Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Tremec fluid

Just returned from dealer, replaced M6 factory with tremec fluid. Short ride, but so far feels "cleaner" both up and down. Maybe this will solve the "rubbery find 3rd gear" after its been on the track an hour...
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #2
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
what is this tremec fluid you talk about?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #3
Timbo-1LE

Tremec has its own fluid for the manuals. Someone else on the board stated they talked with Tremec, so I called and also got good feedback.

You can get four quarts for 99.00 @ Summit racing or Tremec themselves online

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/awr-tukt-16993
Old 10-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
hmm interesting somebody just made a post about tranny fluid the other day and i said i still havent changed mine and im almost at 5 years and 28k miles haha woops
Old 10-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #5
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
Never tried the Tremec fluid as it's fairly new but I have run Royal Purple, Mobil1 Syn ATF (recommended by Tremec) and Redline D4. The stock fluid was borderline useless when the temps dipped into the 30's, I read a ton and Royal Purple was mentioned the most so off to Amazon. The RP was an immediate improvement and I never really thought about it again, fast forward 13K miles and the RP must have sheared out of grade because I was starting to feel gears. For fun I went with the Mobil1 ATF and it was smooth as glass in every gear but 1-2 and 2-1 it would balk. Next up Redline D4, better than the Mobil1 but still cranky in 1-2 (either direction). After a few thousand miles I put the RP back in and it is definitely the best of the above IMHO, if I have to swap it every 12K I'm OK with that. Transmission fluid is subjected to severe shear, I base my motorcycle oil changes on gear feel. I'm interested in feedback of the Tremec fluid though, 25K on the car now.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I'm pretty sure I am the one that posted about the Tremec fluid. I was using D4, but after a tranny problem and a lengthy conversation with Tremec, I will only be using their fluid in their tranny.

https://www.tremec-store.com/collect...smission-fluid

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:51 PM   #7
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Might also be worthwhile to have a look at BG's Syncro-shift II
Few people know about BG and how they operate nationwide in the professional vehicles maintenance field for over 40 years now.
They usually have top notch quality lubricants and detergents.
Here is an interesting read about a test conducted, Vs. the more "well known" brands:
https://motoiq.com/tested-bg-syncro-shift-ii-gear-oil/
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #8
Eldi Z

Drives: 17' 1SS 1LE GBA-Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I'm pretty sure I am the one that posted about the Tremec fluid. I was using D4, but after a tranny problem and a lengthy conversation with Tremec, I will only be using their fluid in their tranny.

Can you share the main points of discussions with Tremec and main reasons for this recommendation?
I heard somewhere that Tremec re-brands the Exxon Mobil (Mobil1) ATF - But it maybe just hearsay without real basis....
Eldi Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:28 PM   #9
Timbo-1LE

Yep it was Matthew who posted it.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:41 PM   #10
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
Never tried the Tremec fluid as it's fairly new but I have run Royal Purple, Mobil1 Syn ATF (recommended by Tremec) and Redline D4. The stock fluid was borderline useless when the temps dipped into the 30's, I read a ton and Royal Purple was mentioned the most so off to Amazon. The RP was an immediate improvement and I never really thought about it again, fast forward 13K miles and the RP must have sheared out of grade because I was starting to feel gears. For fun I went with the Mobil1 ATF and it was smooth as glass in every gear but 1-2 and 2-1 it would balk. Next up Redline D4, better than the Mobil1 but still cranky in 1-2 (either direction). After a few thousand miles I put the RP back in and it is definitely the best of the above IMHO, if I have to swap it every 12K I'm OK with that. Transmission fluid is subjected to severe shear, I base my motorcycle oil changes on gear feel. I'm interested in feedback of the Tremec fluid though, 25K on the car now.
I swapped out the original fluid at about 11,500 miles as 1-2 was notchy and selecting 1st at a light was getting annoying. Went with the Royal Purple and the trans was smooth again, then as the miles added up it started to get notchy. Swapped out to Valvoline Dexron fluid at about 25,000 and it all smoothed out again. Getting up into the mid 30k and it's getting that feeling again.

Looks like a 12 mo/12,000 mile trans fluid interval on the schedule.
Old 10-17-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
I swapped out the OEM tranny fluid when I purchased the car from someone else, who drove the car for 25k miles. I would double clutch 1-2 to smooth out the notchiness however, since I've always used Amsoil in all my previous German cars...Porsche/BMW I figured I'd do the same.
It now has 37k miles and the shifting is still smooth with no complaints!
I'm using Amsoil ATF Signature Series.
Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
I'm going to swap mine to Redline D4 probably next weekend and see if I notice any cold weather differences, as well as eliminating a new issue I'm having .
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:35 PM   #13
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldi Z View Post
Can you share the main points of discussions with Tremec and main reasons for this recommendation?
I heard somewhere that Tremec re-brands the Exxon Mobil (Mobil1) ATF - But it maybe just hearsay without real basis....

He didn't say where it was sourced from. It wouldn't surprise me if it came from one of the big shops. He did mention specifically, that it was NOT ATF.

He said ATF solves a lot of problems for the manufacturers, but isn't optimal for the transmission.

Tremec's fluid is a golden color, different viscosity than ATF and doesn't smell horrible.

It also doesn't expand like ATF when it gets hot.

It may yield exactly the same result as D4 or RP or other...but I'm on my 2nd year with it and my car sees a 'spirited life'. 10-14 AutoX's and 5-7 track events per year with the occasional road trip to Boone or Asheville.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #14
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post

Sold out.