Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 01-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #1
Thomp

Drives: 2018 Nightfall gray metallic ZL1
anyone here do their own cam swap??

I bought the helms, a whiplash cam kit, new 9.1 with balancer, the katech afm delete valley tray, a katech 103, headers, and am patiently waiting for the new Maggie 2650..
there doesn't appear to be a lot of info out there for the diy 6th gen lt1/lt4

I already 3d printed the en-51267
ill be pulling the heads and was contemplating getting the weapon x chiller...im already in over my head...my as well tie an anchor to my beltloop, lol
Thomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:48 PM   #2
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Do you think the Helms manual will be able to guide you through the entire process (minus the tuning)?
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:11 PM   #3
Torquem
Bannable

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
I'd do a cam swap on an LS motor all day long. Cake. The LT's look a little more daunting.

2017 ZL1 A10 - Hyper Blue Metallic
Rotofab CAI, TM ported TB, AWE non res touring catback with PLP's
Torquem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:22 PM   #4
parish8

Drives: 17 SS a8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquem View Post
I'd do a cam swap on an LS motor all day long. Cake. The LT's look a little more daunting.

Nope. Not much worse. Doing the cam phase limiter or lock out was new to me but other than that nothing that tricky. Doing it in the car might be a bitch. Didn’t try that.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #5
Thomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL14ME View Post
Do you think the Helms manual will be able to guide you through the entire process (minus the tuning)?
Yep.
I've done motor builds and cams in other cars. This has all the torque specs and will answer whatever questions I might get stumped by. Plus it's written by gm for gm mechanics. After talking to the mechanics at the dealer, they use them and YouTube all the time, lol.

The cam phase limiter is the only thing that's odd, but theres a lot of info out about that. Not too worried about that part. Amazing how pricey that little piece is.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #6
scooter k

Drives: ex-wife's car
I did it in the car and tore it down a second time to completely lock out the cam phaser. First time wasn't bad the second time sucked. Maybe because I couldn't believe I was doing it again? I just pulled the pan and timing cover the second time.
scooter k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #7
ZL14ME

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomp View Post
Yep.
I've done motor builds and cams in other cars. This has all the torque specs and will answer whatever questions I might get stumped by. Plus it's written by gm for gm mechanics. After talking to the mechanics at the dealer, they use them and YouTube all the time, lol.

The cam phase limiter is the only thing that's odd, but theres a lot of info out about that. Not too worried about that part. Amazing how pricey that little piece is.
You plan on pulling the engine or no? I’ve also done similar projects but never on a Chevy so there were a few extra cams. There’s not a ton of info or write ups on cam swaps or step-by-step’s for builds so I’ve just been watching and waiting.
ZL14ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:10 AM   #8
Thomp

I'm not sure. When I get a closer look at it I will have to make a decision. I know there's shops that do it with it in the car still...