Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-25-2019, 08:27 PM   #4047
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
I read a test of the new C8 where it ran an 11.2@122
The best it did so far was 11.1 and I think that was at 121 or 122 MPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Looks like 11:00s @ 128 in less than ideal conditions so far.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DY_psH...ource=ig_embed
I notice that whenever they run a Mustang they make sure to detail every single thing that might make it look better. 10 MPH Headwind, humidity, whatever. When the ZL1 ran 11.4 we didn't hear any excuses on why. When the C8 did 11.1 I don't remember any details on the run. So the GT500 did a 11 flat period. Plain and simple. If it happens to go faster at some other point in time then so be it. But to sit here trying to make it look better than what it looks like is silly.

Not for nothin, but at this point it is only 4 tenths faster than the ZL1, 1 tenth faster than the C8 Z51, a little over 1 tenth slower than the C7 Z06, and slower than the ZR1. Each of those cars with exception of the ZR1 and Z06 is significantly cheaper BTW (Z06 is right around the same price). And it is slower than the RE and slower than what we have seen from the Hellcat.

I would say at this point it ain't lookin good for the GT500 if the best it could do is 11 flat. If it gets a 10.9 then that still isn't really all too impressive. It is even worse if that is the CF version which I assume it is since they don't mention it.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 PM   #4048
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post

I notice that whenever they run a Mustang they make sure to detail every single thing that might make it look better. 10 MPH Headwind, humidity, whatever. When the ZL1 ran 11.4 we didn't hear any excuses on why. When the C8 did 11.1 I don't remember any details on the run. So the GT500 did a 11 flat period. Plain and simple. If it happens to go faster at some other point in time then so be it. But to sit here trying to make it look better than what it looks like is silly.

Not for nothin, but at this point it is only 4 tenths faster than the ZL1, 1 tenth faster than the C8 Z51, a little over 1 tenth slower than the C7 Z06, and slower than the ZR1. Each of those cars with exception of the ZR1 and Z06 is significantly cheaper BTW (Z06 is right around the same price). And it is slower than the RE and slower than what we have seen from the Hellcat.

I would say at this point it ain't lookin good for the GT500 if the best it could do is 11 flat. If it gets a 10.9 then that still isn't really all too impressive. It is even worse if that is the CF version which I assume it is since they don't mention it.
Look at the track prep for the C8 time, them look at the gt500 track prep. Then they will keep testing the gt500 to keep getting better times. To bad they don’t go through that much trouble with Camaro or C8 times.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:08 PM   #4049
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Look at the track prep for the C8 time, them look at the gt500 track prep. Then they will keep testing the gt500 to keep getting better times. To bad they don’t go through that much trouble with Camaro or C8 times.
REVan Evan will do an “independent” test ...because “Ford” doesn’t publish performance times.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:45 PM   #4050
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
I think it's because they are disappointed in it. Mentioning a 10 MPH headwind is silly. Unless the wind was constant, which we don't know, then it makes no sense to even mention it. It could have been still wind for the time they ran down the track. And how do we even know there was any head wind at all for that matter? And they don't even mention which one of the two GT500s they were testing. And for all we know the ZL1 could have had a 20 MPH headwind for the one time they tested it. It certainly didn't get or need excuses and super ideal conditions.

I called low 11s on the GT500 and as of right now it is 11 flat...closer to 11.1 tho. And more than likely that is with an Evans-type driving it which means this might be the best we'll see out of it. People were expecting 10.5 and 10.7 lol!! Maybe it will do that. But I doubt it. But if this is the best it does then that looks really bad for the price.

If that is the CF version, then that would mean the standard version is slower. Which means that the C8 at 11.1 will beat the standard GT500 in the quarter mile, lol!! That would sting like Hell to all the GT500 buyers. A $65K 495 HP C8 beats the $75K 765 HP GT500 in the quarter mile. Oh man!! Again that is if the GT500 in this testing is the CF version. Now what if the standard GT500 can only manage an 11.3-11.5? LOL!! And not only that, but we know the C8 and the ZL1 both will have a higher top speed...and if it beats the GT500 around a track... !! At this point I don't even know what to say.
Old 10-25-2019, 11:19 PM   #4051
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

I went digging to see some of my predictions...
Quote:
Moving on from the troll comment...

I wonder if the GT500 will actually do a 10 sec when it is tested. Mustangs are not exactly known for getting the power to the ground effectively when stock. And I'm sure Ford chose to go the cheap route somewhere which will probably be the axles. The HP and TQ will probably overwhelm the tires and suspension when trying to launch and it'll either end up in a wall or oncoming traffic or a crowd of people or off a cliff. It will have a high MPH but probably an 11.2 or 11.2. I'm betting the C8 and ZL1 will be on it's heels due to being a much better balanced and better controlled platform. I just don't have much faith that the GT500 will be good at launching.
Quote:
Mustang guys want (and need) every advantage they can get. If it were up to them they'd put the CF GT500 up against the ZL1 instead of the ZLE. I mean it's not enough that the GT500 has an extra 110 HP, DCT, and is $10K more than the ZL1. And it's not enough that the ZL1 took on the GT350R (which was the best Mustang at the time) instead of the non-R. And then they completely bypassed testing the ZLE against any Mustang because it would have been a total slaughter. But the GT500 can't go up against the ZLE according to newmoon, lol! Give me a break. They probably won't put it up against the ZLE because they wanna protect their buyer's feelings. They don't want to see their new ultimate Mustang get roasted by a 3 year old Camaro.

I say bring it on anyway they want it. ZL1 against both GT500s for all I care. I don't have much faith that the GT500 is going to work wonders.
Quote:
I'm gonna have to disagree on the GT500 beating the ZL1 in the quarter mile. I do not think that is a given. I would like to see what happens and I do think the GT500 will have the advantage. But if I know one thing its that these 700+ HP cars are very difficult to launch. And if they are not equipped with the right tire then they end up being mid to high 11 sec cars like the Hellcat was for the first 2-3 years of it's life without DRs. The GT500 might be in that same boat. Or it might do a low 11. In any case I do think the ZL1 might have a chance to beat it.
Old 10-26-2019, 06:04 AM   #4052
13vertss

Drives: 2013 Camaro convertible 2SS/RS
Quote:
I think it's because they are disappointed in it. Mentioning a 10 MPH headwind is silly. Unless the wind was constant, which we don't know, then it makes no sense to even mention it. It could have been still wind for the time they ran down the track. And how do we even know there was any head wind at all for that matter? And they don't even mention which one of the two GT500s they were testing. And for all we know the ZL1 could have had a 20 MPH headwind for the one time they tested it. It certainly didn't get or need excuses and super ideal conditions.

I called low 11s on the GT500 and as of right now it is 11 flat...closer to 11.1 tho. And more than likely that is with an Evans-type driving it which means this might be the best we'll see out of it. People were expecting 10.5 and 10.7 lol!! Maybe it will do that. But I doubt it. But if this is the best it does then that looks really bad for the price.

If that is the CF version, then that would mean the standard version is slower. Which means that the C8 at 11.1 will beat the standard GT500 in the quarter mile, lol!! That would sting like Hell to all the GT500 buyers. A $65K 495 HP C8 beats the $75K 765 HP GT500 in the quarter mile. Oh man!! Again that is if the GT500 in this testing is the CF version. Now what if the standard GT500 can only manage an 11.3-11.5? LOL!! And not only that, but we know the C8 and the ZL1 both will have a higher top speed...and if it beats the GT500 around a track... !! At this point I don't even know what to say.
I can see Evans trying all day again to get best time, then everyone will believe it’s that time. No different then what he did with the gt, yet no one can seem to match it.
13vertss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 06:25 AM   #4053
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:

Wow do you feel better now? I know what to say, when is Chevy going to have an answer in the form of a Camaro, you know the forum that we are in? Also it really is amazing how you can take an 11:00s run and turn it into a "GT500 can only manage an 11.3-11.5? LOL!!" (ZL1 times by the way).
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot

Last edited by newmoon; 10-26-2019 at 06:40 AM.
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #4054
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
I can see Evans trying all day again to get best time, then everyone will believe it’s that time. No different then what he did with the gt, yet no one can seem to match it.
Oh I absolutely believe he will. And he'll lower tire pressure, lighten the car, spend days trying to find the perfect launch RPM, wait for the most optimal weather conditions at the best track, wait for a tailwind, and every other trick he can muster...and it'll still only do a 10.9 or 11 flat, lol!!
Quote:
Wow do you feel better now? I know what to say, when is Chevy going to have an answer in the form of a Camaro, you know the forum that we are in? Also it really is amazing how you can take an 11:00s run and turn it into a "GT500 can only manage an 11.3-11.5? LOL!!" (ZL1 times by the way).
Surely you meant 11.07. Because nowhere in both of those pics do I see 11.00.

Re-read what I wrote. I wrote that IF the GT500 in the IG post is the CF version, then the standard version will be slower. Probably by 2-3 tenths. The one in the post did 11.07. So if you add 2-3 tenths, that makes approx 11.3-11.4. Or do you think the standard GT500 will be the same as the CF? So what does the ZL1 run? 11.4. Which means that when they are both lined up together it is possible that they will be neck and neck...or that the ZL1 could actually beat it. So the Camaro doesn't need to answer the GT500 because if that is the CF then it is clear that Ford can barely do better even when they have much more HP and a sticker that is $30K higher. And then all that remains would be for the ZL1 to kick it's tail around a track.

Basically I am yet again disappointed in the GT500. FOr it's first outing it did worse than a Z06 that has been out since 2015 and has 115 less HP. It also did less than the C8. And it barely beats the ZL1. Not quite the ass kicking that everyone thought it would give. Even the Hellcat is faster. Not to mention the Redeye. So it won't have the quarter mile crown and it won't have the top spot around a track either. But it will be the most expensive of the bunch.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #4055
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Nah it's not so bad. Ford already has that figured out. They are piping in/out a simulted GT350 soundtrack both inside and outside of the car.

Sadly it still beeps in reverse. :( Government regulations.......

That's sad, simulated exhaust/engine sound
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #4056
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
rumor has it GT500 review embargo will be lifted 10-31
I can imagine that FOMOCO is awfully worry after seing the C8's media test drives results
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 08:04 AM   #4057
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
REVan Evan will do an “independent” test ...because “Ford” doesn’t publish performance times.
Quote:
Quote:

These runs were done at Las Vegas Motor Speedway as part of a broader press event. There were a lot of cars there. From the pictures of the event that I’ve seen, easily 20 or more cars, including base and CFTP, so there really is no telling which cars ran which times OR who was driving them. Jason Camissa, who wrote the review on C8 that sparked the understeer conversation was one of the press members there and driving. As with any press event, there’s likely a mix of excellent drivers and “meh” drivers.

Evan Smith joined the party yesterday, at least according to his posts on Mustang6. Whether he’s driving as part of the event or will be doing “his own thing” I don’t know.

Given the heat and altitude in LV, I would not be surprised if both versions turned in better times in better environments. Sub 11s are more likely than not in my opinion.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #4058
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
The car will absolutely do 10s even at that weight. Too bad it doesn't make the Ford idiots any less annoying.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:19 PM   #4059
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefBorOzzy View Post
The car will absolutely do 10s even at that weight. Too bad it doesn't make the Ford idiots any less annoying.
I agree. The base not as consistently, the weight will show up for sure, but there will be runs in the 10's for both versions.
Old 10-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #4060
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:

Would be awesome to see Chevy make a major refresh during the extended life of the platform. An LT5 ZL1 is the clear answer to what Ford did with the GT500, but knowing GM they won't do anything to answer directly. I think its all about the C8 now.