Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 10-29-2019, 06:40 AM   #15
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
As a commuter car, I love my V6- fast enough, great gas mileage, light front end for great cornering. But for anything to race on a track of the 1/4 mile, etc. I'd personally get an SS and not even bother to mod the V6. The tranny is stronger- manual anyway and since you can buy a 1LE ready to race with all the coolers, etc. and hit the track, might as well. Then if you want more power in that there are so many more options you can do as opposed to the V6.

I'd have two Camaros if I could afford it- the V6, M6 as my commuter since it gets almost as much the same gas mileage as a crappy Civic or Corolla. And I'd get a 1LE for weekends and the track. I paid only 19K for my used V6, M6, about the same if not less than a crappy econo cookie cutter, leaving a some on the table to buy a 1LE. But I can't, I have to retire someday so no 1LE for me at this stage in my life.
Old 11-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
Epx998
|Engineer|

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Save the cash, trade in for a V8.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:12 AM   #17
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
I think the entire point of arguing between the two options is that you end up paying as much or close to getting the v8 vs the supercharger. Not that the v8 is cheaper, since barring some used option, it isn't.

So there is no saving your cash. There is just, spend it and be at the limit of what you can do to the car without rebuilding the engine or get a V8 and have room to expand later if you want.

Still, that's a one dimensional look at it. There are tangible benefits the v6 has over the v8 that remain after a supercharger. There is also the concern of switching to an unknown new car with all the potential issues that come with that vs your known good car. There's insurance differences between the v8 and v6 .

Though when you consider that even the stock v6 is fast enough to be way faster than most people anywhere drive and so you are limited by the slow to accelerate public, the reality seems to be that not only is the supercharger unnecessary and will hardly ever get to stretch it's legs, the entire v8 lineup is Overkill that will constantly get limited by everyone else on the road.

More power just seems like you are asking to be frustrated all the time... Or you are paying for power you will never use.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:15 AM   #18
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Though when you consider that even the stock v6 is fast enough to be way faster than most people anywhere drive and so you are limited by the slow to accelerate public, the reality seems to be that not only is the supercharger unnecessary and will hardly ever get to stretch it's legs, the entire v8 lineup is Overkill that will constantly get limited by everyone else on the road.
I see what you did there

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #19
cellsafemode

It is though. Even the stock v6 doesn't have to try to be way faster than just about anyone else on the road... To the point where you are multiple car lengths in front of everyone without trying or frustrated as hell being stuck behind people while making use of maybe 80hp-100hp for the next 20 seconds while accelerating to maybe 50.

If that's fine for you, why pay for all that power you aren't using. And if you are ok with only making use of the power you are paying for so you can experience it only on a track, then logical arguments about what to spend your money on don't apply. So someone who is ok with a V8 can be just as ok with a v6 and supercharger. The reason for getting either is going to be too subjective
Old 11-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
It is though. Even the stock v6 doesn't have to try to be way faster than just about anyone else on the road... To the point where you are multiple car lengths in front of everyone without trying or frustrated as hell being stuck behind people while making use of maybe 80hp-100hp for the next 20 seconds while accelerating to maybe 50.

If that's fine for you, why pay for all that power you aren't using. And if you are ok with only making use of the power you are paying for so you can experience it only on a track, then logical arguments about what to spend your money on don't apply. So someone who is ok with a V8 can be just as ok with a v6 and supercharger. The reason for getting either is going to be too subjective
Hey, I thought you dropped a subtle hint. Yes, your point is absolutely valid, there is little practical use for V8, let alone supercharged V8 power on the street. Near instant high torque is more of a difference between the V6 and the V8, though, and it definitely matters to some. I had a V6 first and I thought it'd be enough, it should've been by all logical means, but I misjudged myself.

As you stated, all this is very subjective, we are all different and I for one don't mind paying for a feature (in this case, power) that I will only use 1-2% of the time, but it is reassuring to know it is there, on tap, available at any time. Rational? Not at all, but then buying a Camaro in the first place isn't a rational move either

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:45 PM   #21
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Ultimately for me, the main question isn't supercharging my V6. There are 3 options now to supercharge. My question is, which one is the best? Overkill seems good as we have drivers that have them installed. However, there is a dealer nearby in Indy that sells and installs ProCharger superchargers, with a warranty. But as of yet I haven't seen anyone here post information about them, let alone Edelbrock.

I'd like to hold off making the purchase until there's more information, but I'm unsure that will ever happen.
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:46 PM   #22
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulCyphyr71 View Post
Ultimately for me, the main question isn't supercharging my V6. There are 3 options now to supercharge. My question is, which one is the best? Overkill seems good as we have drivers that have them installed. However, there is a dealer nearby in Indy that sells and installs ProCharger superchargers, with a warranty. But as of yet I haven't seen anyone here post information about them, let alone Edelbrock.

I'd like to hold off making the purchase until there's more information, but I'm unsure that will ever happen.
So, I’m in the same boat as you, but I’ll be purchasing a SC for Black Friday. That being said, after researching the three brands I’m leaning towards the Tuner Kit from Edelbrock and buying an Overkill tune.

I currently have a Trifecta tune from Black Friday a couple years ago which was a mistake because they don’t offer forced induction tuning I just found out.

Iirc someone did post here about getting the V6 Procharger kit but they have a 1LE.

Here are my biggest takeaways:
-All kits have an option to include a tune. However, Overkill offers free lifetime tune revisions.

-Pricing for Stage 1 kits with tune as of 11/4/19 = Edelbrock $4,999.87, Overkill $5,899.00, Procharger $6,099.00.

-HP/Torque gains (according to each vendor’s website) = Edelbrock 376whp/319lbft, Overkill 366whp/299lbft, Procharger ???whp/???lbft [Note: I haven’t found a procharger dyno sheet that wasn’t the 1LE I mentioned earlier, and their website doesn’t list one. Instead, they claim a 45% gain in HP so take from that what you like]

-Edelbrock and Procharger offer limited warranties with PC’s seeming more strict (your vehicle must be less than 3 years old and have less than 36,000 miles from what I read)

-Boost levels: Edelbrock 10 psi, Overkill 8-16 psi, Procharger 7 psi

-Overkill also offers a catch can system with their kit

Now, there are a variety of other differences that I haven’t mentioned but those were my biggest takeaways. Hope this helps (and I’m hoping it’s all as accurate as I tried to make it lol)

Last edited by dgriff14; 11-04-2019 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Wordy
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:52 PM   #23
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:

Here’s the original Procharger post from a forum member: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550420

And here’s a post about the Edelbrock kit: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547846
Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #24
cellsafemode

edelbrock is the only one that is 50 state legal.

Because of that, it's also probably the only one that would allow you to (with some minor tweaking) use aftermarket intakes that already exist (though that would technically negate the carb approval, since none of the aftermarket intakes are carb approved)

The pro's for the edelbrock kit seem to outweigh any of the pro's for choosing any of the other kits unless there's some longevity / maintenance concerns that shift things in favor of a centrifugal SC.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
SoulCyphyr71

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriff14 View Post
Here’s the original Procharger post from a forum member: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550420

And here’s a post about the Edelbrock kit: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=547846
Thank you for the information dgriff14. And I'm curious. Are you planning on purchasing the Edelbrock and self-installing? Or finding a shop to do the install?
SoulCyphyr71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:40 PM   #26
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Thank you for the information dgriff14. And I'm curious. Are you planning on purchasing the Edelbrock and self-installing? Or finding a shop to do the install?
Absolutely, and I’m planning on self installing with a little help from my fiancée, my brother, and a friend lol. Instructions seem pretty clear (which I like a lot) and they say it can be done in a weekend.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 PM   #27
Tuner2muscle

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
V6 Supercharger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgriff14 View Post
So, I’m in the same boat as you, but I’ll be purchasing a SC for Black Friday. That being said, after researching the three brands I’m leaning towards the Tuner Kit from Edelbrock and buying an Overkill tune.

I currently have a Trifecta tune from Black Friday a couple years ago which was a mistake because they don’t offer forced induction tuning I just found out.

Iirc someone did post here about getting the V6 Procharger kit but they have a 1LE.

Here are my biggest takeaways:
-All kits have an option to include a tune. However, Overkill offers free lifetime tune revisions.

-Pricing for Stage 1 kits with tune as of 11/4/19 = Edelbrock $4,999.87, Overkill $5,899.00, Procharger $6,099.00.

-HP/Torque gains (according to each vendor’s website) = Edelbrock 376whp/319lbft, Overkill 366whp/299lbft, Procharger ???whp/???lbft [Note: I haven’t found a procharger dyno sheet that wasn’t the 1LE I mentioned earlier, and their website doesn’t list one. Instead, they claim a 45% gain in HP so take from that what you like]

-Edelbrock and Procharger offer limited warranties with PC’s seeming more strict (your vehicle must be less than 3 years old and have less than 36,000 miles from what I read)

-Boost levels: Edelbrock 10 psi, Overkill 8-16 psi, Procharger 7 psi

-Overkill also offers a catch can system with their kit

Now, there are a variety of other differences that I haven’t mentioned but those were my biggest takeaways. Hope this helps (and I’m hoping it’s all as accurate as I tried to make it lol)
Also looking into this.. have you considered Janetty for the tune?
Any particular place you're looking at for the black friday sale on edelbrock?
Tuner2muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:48 PM   #28
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuner2muscle View Post
Also looking into this.. have you considered Janetty for the tune?
Any particular place you're looking at for the black friday sale on edelbrock?
I’m not familiar with Janetty, and direct from the Edelbrock website