Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
Smoke-in

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
LT-1 Porting

Getting ready to purchase the MSD intake, and install a stage 3 cam.
What's the deal with match porting? Do you need to pull the heads off to port the MSD to heads? With the cam I want, pretty sure I will need to up grade the valve springs, Do I need to send heads, manifold, and TB out to a shop to get match ported????? I know I will need a complete tune following work.
Got Kooks, full AWE, no cats now, and E-85 in place now.
Educate me!!!
Smoke-in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Just get a Pray ported MSD intake. That one will be correct.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #3
Smoke-in

So what does Pray do?
Take a MSD IM and bench port to a set of stock heads??
Old 02-01-2020, 12:07 AM   #4
LESS1

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-in View Post
Getting ready to purchase the MSD intake, and install a stage 3 cam.
What's the deal with match porting? Do you need to pull the heads off to port the MSD to heads? With the cam I want, pretty sure I will need to up grade the valve springs, Do I need to send heads, manifold, and TB out to a shop to get match ported????? I know I will need a complete tune following work.
Got Kooks, full AWE, no cats now, and E-85 in place now.
Educate me!!!
You should get in touch with a reputable builder for help selecting your parts combo. This way everything works together without creating any conflicts. Such as too large a cam with really poor low lift flow numbers..etc. As for port matching the idea is to make sure the intake manifold and cylinder head intake ports are all sized the same or just a little bit bigger on the cyl head intake port. The idea is to match both port sizes to equalize flow and avoid conflicts. Don't burn cash selecting parts if you aren't up to speed with these things. Better to find someone that can help you pick the best combo for your performance goals and do this one time to avoid replacing parts that don't work well together. No offense intended here.
LESS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
^ This.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:16 AM   #6
Smoke-in

No offence taken!
Just trying to figure out how Pray can send out an MSD manifold as a one size fits all? Ported to stock heads? In my mind, the heads need to come off and sent in to match port. Got to be variances between stock heads! Except for machine work, I try to do all mechanic work on my car myself, but I get the idea of a balanced build. I'm in the home work stage now!! A good tune at the end will be another thing I will need to search out.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
squish72

Drives: 2016 2SS 8AT
most porting of the intake isnt so much port matching but more porting and cleaning up the intake venturis to allow air to flow better in the intake itself. Yes the ends that match up with the heads will be opened up more then the stock intake but the extra flashing from the molding process is a big part that gets cleaned up

Last edited by squish72; 02-03-2020 at 05:01 PM.
squish72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
RobbyBeefcake87

I think if you have the means to do, send your heads out to Pray for porting as well as the msd. Or talk to him about it, he obviously knows his stuff with 6th gens.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE - GM cai, black bowties, suede knee bolsters, 1le plate frame, black fuel door, dark tails + 3rd brake light, euro side markers + led's, GM all weather floor mats, velossatech big mouth, GM strut brace.
2017 Corvette Grandsport (sold) - untouched.
2006 GTO (sold) - iat relocation, air box mod, monero side marker lights.
RobbyBeefcake87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #9
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
matching the ports to the intake has a very minor, nearly insignificant impact on flow, as counterintuitive as that sounds. This is true regardless of whether it's a positive or negative step. One engine builder told me about using an oval port intake on rectangular port big block heads with decent results.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:24 AM   #10
Smoke-in

Great info!!
Need to more understand this new age tech stuff. Built a lot of Chevy motors 30-40 years ago, Both big and Sm block! But never have I installed a plastic intake!! That's progress, and I for one am amazed at the engineering that went into this LT-1 engine. and the LT-4 as well! Taking baby steps right now, but I will plan on sending heads out to somebody.
I think my big challenge will be choosing the right cam. I will want to go as aggressive as possible with out changing out the lifters. Springs and push rods yes, but hopefully not lifters. Any suggestions ????
Old 02-04-2020, 01:22 PM   #11
Tim M

Unfortunately, the lifters are a bit of a problem area...DOD complications.
Old 02-04-2020, 04:28 PM   #12
AcmeCamaro
Acme

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I too am in the homework stage. I just sent pray a email to start on a plan.

But if it helps with your cam selection.... some of the name brand cams offer a compete cam install kit with there cam. I went with lingenfelter gt32 cam. I believe the install kit was an additional 900 bucks but it's new gaskets rollers springs lifters dod/afm delete plugs etc... absolutely everything you'll need for the install. Well worth it in my opinion. Even though price wise lingenfelter is very proud of their product lol. Worth it I'm hoping
Cold Inductions intake
Flex Fuel converstion
MSD Ignition System
HPtuner
American Flag Half wrap
AcmeCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:21 PM   #13
Smoke-in

Is E Mail the best way to contact Pray? Been looking for a number, but not found it yet.
Seems to do a lot on Face Book PM's
Old 02-05-2020, 06:55 PM   #14
Frankie18SS

Drives: 18 Camaro 2SS, 07 Saturn Ion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-in View Post
Is E Mail the best way to contact Pray? Been looking for a number, but not found it yet.
Seems to do a lot on Face Book PM's
Yes, FB PMs is how I contacted him.

Tags
18-2ss-1le-m-6