Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Road_Warrior85

Drives: IBM 2SSRS, 12 Jeep Wrangler 4door
Send a message via Yahoo to Road_Warrior85
Jump to a 6th Gen, or just keep my 5th Gen?

I'm so torn and I keep going back and forth.

I love my car, I think the 5th Gen is still every bit as gorgeous as it ever was (well, if you have a 10-13. The refreshed front/rear was a step backwards for 14-15).
But I sure do love the 6th gen (18 and under at least. Once again, the refresh was a fail).

I can't decide if I want to keep mine, or make the jump to a 2018.

-My car is paid for, and that is always a great reason to keep it instead of taking on a new payment...... but, its got 159,000 miles and I'm paranoid about when it will finally start to show age and need costly repairs.

-I've got a big dent in the rear quarter from a deer hitting me, and there's plenty of scratches, door dings, and rock chips all over the rest of the car. (I've been quoted at $1k to fix the dent and paint the quarter, $3.5k to repaint the car and paint stripes back on)

-The stock HIDs are shot. I regularly think my lights are off at night, even though they are on. When a car is behind me, I leave a shadow on the road/cars ahead of me. (replacing those lights doesn't seem to be even remotely cheap from what I have read)

-I always said I wanted to do Headers, intake, tuning, GFX, grille, lowering springs and spoiler....... But all I ever ended up doing was a cat back, sound system, and tinted windows....... and now, at this point, I question the value in trying to do all that now (especially since they don't make half of that stuff anymore for the 10-13 models)

-The stock CD player/Radio doesn't do it for me, so I would need to upgrade that to something modern that can connect with my Android and play music through my apps.

So as much as I love my car, I question the value in putting so much work and money into it now...... especially with the risk of somebody hitting me and totaling it just after I drop 30-40% of the car's current value back into it.

I would love to have it with a fresh paint job and a few mods, then run it until the motor blows and rebuild it with a 416 stroker kit....... but if I'm this on the fence now, I feel it will only get worse between now and when that motor failure finally happens.... and at that point, I may not want to do all this.

I've had it for 2 months shy of 10 years.... its been a good run. Do I really want to make it a forever car? .... or do I jump into a 2018 with all the modern refinements and technologies, and run it for 10 years too?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:52 AM   #2
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Have you had a chance to drive a 6th Gen SS yet? The 5th Gen is still a great car, so some folks may not feel that it's that much different as long as you aren't comparing windy back road handling. Others feel that it's a huge difference. It's always good to formulate your own opinion on the subjective stuff.

But, that is quite a few miles on your old one. And the MRC is pretty awesome on the 6th gen too. Also, the 5th gens held their value better than the 6th gens, so you can probably find a good deal in a 6th gen.

I can make an argument for either case, but based off of the mileage and wear and tear you descibed, it sounds like the 6th gen is a much easier route than repairs and mods to the 5th, and I think that's your best bet. You get a lighter more nimble car, availble dual mode exhaust, mrc, extra tech, available 1LE package, etc...

But definately go drive one to make sure what the 6th gen does better than the 5th is the type of thing you are interseted in and makes it worth it. There is a lot of opinion in that, and the only one that matters in this case is yours...
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
A 17SS with Mag Ride is the way to go!
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
WarlockCamaro

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
Me personally I would make the switch to the newer models (18-below), but the choice in the end is up to you.
WarlockCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #5
Nameless

Drives: :
When I read your post I think the biggest question I would have is if that car is your only daily driver. If it is then trading to something newer makes sense. If you can make the 5th gen a secondary car, fix and paint it up with the savings in car payments you aren't making. That would be my thought process anyway.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
i was going to get a brand new 5th gen ss but couldnt afford it so i got a brand new cobalt ss built my credit saved up some more money and got my 16 camaro ss brand new off the lot...no regrets here and super happy

6th gen > 5th gens
Old 06-19-2019, 01:24 PM   #7
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
As someone who really, really found it hard to part with my 5th gen, I can surely appreciate your position.

Truth is, I would test drive a newer SS and see if you fit and like it... if so... trade on up...

You can always keep your current car for something to go beat on at the track...or something to drive on bad weather days at least..
Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I owned a 5th Gen SS for 4 1/2 years and 34 K miles. It was great! I sold it for reasons that did not include how much I loved the car and that it was the most fun car I'd owned out of dozens and dozens of cars in my life.

Two years later I got back in the game with a 6th Gen SS. I have now owned it 3 years and 23 K miles. It is better in almost every way. The handling, performance, the features and electronics - all superior. I still reminisce about the 5th gen as it truly was a great car. I also have no regrets that I now own a 6th gen. It now has become the most fun all time best car I've owned.

As many have said - only you will know for sure what you want after you test drive a 6th gen. As I see it - you have a car you really like now - so its a no lose situation if you go drive a 6th gen and it doesn't do it for you.

Good luck with your decision.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:14 PM   #9
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
Get a 6th Gen. Your car has served you well, so upgrade it. I had a 2011 SS and although it was nice, I bought it used and it had scratches all over it with over 40K miles on it. I absolutely love the 6th gen Camaros and saw a brand new 2017 RS that I had to have. So I traded in my 2011.

The 6th gen are lighter and have way better visibility that the 5th Gen's. I loved the 2017 except it was plagued with the 8 speed automatic and it spent more time at the dealership just waiting in queue with all of the other 8 speed automatics with problems for flushes and torque converter replacement. The trans was never right so I traded it in for a Mustang GT- which had engine problems- oh boy. So I sold that I am now back to a 6th Gen- a used 2016. Got it for a great price with super low 6K miles- paid cash, no payment. Love it and love the 6 speed manual. I only wish I got the manual in the 2017 to begin with!
Old 06-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #10
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
I can’t recommend the 6th gen enough! Everything about it is just perfect imo. Hope to see you in one soon my guy
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #11
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I too had a 2010 2SS LS3 6 speed with mods but when the 2016 6 gen came out I bought a 2016 2SS with the 6 speed after test driving it. The 6 gen is a totally different Camaro than the 5th gen in a lot of ways. I liked the 6 gen so much I traded my 2016 SS back in March of this year for a low mileage used 2017 ZL1 that I really enjoy! I would say to look for a used ZL1 to buy instead of an SS but that would be your call due to your financial situation. I feel you can’t go wrong with a 6 gen SS or ZL1 and I agree putting a lot of money in your 5th gen might not be worth it! If you test drive a 6 gen be aware you may be hooked like most of us were!
Old 06-19-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
Roadwarrior, you have been on the forum as long as me. Remember the excitement of getting our 5th gens. I got rid of mine and I still regret it. I love my 6 gen and will hold on to this one......I recommend keeping the 5th gen as a weekend/toy car.... work on it as time and money allow to make it what you envisioned it to be.....get a 6th gen as your DD so the 5th gen can now rest after doing such a great job for 10 years.
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:10 PM   #13
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
Get the 6th Gen. Keep the 5th Gen and work on getting it back into shape as money and time permits. That way no deciding one or the other.....
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:35 PM   #14
4824guy
18 RS V6 A8 NFG-NPP

Drives: 18' Camaro RS-NGM-V6 A8-NPP
I think any car with 159k miles would be soon due for upcoming mechanical problems from normal age related problems and will likely cause big repair bills. Even the defects you have now with the car will cost money to have them repaired if you want them fixed, and the problems will continue to get worse, it is bound to happen. I would recommend, if it were me, to see what the car is worth and get a plan to sell to or trade it in for something newer with less miles.