#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #29
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
I can't stand it when these magazines criticize the ride quality of a car that handles like this. For one, I drive my 17 ZL1 in Track mode exclusively and that is on some horrible NJ roads and I don't find it one bit uncomfortable. Is it a Town Car? Of course not. Have I made one complaint? Never. But if it was more comfortable and sacrificed handling then they'd be like "oh this car is far too comfy and as such sacrifices too much on the suspension". It's like they purposely try to be douchebags some times. Why not criticize the MPGs or how low to the ground it is while they're at it? Sheesh they're a car mag testing an ultra performance car of this magnitude and they're acting like sissies talking about the ride quality. I've had chicks in my ZL1 that thought it was comfortable in Track mode...grow a pair MT.
That is kind of their job though to review it lol. If they just posted all the awesome things about every car it would get kind of boring reading about only the good things.

Quote:
Sorry for the rant, just steams me up when I read something like that. Anyway, GM is really killing it out there and I don't think they're gonna let up. I think GM in performance right now is like a rabid dog that is attacking everything in sight, lol!! I can't wait to see what they do with the Z28. I'm not sure how they'll get 700 hp NA but I'm sure they have some tricks up their sleeve. I would prefer it to be forced induction tho.
I just don't see it 700+ N/A. They wanted to 600ish N/A we can assume for the Z06. They could not do it, while passing emissions. Which is why we have the LT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unavailablezl1 View Post
Nope, the Z/28 is all about N/A. So if GM really gets 700hp out of the 5.5L with a flat plane crank like it says in the article I posted, DAMN!!!
So you think with an extra .3L GM would be able to get 180 more HP out of a FPC engine than Ford?
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #30
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I'll believe it when I see it. The whole reason the LT4 is powering the Z06 is because they couldn't achieve the power they wanted N/A and pass emissions. I don't see them having an even more powerful engine now N/A
I agree.

I can see an LTx 7.0 hitting ~550 hp at the most. 700 hp n/a isn't happening.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:41 PM   #31
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
3 pages in and no mention of the unofficial run in 7:13?

Quote:
I mention the above because Camaro bossman Al Oppenheiser shared an after-dinner story with us about his new Camaro ZL1 1LE, the laser-focused track-day special version of the brutal ZL1. A Camaro engineer who I’m gonna name (Bill Wise) knocked off a 7:16.03 lap of the legendary Nordschleife circuit at the Nürburgring. For some perspective, a Ferrari Enzo did a 7:25.21, a Ferrari 488 GTB did a 7:21.63, and a Porsche 911 GT2 RS did a 7:18.00. Bill was driving a Camaro. Crazy, no? Want to hear crazier? That 7:16.03 is quicker than any other General Motors (cough, Corvette, cough) product has gone around the ’Ring. His time is also more than 13 seconds quicker than what the standard ZL1 has done, 7:29.60. Al’s story, however, was one of tragedy. A little window of time had suddenly opened up one afternoon in Germany, and Bill jumped into the red ZL1 1LE and managed to run a lap in the 7:13 neighborhood. A Lexus LFA Nürburgring package ran a 7:14.64. But because everything happened so fast, Team Camaro didn’t document it. No GoPro, no one thought to hit record on the PDR, no onboard data capture equipment—nothing. These things happen, though mostly it seems to Camaros.
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #32
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I agree.

I can see an LTx 7.0 hitting ~550 hp at the most. 700 hp n/a isn't happening.
Well, read the article I posted. I actually read it when it first came out, but really only believed today when my dealer guy told me straight up that the Z/28 is for sure coming.

Hey if Ford can do it, GM can do it better, I guess. Hey, it will be 5.5L, overhead cam, flat plane, etc...well, you read the article.

Also, he told me GM was in to his dealership last week having him put things on the 2017 ZL1 that GM owns. He would not tell me what he did, but he said when he drove it with the changes.....OMG!!

GM has a huge factory here and GM uses his dealership a lot which is one of the largest in the nation. Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, Texas... look them up.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Nope, the Z/28 is all about N/A. So if GM really gets 700hp out of the 5.5L with a flat plane crank like it says in the article I posted, DAMN!!!
How much of that is rumored and how much is actually gonna happen tho? Z28 is all about NA and that is cool and all. But I just don't see them being able to get 700 hp out of a NA FPC DOHC engine. Even if they do the torque would be horrible. I think they would need a lot more cubes to get those numbers. I mean, Dodge had 8.4 liters and a V10 out of a pushrod design and it took all that to get 640 hp. Ford with a 5.2 FPC and 13.0:1 compression on a OHC design has 526 hp and torque that isn't even worth mentioning. I don't think you could do those kinds of number with 5.5 liters on an OHC engine while retaining driveability and emissions and keeping the cost reasonable. I expect it to carry a hefty tag but they still have to keep it somewhat reasonable.

Quote:
That is kind of their job though to review it lol. If they just posted all the awesome things about every car it would get kind of boring reading about only the good things.
I get that. But you can't fault a car of this magnitude for having a rough ride. At least not without having another vehicle to compare it to. If the ZL1 1LE had a rough ride as compared to the Vette or Shelby and if both of those cars handled just as well or better then I could see taking points off. But everything on that level of performance has a rough ride. And nothing with a better ride performs like this car. If it does then it's gonna cost much much more. So in a way they are just nitpicking.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:58 PM   #34
unavailablezl1

Quote:
How much of that is rumored and how much is actually gonna happen tho? Z28 is all about NA and that is cool and all. But I just don't see them being able to get 700 hp out of a NA FPC DOHC engine. Even if they do the torque would be horrible. I think they would need a lot more cubes to get those numbers. I mean, Dodge had 8.4 liters and a V10 out of a pushrod design and it took all that to get 640 hp. Ford with a 5.2 FPC and 13.0:1 compression on a OHC design has 526 hp and torque that isn't even worth mentioning. I don't think you could do those kinds of number with 5.5 liters on an OHC engine while retaining driveability and emissions and keeping the cost reasonable. I expect it to carry a hefty tag but they still have to keep it somewhat reasonable.

I get that. But you can't fault a car of this magnitude for having a rough ride. At least not without having another vehicle to compare it to. If the ZL1 1LE had a rough ride as compared to the Vette or Shelby and if both of those cars handled just as well or better then I could see taking points off. But everything on that level of performance has a rough ride. And nothing with a better ride performs like this car. If it does then it's gonna cost much much more. So in a way they are just nitpicking.
True, 5 years ago, no one every dreamed of a FPC or 526 HP in a 5.2L engine either. But it happened. But I await the news of the introduction of the car and believe then. If and when it happens, Ford will shit their pants. The Z/28 will be light, N/A, not front heavy on the new chassis as the ZL1.

Past Rides
Old 06-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #35
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:

Agreed. Ford did everything possible to get as much N/A power as possible. As did Dodge. Also like you mentioned, the flaw of the VooDoo is its low torque. I know GM wakes up and pisses excellence around here, but lets be realistic lol. I am sure they could improve on the Voodoo design, but as good as GM is I don't see them getting an extra 180HP out of it. Also People here like to joke the voodoo is going to vibrate itself to pieces, what do you think an even bigger one would do.

I got you, just stating its their job and on the first drives they have to point out what stands out to them. I don't think they worded it that bad,
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:02 PM   #36
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
True, 5 years ago, no one every dreamed of a FPC or 526 HP in a 5.2L engine either. But it happened. But I await the news of the introduction of the car and believe then. If and when it happens, Ford will shit their pants. The Z/28 will be light, N/A, not front heavy on the new chassis as the ZL1.
True. I anticipate it's release. I won't be in the market for one but I'll be excited to see it come out!!

Quote:
I got you, just stating its their job and on the first drives they have to point out what stands out to them. I don't think they worded it that bad,
yea I was just a little heated. It pisses me off because it gives a false representation of the car. And it gives others ammunition to trash it or discredit it any way they can. I just wish they actually faulted it for stuff that is more logical than ride quality.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #37
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Well, read the article I posted. I actually read it when it first came out, but really only believed today when my dealer guy told me straight up that the Z/28 is for sure coming.

Hey if Ford can do it, GM can do it better, I guess. Hey, it will be 5.5L, overhead cam, flat plane, etc...well, you read the article.
I've seen that before. Ford had a hell of a time keeping the 5.2 Voodoo together. It kept vibrating itself to pieces. I don't see GM building an even bigger FPC V8, spinning it harder to make more power and not having a ticking time bomb on their hand.

I've seen the pictures of the ZL1 1LE fascia with what looks like a location for a Z/28 badge. Who knows what the future is for the 6th gen. The 7th gen is still a few years off. I hope GM has something to fill in that time.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:07 PM   #38
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Live in the NOW

Too many people speculating about an engine and a car that may/may not exist. This thread should be saluting the awesomeness of what IS NOW, the ZL1 1LE. There is another section of the forum for Z/28 rumor.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #39
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
That was a great read...
Agreed...it was well written & love the praise they gave to plain ZL1. I really think I made the right choice with the limited track time I'll be able get.

However, I do not believe that it is impossible to smoke the tires...
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #40
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Quote:
ZL1 1LE - 1:34:30 at MRLS - holy $#!t that is fast!

And this may well be the development motor from Mercury Racing: 750 HP @ 7,500 RPM on 91 octane pump gas - 8,000 RPM redline - this would do it for Z/28!

Link: http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/
Attached Images

Last edited by Supercup; 06-27-2017 at 07:53 PM. Reason: `
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM   #41
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkorgan View Post
Too many people speculating about an engine and a car that may/may not exist. This thread should be saluting the awesomeness of what IS NOW, the ZL1 1LE. There is another section of the forum for Z/28 rumor.
Didn't mean to hijack a thread. I was responding to the Z/28 comment and I just happen to be at the dealer when they told me the Z/28 was coming for sure with 700hp.

So, never mind...

Past Rides
Old 06-27-2017, 07:52 PM   #42
unavailablezl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercup View Post
And so this may well be the development motor from Mercury Racing:

Link: http://www.mercuryracing.com/automotive/

750 HP @ 7,500 RPM on 91 octane pump gas - 8,000 RPM redline - this would do it for Z/28!
I saw that last week when there was made mention. GM had Mercury cast some blocks for them a few years back. It is very feasible.

Interesting reading about Mercury and GM. Who knows what will happen next...

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...history/week12

Past Rides