Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 02-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #169
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Had a bit of free time so began replacing the front rotors/pads and wheel bearings since I've got a bit of whirring.

Quite an easy job - used to having to fight large torx bolts on these areas of other cars - relief:

19,200 miles original brakes...I'm easy on them:

Time for a change:

Finally, Chevrolet with good brakes!:

And done:

So much better @ $75 a side without doing the front wheel struts/king pin and realign deal of my previous car - Subaru.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #170
Tim M

Another part came in...AC belt:

Exciting...
Old 02-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #171
Tim M

More parts came in...LT4 fuel feed line:

Part number-GM 12677004:

High pressure fuel pump gasket-GM 12623309:

I even splurged on a high pressure fuel pump mic...to ensure it is on the base circle before installing - yes $55 for it-OTC 6710:

Front brakes/bearings complete:

Also dropped off the front tires/wheels for fresh OEM rubber - thanks Tire Rack for the close out sale on the Goodyears!

Next was to try my hand at HP Tuners...never used it before. Has some keyboard time with LT1 Edit and more with Holley's 950 Commander and more recently HP systems...surprised how smoothly it went from syncing the dongle to connecting to the car and even pulling the OEM program for shipment to JRE for a mail order tune.

and

I think it works...haven't written to the ECU, of course. I did charge the battery just the same.

Since it was early and sufficient parts have accumulated...time to upgrade to LT4 spec...

Pre-tear down:

Crank bolt was no issue with 60 seconds of flame, emergency brake applied, and trans in 5th gear. I was solo or I would have had someone stand on the brakes too, but didn't have to with a 18 inch breaker bar and 20 inch jack handle extender:

Balancer slid right off, thanks to the suggested puller:

LT1 balancer weight:

LT4 balancer weight:

The AC belt took most of the time! Not impressed at the stretchy belt deal. I used zip ties to allow it to slide...note remove before you remove the balancer bolt!:

Decided to upgrade to the LS3 crank seal...compared side by side - now see the reason to do so-much more substantial:

Part number-GM 12585673:

Called it a day with the coolant drained and next step is to pull the fans (it is Valentine's Day!) since my recommended installer will not fit in the space between the balancer and fans:

Last edited by Tim M; 02-15-2020 at 02:28 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #172
Tim M

Today was a short day - cycling was the deal...27 mile round-trip to a local castle in the balmy 50 degree weather.

Next was the bumper pull...first time. Few bolts in the wheel wells and few up top:

Funny as I have a number of these plastic tools I've used for various tasks...one item I never thought of was using the slot to pry the plastic push pins! Obviously, their exact purpose...thanks to Youtube for enlightening me! Always was a butchered double screwdriver exercise...

Chevrolet put some thought/effort into the cooling. This radiator turns switches to helping the main supercharger heat exchanger:

And done:

Significant other was a good sport when I came thru the front door with the assembly! No room in the garage...don't want a scratch...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:02 AM   #173
Tim M

Great interior decoration!:

Another big success...likely the last major hurdle IMO...passenger cat removal - some challenge, but no stripped threads. This is to install a wideband bung:

These two studs had to be removed along with 1 of the 4 on the actual exhaust manifold to allow the assembly to detach and wiggle past the lower chassis brace. I did not remove any more of the exhaust - thankfully. And the exhaust nuts/studs did not give up a fight - amazing:

I'm patterning the location off of others...my actual car:

Now all the 'easy' stuff.

Last edited by Tim M; 02-17-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM   #174
Tim M

President's Day brought more accomplishments...first set of new OEM tires courtesy of local race shop - nary a scratch!:

Next was balancer install...once I finagled the cooling fan out:

Some concern on the fasteners...I had planned to use an ARP bolt vice the OEM TTY deal.

I was surprised at the lack of thread engagement on the ARP...but it equaled the OEM bolt (which seems minimal!)...so in it went to 235 ft/lbs.

Next was the stretch AC belt...actually went on easily once I installed fully on the balancer, but left it off the AC compressor pulley. Then pushed the belt on with my fingers over the AC compressor pulley while rotating the engine. Admittedly, I used the original 19,000 mile belt so stacked the deck:

Next was pulling the intake...far cry from the Gen I SBC's aluminum job - or the cast iron behemoth!:

Back to the blower drive - OEM tensioner - GM 12663624:

Pulleys - GM 12665845 / 12678295 / 12642707:

Bracket - GM 12667163:

Installed:

Only fatality is a damaged sensor...got too hamfisted with the disconnect clip mystery...

Next is fueling (injectors/HPFP), heat exchanger, blower unit, and hoses. Maybe next weekend.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:04 PM   #175
Tim M

Had a few hours today...knocked out the LT4 fueling piece - includes the larger LT4 injectors, high pressure fuel pump (mechanical driven by camshaft), and the LT4 valley plate/air/oil separator.

Disassembled:

LT4 valley plate - GM :

Shot of the fuel pump plunger height checking tool...spent $50 on this piece for it to tell me the plunger was on the base circle of the cam - ready to install the HPFP. Likely unnecessary, but my first experience with LT1 engines - it brought a bit of piece of mind:

LT4 fueling/rails installed...even the OEM fuel feed line from the fuel tank requires no modification:

Also received my passenger cat manifold modified with a wide band bung - nice work by local race shop:

They also refitted fresh OEM tires to the rears as well - an English speaker makes life so much more convenient...and understanding that scratches are not automatic!

Have to include a shot of the cargo capacity of my $1500 Honda Jazz (Fit)...impressive 40 mpg parts hauler...'Magic' seats and all - I bet I could fit 8 tire assemblies in the car:

Old 03-01-2020, 12:43 PM   #176
Tim M

Arrived back in Germany and had few hours to put toward the car...

Ordered a new passenger side cat gasket - thanks to Rock Auto - GM PN 21992620:

My one sensor fatality - oil pressure when I sheared the little clip bump off due to carelessness- GM PN 55488247:

Interesting point - supercharger without the throttle body - weighs in just shy of 69 pounds - ugh!:

My assistant was wondered why so many bolts!!!:

Insulator pad installed:

Blower to LT1 cylinder head adapter plates...these are quality except mine lacked acceptable threads for the blower to plate connection...two of the 10 bolts didn't take the 89 in/pounds (~7 ft/lbs).

I made a inquiry with ADM and promptly got a phone call back (note it was international!) Don't think I've ever had a US company call me - hats off. He called to confirm the issue and noting the problem - is sending new plates first thing Monday. Another big kudos. Of course this means a 2 week delay and missing the Ring open day - weather is likely a downer as it was. Interestingly, these plates are ICT Billet...so not even an ADM issue other than was included in their kit.

Only modification to the blower - was the removal of this hollow dowel...also note the blower mounting bolt (10 total)...you must trim the nub and 2 threads off or the bolt will bottom on the cylinder head as it is screwed into the adapter:

Heat exchanger - couldn't even get the scale to register - obviously without water:

Had to drill new holes for the exchanger as well as Dremel clearance for the nut clips in the plastic shroud. I noted the OEM mounting on the ZL1 is likely behind the shroud surface while this add on mounting is on the front side - requiring one to trim the plastic air 'fences' that prevent air from exiting the radiator 'channel'. I didn't see where it was recommended to keep these, but if Chevy included...I spent some time with the Dremel contouring around the heat exchanger mounting to maintain original intent. Hoping to preserve what cooling and/or aerodynamic drag as able:

And:

Complete:

Looks pretty good:

Embarrassingly, having issues installing the blower belt - almost appears too short??? MTF
Old 03-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #177
Tim M

Took 4 hands to install the belt - had to remove a pulley to finesse it in place:

Also tended to the supercharger cooling reservoir...weighed in at 2 pounds (empty):

Had to order a special pinch clamp pliers for the radiator hose. Typically can use a set of pliers, but this clamp is in a difficult position - thanks Amazon.de by Wednesday.
Old 03-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #178
Tim M

Took half a day to attend the Stuttgart Retro Classics show...quite a huge production. The halls were jam packed with non-new automobile interest...located adjacent to the Stuttgart airport. 20 Euro was a worth the price...

9 of these halls were filled:

Neat!:

Not sure what this is...other than art?:

Old 03-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #179
Tim M

Bit slow going due to life, but finally got several hours to apply toward the car...all complete except the new tune upload and initial start!

My $20 pinch hose clamp pliers...attempted to use and on first squeeze - came apart in grand fashion...OEM GM main radiator hose clamps proved to be too much!:

I resorted to cutting the hose and accessing the clamp with good old channel locks.

Swapped left brace for one that allowed mounting the electric water pump (supercharger coolant)...this was a bit discerning - had to lower the front aluminum subframe to sneak the bracket in and out as it was sandwiched between the subframe and frame. Really no issues...6 large bolts per side...not even very high torque:

Shot of my trimmed air deflectors - some leave them out - I think they will be important at 180+ mph:

Looks pretty good!

Even checked off a brake fluid refresh while the car was laid up:

Tomorrow hope to figure out the HP Tuners deal and see if it will start. I still have issues with three open connectors (EVAP, Bypass Valve, and something else)...also need to wire the electric water pump...and the Ring is open!

Last edited by Tim M; 03-11-2020 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 05:27 PM   #180
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Looks great, Tim, hope she will start up with no issues and you'll enjoy the +200 hp at the Ring

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #181
Tim M

arpad_m: Agree...although more HP will make the Ring even more treacherous...

Flashed the car tonight and after 10 revolutions...fired right up to a smooth 650 rpm idle! Amazing modern technology...650+ hp. Crazy.

Success!

Let the tuning begin...
Old 03-10-2020, 08:34 PM   #182
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
arpad_m: Agree...although more HP will make the Ring even more treacherous...

Flashed the car tonight and after 10 revolutions...fired right up to a smooth 650 rpm idle! Amazing modern technology...650+ hp. Crazy.

Success!

Let the tuning begin...
Awesome!
Rather than the ring, might be more interesting on the autobahn some nice quiet Sunday morning since you already topped out the stock 1LE.