Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-22-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
gilgamesh

Drives: 2015 Charger SRT Hellcat(732rwhp)
Mods and CELs

So I have been running around for a bit now with my CAI and Ported Tbdy setups and have found myself with a few CELs over the last several weeks.

One was a Catalytic system rich condition detected after a hard acceleration...it caused no issues with the car and went away after a couple restarts of the car.

The other, and most troubling, is a P2101 light of Throttle Actuator Control module circuit fault. This caused the car to go into limp mode, almost stall out and I had to limp her to the next gas station and shut her down before breaking out the code reader and popping the hood. I was able to clear the code and all was well, but it was weird and troubling to say the least. This led me to believe that MAYBE a CAI AND Tbody with no tune is too much under certain circumstances. Perhaps it is letting in too much air and triggering codes when you combined them both. All the issues have been after WOT pulls through several gears.

Anyone else experienced the same thing?
gilgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 03:56 AM   #2
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
So I have been running around for a bit now with my CAI and Ported Tbdy setups and have found myself with a few CELs over the last several weeks.

One was a Catalytic system rich condition detected after a hard acceleration...it caused no issues with the car and went away after a couple restarts of the car.

The other, and most troubling, is a P2101 light of Throttle Actuator Control module circuit fault. This caused the car to go into limp mode, almost stall out and I had to limp her to the next gas station and shut her down before breaking out the code reader and popping the hood. I was able to clear the code and all was well, but it was weird and troubling to say the least. This led me to believe that MAYBE a CAI AND Tbody with no tune is too much under certain circumstances. Perhaps it is letting in too much air and triggering codes when you combined them both. All the issues have been after WOT pulls through several gears.

Anyone else experienced the same thing?
I have not seen a situation exactly like yours, but we definitely recommend tuning with any other supporting modifications. Our CAI is a great "no tune" option on an otherwise stock Camaro SS or ZL1, but if it is used in conjunction with other mods, a tune is necessary.

Did you happen to run our system for a period of time as a stand-alone mod? If so what were your thoughts on the difference the CAI made?

Michael
Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 04:16 AM   #3
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
You have the exact same mods that I have. How long have you been running them? I got the cai first and had no issues. I bought the Katech ported TB a few weeks ago and no problem with that either. I put a VTC on and was a little worried I would get some issues but that was last night so I'll see if anything happens in the next few weeks. I don't think a ported TB and no-tune CAI is enough to do that. Unless perhaps there is something wrong with the electronics in the TB. In which case a tune will do nothing to solve the problem and will void your warranty to boot. If the problem persists then I would say ditch the TB or contact Katech to get another one to see if the problem goes away. If it does then you'll know it was the TB.

I have read that porting these TBs incorrectly sometimes causes them to malfunction. Not saying anything bad about Katech because I love my ported TB. But there is bound to be one that fails. I am sure that if you could narrow it down to the TB (which is what it sounds like to me) then they'd swap it out for a different one for you.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #4
Bakilman

Drives: 2017 ZL1
There's a post in the TB thread about a bad batch of TBs with faulty sensors from Katech. Sounds like they got it handled and replaced without any issues. That MIGHT be what's causing your CEL.
Bakilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #5
Bakilman

Drives: 2017 ZL1
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498009
Bakilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #6
gilgamesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto-fab 1 View Post
I have not seen a situation exactly like yours, but we definitely recommend tuning with any other supporting modifications. Our CAI is a great "no tune" option on an otherwise stock Camaro SS or ZL1, but if it is used in conjunction with other mods, a tune is necessary.

Did you happen to run our system for a period of time as a stand-alone mod? If so what were your thoughts on the difference the CAI made?

Michael
I ran your system for over a month without any issues, besides the run around of purchasing one in CA that is. System worked perfectly and I noticed a marked improvement in Throttle response, sound and drive ability. The ass dyno says the car pulled better at higher speeds, but who knows, and I most certainly noticed more traction issues in second gear.

Yeah, Bakilman, I was one of the guys with the issues where my Tbody was over ported and caused issues. Katech replaced it and overnight-ed me a new one immediately and the new one has ran perfect. I am not sure what the issue was last night, the car pulled hard on the interstate then when I took the off ramp, the CEL came on and the car went into limp mode. I got the hood open, checked all the wires and then reset the code with my scanner and all was fine. Very weird.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:41 AM   #7
gilgamesh

Hmmmmm, just happened again. Driving down the interstate, downshifted to 3rd and the car went into lmp mode with the same error code. Pulled over, restarted the engine, all went back to normal. Really wanna know what gives...
Old 06-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #8
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
I've had the RF for about 5 weeks, the Katech for about 4 weeks, and I put the VTC on 2 nights ago. So I'm starting to wonder if I'll have any issues, lol!! Last time I had a VTC it ran good for a few weeks and then went all haywire on me. So I'm gonna pay close attention and keep you guys updated at the first sign of trouble.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:35 AM   #9
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Hmmmmm, just happened again. Driving down the interstate, downshifted to 3rd and the car went into lmp mode with the same error code. Pulled over, restarted the engine, all went back to normal. Really wanna know what gives...
I'm going to guess it's your ported TB. If you still have the stock TB, I would put it back on and see if the error stays off.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
gilgamesh

Yeah, I am sure it is linked to the Ported Tbody....just not sure if it because of all the airflow from the combo CAI/Tbody, orif there is an electrical issue with that Tbody system alone.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #11
ModdedSS

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
I had this issue on my SS and wanted to pitch in. I have the PRAY ported throttle body and he uses new GM units unless he has a fresh ported core. If the company you are using is using new factory throttle bodies to port then that may be the problem, because when my car did it I reached out to PRAY and he said someone else had a similar problem. He stated that the motor might be bad in the new throttle body and advised me to swap over the motor from my old throttle body into the ported one, and send the bad motor back with my old throttle body. Haven't had any issues since. So if you purchased one and have your old throttle body laying around, swap the motor from that one to the new one because for whatever reason GM is sending out new throttle bodies with faulty motors. If you PM me I'll try and find the walk through that Pray gave me to swap out the throttle body motors

Go: 17" Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst with Hoosier Drag Radials/Rotofab Intake w/ Dry Filter/EFI Flex Fuel Kit/Kooks 2" Longtubes with Offroad Connections/PRAY Performance Ported Intake Manifold/PRAY Performance Ported Throttle Body/PRAY Performance Ported Heads/PRAY Performance Tune

Suspension: Phastek Lowering Springs/BMR Toe Rods/BMR Control Arms/BMR Trailing Arms/BMR Strut Tower Brace
ModdedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #12
gilgamesh

Dude, that would be amazing.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #13
SC88
Twin Turbo

Drives: 2016 2SS
Whatever came of this?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
soceur77

Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 17 GTR 22 RS6
Ive been running RF, Tony TB and VLC for almost a month no CEL. This is normal spirited and full wot pulls daily. Just to see how much fun I filled up on Monday and filled up again Friday. I usually get a week and a few days on one tank of gas lol
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote