mile, and it's likely to wear at a different rate. That means it could conceivably wear out faster than the others, even if it starts out with more tread depth.
Since you're in Florida where it rarely gets cold, you can go with Summer tires.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote