Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-20-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
CarPro Reload Standalone - 2 Massive Fails - What Gives?

Ok long story short...

I took my truck, fully strip washed it, iron decon, clay, re-wash and dry. I then applied CarPro Reload just like this video shows:

The gloss was amazing and the paint was crazy slick immediately afterwards. I parked it and drove it a few days later. It started raining and I noticed there was very little paint beading. I then washed it that weekend and noticed even when just rinsing down there was ZERO beading, the water stuck to the paint and the surface wasn't slick at all, it was completely naked there was no protection on that paint. Ok I thought, I'll start over. I re-strip washed and dried, then I wiped the whole vehicle down with an IPA product very similar to Eraser. Then I applied CarPro Reload again, same way as above. Again, great gloss and the paint was very slick, it beaded like crazy when I squirted it with water (Tested immediately after application that is). So I parked the truck and drove it a few days later, again, in the rain. No beading on the paint, rain didn't fly off the truck when I was driving like the previous LSP I used did, and there wasn't any slickness to the touch. I pressure washed it this weekend and again, water clung to the paint like it had never been waxed/sealed, again paint is naked and grabby to the touch. I'm quite exasperated.

Is it 100% necessary to apply CarPro Reload ONLY if you just polished it with Essence or something? That's the only thing I could think of to try next. It's going into the bodyshop for some chip fixes and after it comes out, I really doubt I'll try Reload again, I'm pretty much done trying to make it work. Previously I used Adam's LPS topped regularly with H2O G&G and the paint looked and felt amazing and beaded like crazy, water flew off when I drove it.

Massive fail for CarPro Reload. Definitely not going to use it on my Camaro after running these trials. Anybody have any thoughts?

Yes the Reload I have is brand new, bought from CarPro-US, was well shaken, I used good rags, paint was naked before application, etc. etc. I did everything right.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Works like a charm on my uncoated 6 year old Genesis. I washed with adams, then applied while doing final drying (after leaf blower dry). No special prep.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:20 PM   #3
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
hmm, that is disappointing for sure. It does say it can be used as a standalone product, but I was always under the impression it was a 'ceramic coating booster".
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
I would post this on the car pro forum site, and see if Cory will answer you.

Just used it after a Dawn wash with a friend's new Honda civic, it came out great.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Works like a charm on my uncoated 6 year old Genesis. I washed with adams, then applied while doing final drying (after leaf blower dry). No special prep.
I understand, and this is the kind of feedback I heard about the product, so I decided to order it and demo it on my truck before using it on my garage queens and I'm glad I did because like I said, it has failed pretty bad for me. I might give it one more run if somebody has a holy grail fix that I'm missing. And as you said, you do no special prep and you have good results yet I went the extra mile and followed what detailers recommend to the T and got poor results.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
I would post this on the car pro forum site, and see if Cory will answer you.

Just used it after a Dawn wash with a friend's new Honda civic, it came out great.
I emailed him already and asked on Autogeek.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I understand, and this is the kind of feedback I heard about the product, so I decided to order it and demo it on my truck before using it on my garage queens and I'm glad I did because like I said, it has failed pretty bad for me. I might give it one more run if somebody has a holy grail fix that I'm missing. And as you said, you do no special prep and you have good results yet I went the extra mile and followed what detailers recommend to the T and got poor results.
Just curious, what soap are you using to wash with? pH neutral?
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Just curious, what soap are you using to wash with? pH neutral?
Well I didn't even have to wash to see it not bead. But when I did wash it I tried Adam's Car Shampoo, CarPro Reset, Ech2o, and Adam's Strip Wash. For normal washes I'm using Adam's Car Shampoo until I use up the gallon I have. Again, washing the paint had nothing to do with the failure though.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:18 PM   #9
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
I just did mine today I used essence, eraser, reload by hand .
Carpro said use eraser in between essence and reload if doing it by hand. No need for eraser if you’re using a polisher unless you use it before essence.
I’ll let you know what happens on Wednesday it’s supposed to rain Tuesday and Wednesday morning.
NYJets12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:57 PM   #10
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
It is possible that you had something on the surface that the clay did not remove. Therefore you did not get good adhesion with the last step product.

I always polish the car after using clay. Clay is an abrasive.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:25 PM   #11
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I did mine yesterday. First time ever using the product. Wife took it to work and it rained. On the way home she calls me and says, whatever you put on the car yesterday worked. All the raindrops are just flying off the car.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkH View Post
It is possible that you had something on the surface that the clay did not remove. Therefore you did not get good adhesion with the last step product.

I always polish the car after using clay. Clay is an abrasive.
I don't have Essence but I do have a few other finishing polishes, since it was just polished, I will test a panel on the truck and polish it with finishing and then Reload it. I'll do the rest of the truck the old way though.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #13
KirkH

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 Mosaic Blk Met-SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I don't have Essence but I do have a few other finishing polishes, since it was just polished, I will test a panel on the truck and polish it with finishing and then Reload it. I'll do the rest of the truck the old way though.
Good plan please post results.
KirkH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #14
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Sounds like it is not bonding correctly, paint doesn't seem to be fully clean of any oils. waxes, sealants, etc. What did you initially wash it with, what type of soap?

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote