Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-13-2017, 04:50 PM   #1
dbuck11

Drives: 2013 Summit White 2LS
Talking New tires on my 2013 LS, what to do about the speed governor?

As a to myself birthday gift (yesterday) I just got some brand new tires and rims. I'm so happy to get rid of the awful steelies that have been sitting on my car (no offense to anyone with them, I had them on my car for 2 years, we both know that they're ugly). My new tires are Falken Azenis all seasons with a W speed rating (W= rated for 168mph). I have no intent to go anywhere over 100 on a populated road but I am looking forward to going to the track for the first time when summer comes around. Currently there is a speed governor at 118mph which exists because of the stock tire rating. I asked the place that put on my new tires if they could remove the limiter but they apologized and told me that they are only a tire place and don't have the ability to do anything to my cars computer.

I have read lots of thread on this forum where the OP gets bashed for being immature, but I genuinely have no interest in speeding that fast on public roads. I'm not trying to die and I absolutely wouldn't be able to live with myself if I hurt someone else.

Currently I understand that I can get a 300-400 dollar tune to remove the limiter. Can I afford a $400 tune? Yes. Do I want to pay $400 just to remove a speed limiter? Not if I don't have to.

Is there any way I can do it myself? I have computer programming experience in Java and Python, although I doubt that really gets me anywhere.

If I do have to resort to paying a few hundred dollars to tune my car, what else does that do to me, I certainly hope $300-$400 gets me a little more than changing a few lines of code to take off a speed limiter.

For anyone interested the new rims are Touren TR60's and the tires are Falken Azenis FK450 A/S 245/55R18W

Anyways just looking for some input and thanks in advance!

Also it's dark out now but I'll try to get a pic of my car tomorrow with her new shoes on
dbuck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:07 PM   #2
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Is your goal to remove the speed limiter to race your car on the track? It would take a tune to remove the limiter, but with no other mods, that would be a very expensive "tune" for one small item. Now if you are looking for other performance modifications, then it becomes more of a "return on investment" once you have added those other modifications.

How often you wanting to hit 120 mph now?
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
dbuck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrpiii View Post
Is your goal to remove the speed limiter to race your car on the track? It would take a tune to remove the limiter, but with no other mods, that would be a very expensive "tune" for one small item. Now if you are looking for other performance modifications, then it becomes more of a "return on investment" once you have added those other modifications.

How often you wanting to hit 120 mph now?
So currently the car is entirely unmodded (unless you consider the tires a mod, which I don't). And I don't really plan on doing any mods for the foreseeable future because I'm actually only 18 as of yesterday and while I make good money for someone my age I don't really want to be throwing all of it into mods. Because I am a teen I really don't have a full understanding of what tuning actually is (I've always just imagined it as magically making the car faster by editing the cars computer), so the question that your comment leaves me with is does tuning a car only have benefits on a modded car or can it help a stock car too?

If tuning really does do nothing for a stock car then I guess I will put my dream of removing the speed limiter on the backburner for a while because that in itself is not worth $300 if it doesn't do anything else for the car.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:32 PM   #4
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
You won't be hitting the limiter on a drag strip anyway. You can get a little more power out of a tune, but very marginally on a stock car. I say keep the money in your bank account and drive it the way it is.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #5
tomlink

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via Skype™ to tomlink
You should probably check out the sub forum dedicated to the LFX: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=148

Before I'd go with a tune there are quite a few more things that get a better payback for an LFX engine.
tomlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:37 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Since it's stock, I'd take it to the strip and see what kind of top end mph you hit. You might not hit the magic 118mph. if so, there's no need to remove the limiter with a tune.

At least until you get the bug and start modding the car.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #7
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
A tune does make the car faster, but you're still stuck with the "hardcoded" WOT restriction until 4k rpms. Getting rid of that would be a lot better for performance than upping the top speed limiter. However, I can understand wanting to remove the speed limiter since the RS's with the 20's have it set up to 155 mph.

I say invest in a tune that allows you tuning support as you mod the car. I think Overkill offers this as part of their standard tuning package. That way, you can retune it as many times as you want as the mods accumulate.

Yeah, it's a big initial investment, but anything worthwhile is going to cost some $$$ for these cars.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 PM   #8
asand1

Drives: 2015 V6 6MT
It's my understanding that the dealership will deactivate the limiter IF you have the proper tires. YMMV.
asand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:05 PM   #9
Reaper85

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
You won't hit that at a drag strip stock, I highly doubt on a road course aswell. If your not going to mod the car save your pennies.
Reaper85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #10
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
So a young kid in a Camaro who wants his speed limiter removed. Am I the only one who sees disaster in this cars future?
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #11
LT1Zob

Drives: 23 LT1 / 19 Z06 / after 6 5th gens
Bone stock, my 12 RS was running 14.1/14.2, between 99-100.5 MPH. 0 worries about 118 if you're stock.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #12
dbuck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingBananaSS View Post
So a young kid in a Camaro who wants his speed limiter removed. Am I the only one who sees disaster in this cars future?
I'm sure any boy my age would probablysay tbe same thingas I'm about to say, but I'm going to say it anyways. I really am a careful and controlled driver. This car means the world to me and I don't abuse it. It took a lot of proving myself a responsible driver before I was ablw to get this car. Everyone who rides in my car always tells me just how suprised of how tame of a driver I am by the time they get out.
I really am just looking for the ability to get the most out of my car when I eventually take it to a track.
In my 2 years of driving this car I have only ever hit the 118 speed limiter once, and that was just out of curiosity of what happens when I hit the limiter.

Anyways I know I am just a stranger on the Internet to you so make what you want of my situation, but I atleast know for myself that I am responsible enough to handle this car without putting my own, and other lives at risk (and most importantly putting the car at risk).
Old 12-13-2017, 10:43 PM   #13
dbuck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzobian View Post
Bone stock, my 12 RS was running 14.1/14.2, between 99-100.5 MPH. 0 worries about 118 if you're stock.
Good to know, but I guess theres still an itch at the back of my mind knowing that my car has a limiter on it that is no longer necessary. It existed because of the tire rating, and now the tire rating is no longer an issue so why should the car be restricted?
Old 12-13-2017, 10:53 PM   #14
dbuck11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper85 View Post
You won't hit that at a drag strip stock, I highly doubt on a road course aswell. If your not going to mod the car save your pennies.
Yeah this thread has helped me understand that with a stock car theres no good reason to spend that kind of money. I guess its something that I'll have to save for the future when I start putting more money into the car.

As someone with zeeo modding experience, does anyone have any advice on what kind of performance upgrades I should be looking at to save up for in the future. I know one of the first things that I am looking into is a cold air intake unless anyone here has a better mod to begin with. I'm also looking into a new exhaust for the badass factor.

Tags
2013 ls, rims, speed limiter, tires, tune