Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #1
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
check engine flashing after hard acceleration

This hasn't happened to me before I jumped on the highway and accelerated hard to redline at wot Shift gear and check engine light came on and stayed on for about a minute or so flashing then it went off. Only mod is a drop-in K&N Filter and I run 91 octane gas and synthetic oil car has just under 4,000 kilometers on it 6-speed manual
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 03:58 PM   #2
T Rex

Drives: '17 Hyper Blue RS, NPP, 6MT
Hmm that's interesting... Can it be replicated with the same method or was this just a one off so far? I haven't experienced this.
T Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:14 PM   #3
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
This has happened to me atleast twice. Once when I first got past the 1500 mile mark did a hard 0-60 run, blinked and went away. The code was P0301, I reset the code. It happened again 2 months ago on a rolling 60 to 100 pull, blinked like crazy. No code this time.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=misfire
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:29 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
flashing light usually denotes a misfire... for whatever reason, it prob misfired and then cleared its way again.

this went down on my 2013, and sometimes can denote the variable valve timing piece is stuck for a sec, or worn in older cars. think of your heart trying to pump blood, but the valve doesn't open immediately or all the way.

keep an eye on it. some 5th gens had timing chain skips and the vvt accounted for it, but under hard acceleration, it would show its head again.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #5
Dustya

Drives: Overkill Supercharged 2016 CamaroV6
Yeah that or knock sensor is catching too many hits and its cutting power.. are you noticing the car going limp at all during the CEL being on ? Either way have it checked out if you can replicate it. Try higher octane gas especially if you are running 87 I ran 87 octane 1 time and I could hear the engine knock... Never again did I run 87.

Follow me on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/hyperhawkcamaro/
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHR...-ilSpV3gMQnTuA

Supercharged with Overkill Superchargers http://www.v6superchargers.com
Dustya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #6
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
flashing light usually denotes a misfire... for whatever reason, it prob misfired and then cleared its way again.

this went down on my 2013, and sometimes can denote the variable valve timing piece is stuck for a sec, or worn in older cars. think of your heart trying to pump blood, but the valve doesn't open immediately or all the way.

keep an eye on it. some 5th gens had timing chain skips and the vvt accounted for it, but under hard acceleration, it would show its head again.
Oh I'm well aware of the problems the llt's have I truly hope we don't end up having problems with their timing chains
Old 08-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #7
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
This has happened to me atleast twice. Once when I first got past the 1500 mile mark did a hard 0-60 run, blinked and went away. The code was P0301, I reset the code. It happened again 2 months ago on a rolling 60 to 100 pull, blinked like crazy. No code this time.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showth...hlight=misfire
It's definitely a little worrisome I guess we'll have to see where it goes. Do you have a K&N Filter head and what grade of gas do you run?
Old 08-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #8
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustya View Post
Yeah that or knock sensor is catching too many hits and its cutting power.. are you noticing the car going limp at all during the CEL being on ? Either way have it checked out if you can replicate it. Try higher octane gas especially if you are running 87 I ran 87 octane 1 time and I could hear the engine knock... Never again did I run 87.
I've only ever put 91 octane in it the only time It had any less was the factory fill
Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Oh I'm well aware of the problems the llt's have I truly hope we don't end up having problems with their timing chains
Yea. My lfx had the same. Windering if its inherent of the DI engines design?

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Yea. My lfx had the same. Windering if its inherent of the DI engines design?
That's quite possible brother definitely wouldn't surprise me
Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
Bodyslide

Drives: Traded in 2016 BLUE VELVET 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
It's definitely a little worrisome I guess we'll have to see where it goes. Do you have a K&N Filter head and what grade of gas do you run?
Mine is stock except for the Borla ATAK and Tint. I always run 93 Shell or Chevron. While I was down in Florida, I used Mobil.
Bodyslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:40 PM   #12
IMadeYouReadThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Mine is stock except for the Borla ATAK and Tint. I always run 93 Shell or Chevron. While I was down in Florida, I used Mobil.

Okay good to know. I'm hoping it was just a one-off with my car but I guess we'll see like the old saying goes time will tell
Old 08-09-2017, 04:51 AM   #13
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Did the same with mine. I think mine went several hundred past red line though and the check engine light came on so I backed down and after about 30 seconds the light went off. I thought we had rev limiters and that was the only time I red lined it and it was not a pleasant experience.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
_MerF_

Drives: 2017 1LT A8 (SIM)
Just curious, since octane was brought up twice, does the LGX pull timing due to knock with <91 octane? I am convinced it was pulling tons of timing on 87, and it seems super smooth on 89. I hadn't made the leap to 91 (or 93, since we have it in Florida) since 89 seemed good on the butt-dyno.

2017 1LT (A8): 30% tint - Tinted taillights - Blackened bowties - Muffler delete
_MerF_ is offline   Reply With Quote