Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
le monstre

Drives: white with black rims 2ss camaro
Car and driver tested the 10 speed SS, not faster than a GT

so per car and driver new article about the mustang, the new 10 speed camaro still performed slower than the Gt. Im kinda surprised as the new ss is supposed to have a worst gas mileage than the 8 speed. so why should anyone wants to buy the 10 speed over the 8? it's only .1 second faster to the 1/4 mile. if it has already posted then please delete

''At the test track, the automatic's advantage was clear as it better harnessed the 460 horses and 420 lb-ft of Ford's latest and melodious 5.0-liter V-8: The 10-speed GT rocketed to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds versus the manual's 4.3, and it shaved half a second off the quarter-mile run, posting a 12.1 at 120 mph compared to a 12.6 at 115 mph. While the 455-hp Camaro SS with the six-speed manual bettered the similar GT with 4.0- and 12.2-second figures, the automatic Ford outpaced the 2019 Chevy with a very similar 10-speed by a tenth both to 60 mph and through the quarter, and also had a 2-mph-faster trap speed.''

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...on-performance
le monstre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #2
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by le monstre View Post
so per car and driver new article about the mustang, the new 10 speed camaro still performed slower than the Gt. Im kinda surprised as the new ss is supposed to have a worst gas mileage than the 8 speed. so why should anyone wants to buy the 10 speed over the 8? it's only .1 second faster to the 1/4 mile. if it has already posted then please delete

''At the test track, the automatic's advantage was clear as it better harnessed the 460 horses and 420 lb-ft of Ford's latest and melodious 5.0-liter V-8: The 10-speed GT rocketed to 60 mph in 3.8 seconds versus the manual's 4.3, and it shaved half a second off the quarter-mile run, posting a 12.1 at 120 mph compared to a 12.6 at 115 mph. While the 455-hp Camaro SS with the six-speed manual bettered the similar GT with 4.0- and 12.2-second figures, the automatic Ford outpaced the 2019 Chevy with a very similar 10-speed by a tenth both to 60 mph and through the quarter, and also had a 2-mph-faster trap speed.''

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...on-performance
Good find. I had read that article, but hadn't caught the reference to the 2019 Camaro SS they had tested.

12.1 @ 120mph is a really good time and trap speed for the Mustang (as is the 12.2 pass for the Camaro).

One thing I'd point out is that a 0.1s difference between the two isn't much, especially if it's not in the same weather conditions and track prep. I'd love to see a comparison test between them.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:10 PM   #3
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
The differences are negligible and well within the margin of error. I'd like to see 5 runs on the same tires and then average them.
I'm positive that the TR6060 in the SS is the superior manual transmission.
Also the article goes on to say that they don't actually like driving the Mustang with the 10 speed auto, even if it gets a few extra tenths of a second in the quarter mile.
Why do people want the GM 10 speed over the A8? Shifting is much faster, crisper and its overall a much better transmission.
People don't just make buying decisions based on tenths of a second differences on single run "tests" by car magazines. They choose based on how it drives, how it feels, its reliability record, etc. The 10 speed is an attractive option and if I was getting an auto I'd want the A10.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:19 PM   #4
le monstre

Drives: white with black rims 2ss camaro
but the 10 speed posted a worst gas mileage which was supposed to be a big reason why would one wants it over the 8. I guess im just disappointed as i was expecting more from it
le monstre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:46 AM   #5
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
This is disappointing to see , so why go to the 10 speed then ?
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
All this article shows is the GT gained in straight line performance. You can't get a decent comparison on different days with different drivers like they are doing. Just look at the manual trans times that show the SS is .4 faster in the 1/4 and .3 faster 0-60. Or the 4 cyl camaro being faster than

Time will tell and it may just be a drivers race now but you would have to see some time slips including important 60' times before you can say one is faster than the other, but the large gap that's existed for quite some time has closed some 120 trap speed is pretty darn good.

Quote:
but the 10 speed posted a worst gas mileage which was supposed to be a big reason why would one wants it over the 8. I guess im just disappointed as i was expecting more from it
Are you talking about the Camaro or this article on the Mustang? I've heard very little talk about gas mileage being the reason for a 10 speed. It's just a better trans all the way around performance wise and the tuning on this is completely different between Ford and GM. Try it you might be surprised.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #7
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
The GT on paper was faster than the A8 as well, but actual track times isn't reflecting that for the majority of drivers. They were pretty much dead even. Also like I mentioned in another thread, 120 mph trap times are almost non-existent bone stock.

One example is not enough and we have to wait for actual owners to report their drag times at the track.
A .1 difference is too close.

Also, someone asked why get the A10? Seriously? To avoid the A8 TQ headaches.

While we all wish to see some straight line improvement, we also have to be realistic. The 2019s did not get an HP bump.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #8
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
All the threads were saying the 10 speed would be such an improvement on the Camaro and like I said, it really won't be little to any change. It's a huge change on the mustang going from a 6 speed but not as much in the Camaro.

And as far as reliability, the 8 speed is a strong transmission. It's the programming and the slip that the is the main issue. There is no way in knowing how GM tuned the 10 speed. Those issues could still be there or could be another problem.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:14 AM   #9
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Did you really mention gas mileage?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
All the threads were saying the 10 speed would be such an improvement on the Camaro and like I said, it really won't be little to any change. It's a huge change on the mustang going from a 6 speed but not as much in the Camaro.

This is pretty much what I said as well. The A8 was a much better transmission than the A6 in the Mustang, and wasn't nearly going to be as big of a leap.

I will be curious to see how it performs in the hands of owners
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
The A6 in Mustang/F150 is pretty lousy.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote