Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 04-02-2021, 03:32 PM   #1
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
LT4 Supercharger Porting

Surprisingly, I didn't find much detail on porting OEM superchargers so offer my experience.

Unfortunately, my LT1 with OEM LT4 blower was pushing 12 pounds of boost and the 98 German fuel was out of my comfort zone for reliability. The tuner suggested Torco...seemed to work great, but not easily available overseas.

In hopes to get away from adding a $20 can to a tank (not sure even legal in EU...) went with a larger pulley and elected to send it to Kong to swap pulleys and do a full port at the same time. Might keep the power I had, maybe gain a couple?

Kong's program opens the throttle body opening to match a 103 MM throttle body. So added that to the list - he suggested Nick Williams. Black anodized keeps it looking OEM...certainly seems high quality. I realize 103 MM is very likely overkill, but it looks good!

I quickly noticed the OEM rubber intake hose was going to be hard pressed to fit over the 103. So a standard Rotofab was ordered...ordered for a ZL1 application. That was a mistake as the air 'dam' is a tight fit to the hood of the car and the SS is not like the ZL1. Wrong part I ordered, with another 3 week delay.

With the blower arriving yesterday in a new Kong shipping box (nice!), install took place today as OEM. No surprises...really impressed at the quality and material removed.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Notice the OEM throttle body captive gasket is completely removed. You are to use a thin layer of RTV for sealing.

The unmarked 2.7 inch Griptec pulley (OEM is 2.5 inch) should slow the blower 10%...and not look terribly aftermarket - a real issue in Germany.

With awaiting the correct Rotofab part...I gave another go on stretching the OEM hose over the 103. Took a couple of bike tire irons (no kidding) to pry it over the lip. We'll see if it lasts. I'd actually prefer it as the road side inspections are a real threat here.

Mr Ted Jannetty has already provided the first program to begin the long distance tuning.

Another trip to the dyno will occur once finalized...

Kudos to Kong - quick turn around and they were willing to accommodate US Postal Service shipping both ways - a deal breaker for many companies, but all but required for US folks overseas.

Last edited by Tim M; 04-03-2021 at 04:32 AM.
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:14 PM   #2
Sickspeedkuwait

Drives: '17 ZL1 M6
Thanks for sharing!

Will be installing mine next week, you got me excited
Sickspeedkuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 07:49 AM   #3
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Surprisingly, I didn't find much detail on porting OEM superchargers so offer my experience.
This one of the most popular topics at this site so I'm surprised you haven't found a ton on it. My SC is either at Kong or on the way to my shop now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Another trip to the dyno will occur once finalized...
Personally, I place a low priority on dyno numbers. If you have a laptop with HPTuners, and I know you must have considered this, you could go out on the Autobahn in the afternoon when your tuner gets to work here, email data logs, update tunes, until you get the car's tune where you want it.

How much does a dyno session cost there?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:43 PM   #4
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
JSH: Guess my search isn't too effective...although I still haven't seen any back to back dyno graphs posted or even before and after images. Figured I would add a few data points for others.

JRE did all the tuning on the street - appears complete after 5 flashes - pretty quick his work.

I put alot of value in dyno numbers for my projects. Nice to see actual gains (hopefully) for your work and $ invested.

Same dyno, very similar temps, and same configuration minimize variables.

Scheduled for the 30th. 120 USD for ~3 runs...just a reading, no tuning is the going rate. Pretty impressive dyno cell though...