#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #43
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
Agreed. Take the variables out and impact of the aero would show.
If you're comparing A10 vs A10, the gear ratios are the same, and the base ZL1 with it's lower drag will run away from the ZLE. However with M6 vs M6, there is a difference in the 6th gear ratio, so it's not just an aero comparison. Top gear in the base ZL1 is so tall that it does not work for top speed (seen in a video). Therefore the base ZL1 M6 needs to stay in 5th, redlining in the 170s. ZLE M6, with it's superior 6th gear ratio, ran 178, so it ends up better than the base car, despite it's higher drag.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:11 AM   #44
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Manalishi View Post
OK. I can tell you this has happened a few times. Each were in manual mode. But I am not interested in arguing with you. You believe what you want, I will know what I know. I am sure I am beating the driver, but it isn't based on anything more than a ZL1 in manual mode at 30 mph wants to shift to second because its damn near redlined so they have to stab gas and shift almost at the same moment. I still have a ways to go from 30 before I have to shift to 2nd. In auto mode of course it's going to downshift and blow the tires off.
Why is this guy leaving it in 1st then? The A10s ratios are so close he shouldn't be in 1st gear for a 30 roll. Like i said you beat the driver, but instead of auto mode with a 6 gear downshift it went manual mode 1st gear instant spin, rev limiter there's your 3 cars by the time he grabs 2nd... Bad driving even in the simplest form of racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018$S1le View Post
Just a thought to throw a wrench in the debate: wouldn’t a true apples to apples comparison consist of a ZL1 and a ZLE with the SAME m6 tranny? Considering they are different gear ratios would certainly be a factor. The ZLE May hold a slight lead due to the closer track oriented gearing but then lose once speeds are reached where aero becomes a limiting factor. Food for thought
Only 6th gear is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post
This thread is great lol. Where the Camaro ZL1 is concerned you can choose the one that is faster on the track but is slower in a straight line or you can choose the one that is faster in a straight line and slower on the track. You can’t get both in OEM form.

It’s hilarious to me how many 1LE owners want to convince the rest of us that they will still win a roll race. Let a regular ZL1 owner try to convince you that their car will kill your 1LE on the track. The argument is equally as ludicrous. Downforce is real. It clearly puts you in front on the track and it will clearly put you in the rear at high speed.
The ride isn't even stiff either

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnta1ss View Post
If you're comparing A10 vs A10, the gear ratios are the same, and the base ZL1 with it's lower drag will run away from the ZLE. However with M6 vs M6, there is a difference in the 6th gear ratio, so it's not just an aero comparison. Top gear in the base ZL1 is so tall that it does not work for top speed (seen in a video). Therefore the base ZL1 M6 needs to stay in 5th, redlining in the 170s. ZLE M6, with it's superior 6th gear ratio, ran 178, so it ends up better than the base car, despite it's higher drag.
Right only 6th gear has a different ratio in the ZLE. I wonder how far ahead the ZL1 would already be by the time it tops out in 5th tho. As seen in that 2.7 mile top speed video there almost isn't anywhere in the world that a ZLE shifting to 6th gear is coming back around an already topped out 5th gear ZL1 that is already bus lengths ahead at 175 or whatever it tops out at.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:10 AM   #45
LJS-ZLE

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
There is no doubt that the ZLE really starts to feel the impact of the aero kit when the car climbs past 100 mph. I can really feel the extra drag on long straights like the back straight at Watkins Glenn. I take it as a positive since it means the aero is functional and helping with fast sweeping turns like the bus stop and carousel that follows the back straight. A fantastic track car for sure!
LJS-ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:59 AM   #46
ZRacerLE

Drives: The DSSV Twins: ZR2 and ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJS-ZLE View Post
There is no doubt that the ZLE really starts to feel the impact of the aero kit when the car climbs past 100 mph. I can really feel the extra drag on long straights like the back straight at Watkins Glenn. I take it as a positive since it means the aero is functional and helping with fast sweeping turns like the bus stop and carousel that follows the back straight. A fantastic track car for sure!
Not to mention the braking from the drag and the increased braking traction from the downforce. Love it.
ZRacerLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:22 PM   #47
Bow Tie Fanatic

Drives: 2018 Mosaic Black Metallic ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Not to mention the braking from the drag and the increased braking traction from the downforce. Love it.
That’s a really good point. IMO if you put a set of 3R’s on a ZL1 you can come close to the min corner speeds that the ZLE has but when it comes to braking it’s no contest. I’m not implying my ZL1 with 3R’s handles as well as a ZLE but the stability and added grip under braking for the ZLE is huge.
Bow Tie Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #48
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
I am still astonished by the fact that many still discount the presence of hard mounting and DSSV in the enhanced grip capability of ZLE over ZL1.

It might also be noted that the algorithms/calibration settings in the eLSD module are different in the A10 ZLE and A10 ZL1, mostly due to the suspension variance in the two.

It ain't just tires.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #49
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I am still astonished by the fact that many still discount the presence of hard mounting and DSSV in the enhanced grip capability of ZLE over ZL1.

It might also be noted that the algorithms/calibration settings in the eLSD module are different in the A10 ZLE and A10 ZL1, mostly due to the suspension variance in the two.

It ain't just tires.
Max contact patch in both space and time.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:16 AM   #50
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post

It ain't just tires.
It's mostly tires
Old 05-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #51
ZRacerLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
It's mostly tires
Need a pro to lap with a stock ZL1, stock ZLE, and a ZLE with ZL1 tires.
Old 05-05-2020, 01:02 PM   #52
TheRealJA105

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRacerLE View Post
Need a pro to lap with a stock ZL1, stock ZLE, and a ZLE with ZL1 tires.
That would be an awesome test. Someone get ahold of Throttle House. Add swapping the ZL1 wheels and tires onto the ZLE too. I'd say add some diveplanes and the wing to the ZL1 too, but that's more difficult than swapping wheels and this is all just happening in fairytale land.