#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2018, 07:42 PM   #1
birdmanf16

Drives: 2022 Zl1 1lE
Send a message via MSN to birdmanf16 Send a message via Yahoo to birdmanf16
A bit of a rant to vent after 8 hours at dealership

So, Here is what happened. I drop the car off at 0800. Had an appointment and had 4 tasks for them. Change the oil. Change the rear diff oil. Change the brake fluid and do a performance alignment. After 8 hours, I left with an oil change and the rear diff maybe changed...hard to tell.
Here is how it all went horribly wrong...besides the fact that I was at a dealership doing this work. The wheels had dealer installed (from a different dealer where I bought the car) wheel locking lugs. The dealer I had do the work today could not get those lugs off...so they promptly ruined one lug and then broke the tool off in another. I show up in the afternoon to get the car and went out to look at it. The tech said very proudly, that he did the rear wheels on the alignment, but could not adjust the front wheels any more than they were...I told him all the guys are getting at least -2.5 on the front. He says nope, impossible. I then asked if the brakes were done...nope. Can't do it unless I remove the wheels and that is impossible because I broke off the lug socket in your lug nut. I said, can you please fix it. Nope, can not do that. We did not do the installation. Then I look at the back wheel where he somehow removed the locking lug, but must have stripped it since in its place was what appeared to be a oversize truck lug on the wheel. I said wtf is that? He said we don't have any oem lug nuts anywhere around. This is when I start getting upset. I look at my service guy Max (who is a really good dude) and said, Max....in 8 hours, I have half of an alignment, broken lugs, ruined lug socket, no brake fluid change and a sketchy diff fluid change. I start getting a bit hot and walk off. I said, take down and find a lug nut and give me the car. I did get an oil change, but they did not know anything about a performance supplement for the car and used the wrong oil I think. The rear diff was changed, but I look at the bill and they charged me for 5 quarts of fluid. I called them on that. I said, it takes about 1.5....did you change the correct fluid on the rear diff? I think there are two places to change? Not sure. They did not really know. Now I have a car with unknown rear diff changed fluid...pretty sure it was in the dark center part of the rear diff and they verified it really was 1.5 quarts, so I think that was done correctly. I now have to go to a alignment shop tomorrow to fix the alignment which is most assurdly done wrong. I will run with the changed oil for now. I also have to get the brake fluid done still .......oh yeah, and pay someone to either cut or somehow remove and replace the lock lugs. phew, what a day.
birdmanf16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
JK001

Drives: ZHP, Alfa 4C, RAM, X5, 17SS1LE-sold
Dang, sorry this happened to you...I'd ask to see the service manager, then the overall dealership manager. also, write to GM. This is out of this world unacceptable!
JK001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #3
birdmanf16

The bad part was it took to the 7 hour point before I knew they even had an issue. I could have bailed long, long ago and made another plan.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
birdmanf16

Rear diff question....sorry, I really did read the thread on it.

I read the thread on changing the rear diff fluid. The one that seems confusing since it mixes regular SS with 1LE's and there is talk about another fluid with friction modifier vs one that has it.
Bottom line....
Question 1: Is there one place to change rear diff fluid, or two?
(I just had it changed and they were a bit confused as well)
Question 2: Is the "rear diff" that should be changed before a track day on the center of the rear diff with a dark brown/black drain point and it has a metal fill hole on the side?
Question 3: Is it normal that the bends on the exhaust are crushed to about 1/4 of the diameter in that area? crazy restriction of air flow if it is.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #5
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmanf16 View Post
So, Here is what happened. I drop the car off at 0800. Had an appointment and had 4 tasks for them. Change the oil. Change the rear diff oil. Change the brake fluid and do a performance alignment. After 8 hours, I left with an oil change and the rear diff maybe changed...hard to tell.
Here is how it all went horribly wrong...besides the fact that I was at a dealership doing this work. The wheels had dealer installed (from a different dealer where I bought the car) wheel locking lugs. The dealer I had do the work today could not get those lugs off...so they promptly ruined one lug and then broke the tool off in another. I show up in the afternoon to get the car and went out to look at it. The tech said very proudly, that he did the rear wheels on the alignment, but could not adjust the front wheels any more than they were...I told him all the guys are getting at least -2.5 on the front. He says nope, impossible. I then asked if the brakes were done...nope. Can't do it unless I remove the wheels and that is impossible because I broke off the lug socket in your lug nut. I said, can you please fix it. Nope, can not do that. We did not do the installation. Then I look at the back wheel where he somehow removed the locking lug, but must have stripped it since in its place was what appeared to be a oversize truck lug on the wheel. I said wtf is that? He said we don't have any oem lug nuts anywhere around. This is when I start getting upset. I look at my service guy Max (who is a really good dude) and said, Max....in 8 hours, I have half of an alignment, broken lugs, ruined lug socket, no brake fluid change and a sketchy diff fluid change. I start getting a bit hot and walk off. I said, take down and find a lug nut and give me the car. I did get an oil change, but they did not know anything about a performance supplement for the car and used the wrong oil I think. The rear diff was changed, but I look at the bill and they charged me for 5 quarts of fluid. I called them on that. I said, it takes about 1.5....did you change the correct fluid on the rear diff? I think there are two places to change? Not sure. They did not really know. Now I have a car with unknown rear diff changed fluid...pretty sure it was in the dark center part of the rear diff and they verified it really was 1.5 quarts, so I think that was done correctly. I now have to go to a alignment shop tomorrow to fix the alignment which is most assurdly done wrong. I will run with the changed oil for now. I also have to get the brake fluid done still .......oh yeah, and pay someone to either cut or somehow remove and replace the lock lugs. phew, what a day.
Simpson in Irvine?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #6
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Sounds like dealership SOP.
Look on the bright side, at least you weren't in the waiting room the whole time.

I'd ditch the locking lugnuts asap unless you leave your car unattended a lot, they can turn into a PITA.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:21 PM   #7
birdmanf16

No, Connell in Cost Mesa. I will get rid of the locking lugs tomorrow when I have a shop that is not a dealership do the work correctly.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:14 PM   #8
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
I read the thread on changing the rear diff fluid. The one that seems confusing since it mixes regular SS with 1LE's and there is talk about another fluid with friction modifier vs one that has it.
Bottom line....
Question 1: Is there one place to change rear diff fluid, or two?
(I just had it changed and they were a bit confused as well)
The DIFF fluid is only one spot, but there is also a fluid change possible (but not needed for a long time) for the ediff hydraulics. You can leave that be. Just use GM 10-4034 fluid (has the friction modifier in it), and you are good. Can do it in your driveway. 88862624 is the same part number. You do not need to add anything else to it, just get a pump to pump it in.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-10-40...=10-4034&psc=1

Quote:
Question 2: Is the "rear diff" that should be changed before a track day on the center of the rear diff with a dark brown/black drain point and it has a metal fill hole on the side?
Correct. That is the only DIFF fluid to change. The other confusion is the ediff hydraulics which are not really needed (certainly not for a long time).

Quote:
Question 3: Is it normal that the bends on the exhaust are crushed to about 1/4 of the diameter in that area? crazy restriction of air flow if it is.
Unfortunately, yes. This is by design (even on the ZL1 1LE!!!). We all universally hate it.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
You need to document the hell out of this and get statements

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #10
Ventura 1LE

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Hate to hear your troubles. Get the alignment done at a good alignment shop. As far as the locking lug nuts. I would talk to the dealership in ordering a complete new set of lug nuts. They most likley can get them expressed to them. Free of charge is what i would push.

The alignment shop could split the lug nut but have them to have lug nuts on hand before any work to be done plus wheel studs. You need to be able to check your lug nuts after the 1st session i noticed a couple of mine worked loose.. wait until the wheels cools a bit before checking them.

As far as fluid changes run with what you got for now. If your rear end chatters then you know you got to add the LS additive. You can tell easy by backing the car up and turn the wheel all the way it will chatter.

I would suggest if you can find a place to do your own fluid change and brake bleeding that will save you the hassle. I bought a MityVac bleeder and it does help you need a air compressor.

Also if you know a military friend then go to the base. They have car lifts and basic tools to help you out.

Hopefully you can get it sort it out tommorrow. You could possibly call Speed Ventures and push your day to Sunday to run.
Ventura 1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:05 PM   #11
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
No, Connell in Cost Mesa. I will get rid of the locking lugs tomorrow when I have a shop that is not a dealership do the work correctly.
Let me know if you find a trusted local shop.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #12
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Unfortunately, yes. This is by design (even on the ZL1 1LE!!!). We all universally hate it.
Mishimoto found there was no power loss with the crushed pipes, at least on the SS. Hard to believe, but they tested it.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:17 PM   #13
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitespeed View Post
Mishimoto found there was no power loss with the crushed pipes, at least on the SS. Hard to believe, but they tested it.

Nigel
Yeah I saw that...

... the hate is still real lol! I hate them!
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:24 PM   #14
JonD

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Yeah I saw that...

... the hate is still real lol! I hate them!
Yup, I’ll change the whole rear section just for the weight savings even if I don’t pick up power ;0)

But I’m like that
JonD is offline   Reply With Quote