Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-25-2019, 12:11 AM   #1
thecamaroproject246

Drives: 2016 Chevrolet Camaro RS
Procharger loophole in CA

I'm really interested in getting a supercharger on my car, but many of the centrifugal kits are not legal here in CA due to CARB. So hypothetically if I go out of state, say the next state over, and get the kit installed there it would make it technically an illegal car in CA but its not like law enforcement are going know what kits are CARB legal or not. All hypothetical of course, but would that work? Or would shops just turn be down because the car is registered in CA.
thecamaroproject246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 01:51 AM   #2
RobertAvitia
BYND GARAGE

Drives: 17' 1LT Turbo
You can find shops that will install it here in Cali. Just as an “off road or not for street use” car *wink wink*
RobertAvitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 02:38 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Why get the procharger (centrifugal) when there is now a carb compliant option from Edelbrock?
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #4
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
You can do whatever you want to do to the car. If a cop checks under the hood and you get a ticket you will no longer be able to drive it or sell it in Ca. You will have to get everything signed off by a state referee.

At that point I would just sell it for a loss in a different state.
Or just install carb approved stuff.
Don't ask me how I know...:(
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
Why get the procharger (centrifugal) when there is now a carb compliant option from Edelbrock?
Mainly because from a previous post procharger had a 150hp gain for the V6 with proven dyno results. And the Edelbrock just came out and no one (as of yet) has come out with real street results for Edelbrock. Plus Edelbrock only shows a little over 100 hp gain on 10 psi of boost. Procharger is showing 150 with 7psi. Granted I'm no expert so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but prochargers results just seem more efficient given more power with less pound feet of boost. So in the long run it would easier on the engine and possibly more efficient.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #6
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
you can do it in cali but if you get pulled over or have to smog it and dont have the carb legal number your screwed up to you!
Old 09-25-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
Eric10905
Geezer_loves_Camaros

Drives: 2018 2SS, Black, A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamaroproject246 View Post
I'm really interested in getting a supercharger on my car, but many of the centrifugal kits are not legal here in CA due to CARB. So hypothetically if I go out of state, say the next state over, and get the kit installed there it would make it technically an illegal car in CA but its not like law enforcement are going know what kits are CARB legal or not. All hypothetical of course, but would that work? Or would shops just turn be down because the car is registered in CA.

I've not really looked at this (Not in CA, so don't have to;-). And I'm not sure this can be used adapted to the V6, but procharger does offer a 50 state/CARB legal option.

https://www.procharger.com/automotiv...maro-ss-lt1-eo
Eric10905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric10905 View Post
I've not really looked at this (Not in CA, so don't have to;-). And I'm not sure this can be used adapted to the V6, but procharger does offer a 50 state/CARB legal option.

https://www.procharger.com/automotiv...maro-ss-lt1-eo
EO number only applies to the specific model it was built for (given my limited knowledge of CA lol). But if Edelbrock makes a CARB compliant blower for your car, that seems like a no brainer.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:26 AM   #9
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie-G View Post
You can do whatever you want to do to the car. If a cop checks under the hood and you get a ticket you will no longer be able to drive it or sell it in Ca. You will have to get everything signed off by a state referee.

At that point I would just sell it for a loss in a different state.
Or just install carb approved stuff.
Don't ask me how I know...:(
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but do you mean if you get it signed by a referee does that mean it excuses the car and I can no longer sell it, or does that just mean the car won't be confiscated from me and I'd essentially just have a car I can't driver sell in CA
Old 09-28-2019, 01:08 PM   #10
Paulie-G

Drives: 2SS 1LE & ZR2
Quote:
I don't want to sound like an idiot, but do you mean if you get it signed by a referee does that mean it excuses the car and I can no longer sell it, or does that just mean the car won't be confiscated from me and I'd essentially just have a car I can't driver sell in CA
If you mod the car without carb compliant parts and get caught, you will have to remove all of the non compliant parts then go to the state referee.
You cant go to the local smog guy to fix the problem.
You can't sell or drive the car in Ca until the state signs off.

Personally, I would only go as far as a full long tube hedder system because I can change it out myself no problem. I have no problem installing a blower either. I don't want to do that job twice.
And no, you don't sound like an idiot.
This state is heavy handed imo.
Paulie-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 10:21 PM   #11
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Man having a nice car and wanting to go fast in Cali must suck! Not to thread jack but what if I wanted to bring my car to cali from IL would I then have to put it back to stock?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:09 PM   #12
thecamaroproject246

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC88 View Post
Man having a nice car and wanting to go fast in Cali must suck! Not to thread jack but what if I wanted to bring my car to cali from IL would I then have to put it back to stock?
If you have a blower installed in your car I would do some research on it and see if your blower comes CARB legal. It seems most of the manufactures that makes SS blowers take the time and $ to make it CARB legal. Given most people who are willing to spend the money for forced induction just go the V8 route anyways. Us V6 guys are unfortunately in the minority when it comes to supercharging :(
If you’re planning on moving here and having your vehicle registered to CA you’d have to get your car smog checked (idk if IL already makes you do so). And if your blower isn’t CARB legal you’d have to go back to stock :/ but there’s plenty of options for the SS that are CARB legal so you’re at little to no loss.
Old 10-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #13
dgriff14
waddupdgriff

Drives: Supercharged 2016 2LT RS
Quote:
Mainly because from a previous post procharger had a 150hp gain for the V6 with proven dyno results. And the Edelbrock just came out and no one (as of yet) has come out with real street results for Edelbrock. Plus Edelbrock only shows a little over 100 hp gain on 10 psi of boost. Procharger is showing 150 with 7psi. Granted I'm no expert so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but prochargers results just seem more efficient given more power with less pound feet of boost. So in the long run it would easier on the engine and possibly more efficient.
Where did you find those 150+ synopsis sheets from ProChargee? I was looking on the website and only found a vague “45+ HP gain” with no dyno sheet

Update: Nvm, I saw the original post you were referring to lol

Last edited by dgriff14; 10-12-2019 at 09:50 AM.
dgriff14 is offline   Reply With Quote