Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-20-2020, 08:52 PM   #43
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
With my OEM Brembos I have been running SRF. Next time i am going to run Motul 660 for the first time. I am bleeding after every weekend (2 track days) and changing after every 2 weekends (4 track days). I am running SS brake lines.

I have just rebuilt the calipers front and rear. Used new seals and high temp dust boots from Racing Brakes. Also replaced the rotors. I am running Ferodo DS1.11 with good results and acceptable wear.

I was hoping to have these brakes pretty worn by now but several Sebring weekends have been canceled because of COVID-19. I will probably run this new set up starting next weekend for a couple of weekends and see how the wear is. I have an AP 390/365 front/rear set that is on order and should ship next week. I will be eager to get those on but want to at least get some of my money's worth out of what's on it right now.
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:16 AM   #44
iwk2much

Drives: ZLI 1LE; 992 S; GLE 450, Denali HD
TMR & RED

Are you experiencing brake squeal when coming to a stop. Also, pad slap when applying brakes initially? I do, wondering of there is anything I can do about it.
iwk2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:07 AM   #45
Repman

Drives: 18 Black ZL1-1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
TMR & RED

Are you experiencing brake squeal when coming to a stop. Also, pad slap when applying brakes initially? I do, wondering of there is anything I can do about it.
I have a friend who has the Essex AP kit and he was having issues but ordered the pad tension clips and issue resolved I think its like 175 bucks for the fronts

Essex Pad Tension kit
Pad Tension Clips (frequently referred to as anti-rattle clips) are NOT included with our Competition Kits, but we do offer them as an option if you're concerned about NVH. One of the great benefits of the AP Racing calipers in our system is that they are designed to accommodate pads from a wide range of manufacturers. Each manufacturer builds their pads with specifications that are slightly different. As such, pads from different manufacturers, or even from different batches, won't always fit in the calipers in exactly the same manner. Some pads are a snug fit, while others may rattle around and produce noise. The Essex Designed Pad Tension Kit is designed to dramatically reduce pad movement inside the caliper, along with just about all resulting noise. Click here to add the pad tension kits for the CP9668 calipers in this brake kit to your shopping cart. Please note that each caliper requires one Pad Tension Kit. If you need enough tension blocks for both of your calipers, you need to order two of these kits!
Repman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:15 PM   #46
2010REDSS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwk2much View Post
TMR & RED

No NVH and I don't run the tensioners.

I do get some squeal, but not all the time....some pad sets do, some don't. My guess is it depends on how well I've bedded them and the amount of pad transfer onto the rotors. Less squeal after they are fully heated up on track, but still a bit with some pad sets. I can hear it in my track videos.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:01 AM   #47
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post

I finally did one event with the DTC70's and honestly, I wasnt super impressed. I am going to try Ti shims w/ the 70's at my next event to see if the heat is managed any better. Otherwise, an AP kit may be needed now that I have more aero.
I was hoping DCT70’s would solve some of the brake fade I was experiencing last year with stock pads... Can you expand upon what you weren’t super impressed about with the DCT70’s?
It sounds like they created too much heat / didn’t handle the heat much better than stock pads or at least not enough to justify the increased wear on the calipers? (I’m using those pads for the first time tomorrow and also using 3R tires for the first time as well).

Hopefully this isn’t too far off the topic of the AP brake kit... which I would be interested in down the road once I have more experience
Old 05-22-2020, 04:23 PM   #48
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Let me get back to you after Sunday.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #49
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Let me get back to you after Sunday.
No worries, thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2020, 05:46 PM   #50
breakskeet
Kevin

Drives: 2018 Callaway Camaro ZL1 1LE
Got word today that my 390/365 front/rear kits were gonna ship today. Haven't received tracking numbers yet. Can't wait!
breakskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 07:25 PM   #51
curtis_metcalf

Drives: 20 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
Got word today that my 390/365 front/rear kits were gonna ship today. Haven't received tracking numbers yet. Can't wait!
oh yeah man!!!! please keep up us updated!!
curtis_metcalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 PM   #52
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I was hoping DCT70’s would solve some of the brake fade I was experiencing last year with stock pads... Can you expand upon what you weren’t super impressed about with the DCT70’s?
It sounds like they created too much heat / didn’t handle the heat much better than stock pads or at least not enough to justify the increased wear on the calipers? (I’m using those pads for the first time tomorrow and also using 3R tires for the first time as well).

Hopefully this isn’t too far off the topic of the AP brake kit... which I would be interested in down the road once I have more experience
How did it go with the DTC70’s and the 3R’s? I have the same thing on my ZL1.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #53
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakskeet View Post
Mine will be here today

Should have em on the car tomorrow.

Brian
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #54
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:40 PM   #55
GunMetalGrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Tie Fanatic View Post
How did it go with the DTC70’s and the 3R’s? I have the same thing on my ZL1.
I wish I could say, but unfortunately I had to cancel my attendance at the event, when you’re stressed out about going, that’s a bad sign; my dental clinics are reopening amid COVID-19, we are using a brand new software and doing a leadership restructure all at the same time!

However I am going this weekend and will let you know.
I do have to say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised that there is no squeaking or noise when using these brake pads on the streets.

How has your experience been with that combination of tires and brake pads?
Old 05-28-2020, 03:59 PM   #56
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMetalGrey View Post
I wish I could say, but unfortunately I had to cancel my attendance at the event, when you’re stressed out about going, that’s a bad sign; my dental clinics are reopening amid COVID-19, we are using a brand new software and doing a leadership restructure all at the same time!

However I am going this weekend and will let you know.
I do have to say that I’ve been pleasantly surprised that there is no squeaking or noise when using these brake pads on the streets.

How has your experience been with that combination of tires and brake pads?
I’ve used the 3R’s before and obviously they were a decent improvement over the SC3’s. I’ve never used the DTC70’s but will on 6/6-6/7. Also I’ve gotten my DSC recalibrated so I’m hoping that will help some. I’ve had mixed results with the DSC piece. As others have said it really gets bouncy on tracks like VIR with elevation changes and it gets a little nervous acting. The DSC helps put the power down way better than the stock controller and the roll speeds (mid corner lateral grip) are much better. The platform seems to be way more level now since the tinkering with the settings. Hopefully it doesn’t kill the forward bite. We’re going to find out. I hope you have fun and good weather for this weekend.

Sorry to the OP for this little sidebar conversation.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote