Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-27-2018, 06:53 PM   #1
Yippee38

Drives: '11 SGM 1LT/RS, '02 SOM Firehawk
Struggling with Essence

I'm trying to get my new Camaro protected for the winter with CQuartz. So I spent the last 3 days working on the paint. Day one, I got the car cleaned and decontaminated. Then I started with paint correction (compounding). Day 2 was more compounding, all day. I'm a perfectionist, but I'm trying to be reasonable with my expectations. That said, i want my paint as nice as reasonably possible.

I've got an old PC 7424 (not the new version) and lake county 5.5" pads (orange, white and black). I used some old Meguiar's Heavy-Cut Cleaner-M4 that I've had forever. As far as I can tell the M4 falls somewhere below 105 and 205, though closer to 105. With the PC, it took forever, and my results were not perfect. However, I was pretty happy as it took out all but one of the bird poop etches. One is really deep and I don't know if I can remove enough material to get through it without going through the clear. It's in a tough spot to see on the roof, so it may have been there a LONG time at the dealer. Anyway, it took forever, but I got to where I thought it was ready for polishing.

So today I started using Essence and a white pad. I tested it on a fender and got really good results, but it took a long time. I did the roof, though it probably took me 2 hours. Next I did the trunk and was super happy with the results, but I did notice that there were still scratches. My method up until then was to use about 4 pea sized spots of Essence on the white pad. Tap it around on the paint and smear it a bit. Then even it out on speed 2. Then I'd put the speed up anywhere between 4 and 5.5, and just work that section over and over. I moved on and started working on the side of the car. Immediately, I did the first section and it went fine. Then I moved to the next section and got horrible results. So I tried faster and slower and got nowhere. I went online and saw a recommendation to start on a higher speed, with moderate pressure for one or two passes, the reduce the speed a little bit and do two passes with very light pressure. It worked, and was fast as hell. Next section, it didn't. So I've since then, been trying different combinations. One technique seems to work great on one section, but then not very well at all on the next section.

At this point, I've tried it so many ways, I don't know what worked and what didn't. I went back and looked at my trunk compared to the rear fender, and it looks like crap. Tons of scratches. I tried Essence with an orange pad, the white again, and the black. I even hit it with the Heavy-cut cleaner again, then then white again. It still has more scratches than any other panel. I'm linking an out of focus picture.

So I'm looking for advice on the best way to use Essence.

I've read that when using Essence for polishing to use it sparingly. I'm not priming my pads, and I'm not using any water or QD on the pad or paint. I've tried 4-5 spots of Essence, and I've tried 2. I've also read that if you have scratches to remove, start with a higher speed and moderate pressure for the first two passes, then slow it down and go with very light pressure to finish. I've tried doing this for a bunch of passes, and just two on the med-speed/light pressure (almost none). I can't figure out what speeds are best. Most of what I see online is for the Boss 21 or the Rupes. I know my DA is weaker than those, so I'm guessing that I'd use higher speed on the PC? It seems like anything below about 4.5, I can't use any pressure or it comes almost to a stop.

TL;DR - I'm looking for advice on PC7424 speed settings, pressure and number of passes to use Carpro Essence on a 2018 Camaro for polishing the paint in prep for CQuartz. I'm having a hard time getting rid of fine scratches.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Essense is a finishing polish. No two ways about it. It won't do any type of major correction at all , and is just a surface prep. If the scratches are deep, you may need to go to a Pro and have him use a rotary, then finish off with a random orbital. Scratches don't come out easily… ..........also You need to use a stronger polishing product from CarPro.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Try Clearcut from Carpro with a cutting pad, stuff is great!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
Yippee38

Hmm. Ok. I don't think these are deep scratches though. They look more like micro-scratches.
Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
You can try a cutting pad with Essence, but it is a polish and wont likely remove them. I have been able to get some small blemishes and fine scratches with Essence, but it is nof easy since it is not a compound

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:14 PM   #6
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
I'd try Meguiars M205. It's my go to polish and will definitely clean up 105 scratches.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Since you are getting good results in one section, then not getting good results in the next one, my guess would be your pad is clogged with spent product.

I haven't used the Megs M4 you are using, but I've read it's a diminishing abrasive compound, designed for older lacquer or enamel paint, so the light marring left over could be from it.

You also didn't mention how often you are cleaning your pads, you should use a pad brush, or a towel after each section, especially with compound. It's possible your pads are getting clogged and aren't cutting properly.

Also after compounding, you should wipe the panel down with Eraser to remove any residue or oils from the paint. This will ensure a proper bond with Essence.

It's a good idea to have 3 pads of each type, because at some point they will get loaded up with paint residue and spent product, even if your cleaning them after each section, so then change to a new pad.

You don't need pressure when using Essence, just a slow arm movement.

I've tried many different pads with Essence, and for light correction, the Megs 5" DMF finishing pads work great.

The PC cuts very slow, and requires a slow movement of the machine to work properly.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 10-29-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Yippee38

Thanks for the help guys. I was expecting too much from Essence.

I went with M105 and Meguiar's MF cutting pads. That worked really well for correcting problems. I started using Essence again today with the black pad. It's weird though, because M105 doesn't leave the paint very cloudy at all. So Essence doesn't have to do much. It looks good though.