Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-27-2020, 09:05 PM   #29
legendary70

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Thx
Old 02-27-2020, 09:30 PM   #30
legendary70

So just to be sure.

the following will fit my 1lt?

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...-6-2l-84531831

according to the site it does but it also says 6.2....hmmmmm

Last edited by legendary70; 02-27-2020 at 09:31 PM. Reason: misspelled
legendary70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #31
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-2A View Post
Now why would two of the same CAI's created by one manufacturer, offered by two different company's that ultimately do the same thing, require a tune from one and not the other?

Someone please enlighten me.
It is a violation of federal law for a new-car dealer to do anything to a vehicle to alter its emissions. In this case, the CAI from GM meets the emissions requirements as a replacement/upgrade part, but only with the GM tune to keep it in compliance with federal requirements. I’m guessing the competitor‘s CAI did not go through the testing process (which can be very expensive) to meet the OEM standards. That’s why you see a lot of parts labeled “for off-road use only.”

And before anyone says “Dealers swap in performance parts all the time,” that’s true, but it doesn’t make it legal. I know of one dealer that was fined $50K by the feds for removing the catalytic converters from a customer’s car. BTW, these rules don’t necessarily apply to a vehicle’s owner, depending on state laws. In California, for example, the Roto-Fab is not legal.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:23 AM   #32
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
So just to be sure.

the following will fit my 1lt?

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...-6-2l-84531831

according to the site it does but it also says 6.2....hmmmmm
From the info on the page you reference it looks as though it does fit 6.2L and 2.0T, but not 3.6L. It looks like as long as you include your VIN you'll get the right part. The VIN does include engine information. And since it's a GM sponsored site, they have access to all the information associated with every VIN.

We Do Our Best in Updating Our GM Parts Catalog for Accuracy and Availability - With that said :
*** THIS GM PARTS CATALOG IS A GUIDE ONLY ***
*** ERRORS MAY OCCUR. ***
*** INCLUDE YOUR VIN NUMBER ***
All orders sent with a VIN number are verified for accuracy.

*** DO YOUR PART ************************************************** ****
Please make sure you are ordering the correct part(s).
You have researched and understand what you are ordering.
We will ship what is ordered. We do not ship the wrong part ... The wrong part is ordered.
Ordering the wrong part will create fees
Your VIN number included with your order will alleviate the frustration of receiving a wrong part
If there are any questions please email us - support@gmpartsstore.com or call 1-866-807-4472
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #33
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
No legendary, that is the CAI for the 6.2 V8. Do a search for a 2017 Camaro V6 CAI on Chevy Performance parts website. They offer an open filter kit for the V6 and it’s a different part number to the above CAI.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:26 AM   #34
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
It is a violation of federal law for a new-car dealer to do anything to a vehicle to alter its emissions. In this case, the CAI from GM meets the emissions requirements as a replacement/upgrade part, but only with the GM tune to keep it in compliance with federal requirements. I’m guessing the competitor‘s CAI did not go through the testing process (which can be very expensive) to meet the OEM standards. That’s why you see a lot of parts labeled “for off-road use only.”

And before anyone says “Dealers swap in performance parts all the time,” that’s true, but it doesn’t make it legal. I know of one dealer that was fined $50K by the feds for removing the catalytic converters from a customer’s car. BTW, these rules don’t necessarily apply to a vehicle’s owner, depending on state laws. In California, for example, the Roto-Fab is not legal.
Now that you mention it, remember that the GM Performance CAI was available as a 49-state product for months before it was eventually ok'd for use in California. That just smells like emissions tune all day.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 06:43 AM   #35
LT4Greg

The GM part for your V6 is 84242613. Cold Air Inductions offers a kit too for your V6 which is on sale now for $396.00, part no 501-1101-B. Check on Phastek’s website as they might sell both and offer other brands as well. When you search though you need to type in V6, Camaro and 2017.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #36
LT4Greg

Yes Martinjlm, that’s what I was trying to tell everyone about the GM CAI that it’s basically the same unit as made by Cold Air Inductions and that it was made by them too! Some folks don’t believe that the aftermarket made the GM one and that a tune for emissions or airflow goes with the GM part is required to make the part not void the warranty. That’s probably the reason that the GM part is more expensive than the Cold Air Inductions one because they designed theirs to work with the stock tuning. Of course most everyone knows that a CAI won’t void your warranty anyway and just depends on if the dealer is mod friendly or not.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:08 AM   #37
legendary70

thank you guys.

I have to say.....

the same day i joined these forums....i joined another two. Day and night man.

the other two i stopped using because they never help and all they do when they do post is either be all aggro and very short.

These forums are great and yall are very helpful. Glad to be here.

Thank you!!!!
Old 02-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #38
legendary70

OK. Here is the one LT posted...

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...ntake-84242613

Will it need a tune? Is it not good not to have a cover on top?

Cold air inductions site....

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...extured-black/

has a top. tune needed?

which one would yall recommend?

Just curious what about a K & N?

thx
Old 02-28-2020, 10:09 AM   #39
LT4Greg

You could use either one and they run off the stock tune. Just whichever one you like the best and the K&N is good too.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:24 AM   #40
Yellow Beast
TD

Drives: 2017 2SS, 2014 Mercedes C300
Quote:
Originally Posted by legendary70 View Post
OK. Here is the one LT posted...

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-par...ntake-84242613

Will it need a tune? Is it not good not to have a cover on top?

Cold air inductions site....

https://www.coldairinductions.com/sh...extured-black/

has a top. tune needed?

which one would yall recommend?

Just curious what about a K & N?

thx
I know people with both. Personally i would recommend the Cold air inductions one for your car. They look good and if you're on a budget its the one to go with. Doesn't need a tune.
Yellow Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 12:06 PM   #41
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i have the afe power race intake and love it!

https://afepower.com/afe-power-57-10...-intake-system
Old 02-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #42
legendary70

Sounds good.

Does it really matter if the CAI is covered or not? Asking because one is covered and the other is not.

thx