Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-19-2018, 09:24 AM   #15
BMWM.D.

Drives: ZL1/335i
I’m also thinking dipstick issue. You need to remove the tube, and maybe the seal got pinched or damaged. I can’t think of anything else oil related to that install. My number 1 priority would be finding where the oil under the car is coming from.

A few guys have gotten that knock sensor code with headers. I’m one of them. I still don’t believe that P0330 has anything to do with actual knock. From my research, it seemed to be an electrical type code. I was on stock boost and stock timing when it popped up on my car. I replaced the bank 2 knock sensor, and it never happened again. It was something stupid, like $12. I suppose it could have been caused by some of my KR settings in my tune (or the headers causing false knock). I still don’t know, but it hasn’t happened since.

I’d make sure whoever is doing the tuning has lots of experience with the Gen V LT engines. Tuning these things is a lot different than an LS engine.
BMWM.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:47 PM   #16
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
One can hope that it's something as small as the dipstick, but blue smoke coming out the exhaust says otherwise.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #17
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:15 PM   #18
Bryanh24

Drives: 2017 ZL1
So i took it to chevy, they called me and told me the front crank seal is leaking hence the oil. All I have done is pulley and headers and I've seen a bunch of zl1's running perfect with that, is it the tune that is all messed up? They told me if I put it back to stock I'll get my warranty back.
Bryanh24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #19
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
You are lucky they told you to put it back to stock and they didn't void your warranty. I would do what they say asap, but I still think the fact that you have it tuned will void the warranty.
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 01:32 PM   #20
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJA105 View Post
You are lucky they told you to put it back to stock and they didn't void your warranty. I would do what they say asap, but I still think the fact that you have it tuned will void the warranty.
They said stock parts, stock tune I will have my full warranty back.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:54 PM   #21
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanh24 View Post
That's awesome. Good luck!
DaveC113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #22
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
So i took it to chevy, they called me and told me the front crank seal is leaking hence the oil. All I have done is pulley and headers and I've seen a bunch of zl1's running perfect with that, is it the tune that is all messed up? They told me if I put it back to stock I'll get my warranty back.
That's definitely not how it works, but if they let that happen then all the better for you. Did you have a lower pulley done or other work there at some point? If not, it's a manufacturer defect, and your chances of getting it covered with or without the mods you have are pretty good. The crank seal really can't be effected by anything except physically touching it. You're certain that the shop didn't put a lower pulley on or use this for a little R&D without asking you?

Good luck getting it fixed. If they honor the warranty, which they are not obligated to as any ECU modification is automatic bye-bye, then that's great. Benevolent dealers may be able to get this done under warranty.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:16 PM   #23
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I hope that's all that it is. I don't see how a leaking front crank seal would cause the car to blow smoke out the exhaust and throw a code. Guess it's fix one problem at a time and take it from there. Good luck!
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:33 PM   #24
Aliveguy5

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
I would have borrowed their tools and put it back to stock right there!!
Aliveguy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #25
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
That's definitely not how it works, but if they let that happen then all the better for you. Did you have a lower pulley done or other work there at some point? If not, it's a manufacturer defect, and your chances of getting it covered with or without the mods you have are pretty good. The crank seal really can't be effected by anything except physically touching it. You're certain that the shop didn't put a lower pulley on or use this for a little R&D without asking you?

Good luck getting it fixed. If they honor the warranty, which they are not obligated to as any ECU modification is automatic bye-bye, then that's great. Benevolent dealers may be able to get this done under warranty.
No, lower pulley was never touched during the install. Another thing, when the shop got the car they said that it was low on oil and this is when it was bone stock. Not sure if the crank seal was bad before I modified it or if it was the modifications that caused this issue. I am certain that the shop did not touch the lower pulley when it was there.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:01 PM   #26
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
No, lower pulley was never touched during the install. Another thing, when the shop got the car they said that it was low on oil and this is when it was bone stock. Not sure if the crank seal was bad before I modified it or if it was the modifications that caused this issue. I am certain that the shop did not touch the lower pulley when it was there.
Did you buy it used?

If the shop pointed out it was low on oil than the chances are high that the seal was bad and leaking all along.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #27
Bryanh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Did you buy it used?

If the shop pointed out it was low on oil than the chances are high that the seal was bad and leaking all along.
Bought it used with 300 miles on it.. but never noticed any smoke or leaking before the install of the pulley and headers when it was stock
Old 12-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #28
chriscamaro69z28
army life

Drives: 2018 hyper blue zl1
I had lower pulley put on mine and with boost and while tuning it blew out the front seal. After the shop did some research many have said the front crank seal on lt4 is very thin. Most people to include myself put in the ls3 crank seal to replace the thinner lt4 seal. This might help you understand the front crank seal leak.