BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #1
Staubsauger17
Wisconsin Camaro Pres.

Drives: '17 Camaro ZL1
17'-18' ZL1 Dive Planes [ZL1 Addons]

Came across these dive planes from ZL1 Addons for our 17'-18' ZL1s:

https://zl1addons.com/collections/di...l1-dive-planes

I like how you can use your OEM front bumper and not do any heavy modifications to it. The small aluminum bracket that fits between the body panels for the top support looks rigid. I also appreciate that you can keep the vertical DRLs. Most of all - great price!

However, the dive planes are lacking the side edge like the OEM 1LE and only comes in ABS plastic. Structural stability? I feel these dive planes are more for cosmetic purposes than actual aero effect. Then again, I may only track my car once a year...

...If only I had the time to look at doing a flow simulation with these on my SolidWorks...

Thoughts? Has anyone purchased them?

'17 Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Staubsauger17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #2
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staubsauger17 View Post
Came across these dive planes from ZL1 Addons for our 17'-18' ZL1s:

https://zl1addons.com/collections/di...l1-dive-planes

I like how you can use your OEM front bumper and not do any heavy modifications to it. The small aluminum bracket that fits between the body panels for the top support looks rigid. I also appreciate that you can keep the vertical DRLs. Most of all - great price!

However, the dive planes are lacking the side edge like the OEM 1LE and only comes in ABS plastic. Structural stability? I feel these dive planes are more for cosmetic purposes than actual aero effect. Then again, I may only track my car once a year...

...If only I had the time to look at doing a flow simulation with these on my SolidWorks...

Thoughts? Has anyone purchased them?
saw them up close at Camaros and Coffee. They are very sturdy. My understanding is that the dive planes on the ZL1 1LE work in conjunction with the increased downforce from the wing. The flow studies showed significant improvement when they are added together, less so individually.

So even without the added vertical edge that you see on the OEM dive planes (that isn't on the ZL1 addons), if you don't have the rear wing, you are still sub-optimal regarding function. Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else will chime in
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:17 PM   #3
Staubsauger17
Wisconsin Camaro Pres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
saw them up close at Camaros and Coffee. They are very sturdy. My understanding is that the dive planes on the ZL1 1LE work in conjunction with the increased downforce from the wing. The flow studies showed significant improvement when they are added together, less so individually.

So even without the added vertical edge that you see on the OEM dive planes (that isn't on the ZL1 addons), if you don't have the rear wing, you are still sub-optimal regarding function. Just my thoughts, I'm sure someone else will chime in
Yeah I was thinking of pairing with the wing from C7 sometime this year. But then again, my goal isn't strictly function (for now).

At this price, I'm thinking I'll purchase them and try them out. Curious about the way it screws in on the front.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
drfeelgood

Quote:
Yeah I was thinking of pairing with the wing from C7 sometime this year. But then again, my goal isn't strictly function (for now).

At this price, I'm thinking I'll purchase them and try them out. Curious about the way it screws in on the front.
I hear you, I purchased them (for looks not function). I really like they maintain complete visualization of the vertical DRL's, and did not cut through the vented area. I have them in my garage, have not installed them yet
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

Old 03-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #5
Staubsauger17
Wisconsin Camaro Pres.

Mine just arrived... but I incorrectly received the SS ones instead...

Let me know when you install yours!

Old 03-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
drfeelgood

Quote:
Mine just arrived... but I incorrectly received the SS ones instead...

Let me know when you install yours!
I've had mine for over a week, haven't installed them yet. They were missing some necessary pieces for the install. no big deal, john put some more in the mail. I may install them this weekend. If I do, will send pics.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:46 PM   #7
redone000

Drives: 2017 ZL1, Arctic Blue, A10
Has anyone installed their dive planes yet ? I was thinking about getting them also.
redone000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone000 View Post
Has anyone installed their dive planes yet ? I was thinking about getting them also.
Yes, I installed mine, had them painted to match the mosaic black of the front grill, hood insert, and splitter. Also painted the steel brackets black as well. It looks much more OEM than the flat black... will post pics in a sec

https://instagram.com/p/BiN_apSgeBT/

I don’t have the high res pics, but here is a link to a photog from Camaro Con

Last edited by drfeelgood; 05-03-2018 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #9
cann1x

Drives: 17 black 6m < 18 garnett a10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfeelgood View Post
Yes, I installed mine, had them painted to match the mosaic black of the front grill, hood insert, and splitter. Also painted the steel brackets black as well. It looks much more OEM than the flat black... will post pics in a sec

https://instagram.com/p/BiN_apSgeBT/

I don’t have the high res pics, but here is a link to a photog from Camaro Con
How easy was the install?
cann1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:08 PM   #10
redone000

Please tell us about the install.
Old 05-04-2018, 11:33 AM   #11
drfeelgood

Install was very simple. You don't need to pull out the entire front bumper,

1. turn the wheel inward (or remove the wheel) , remove the screws in the felt fender liner,

2. remove the support bolt connecting the bottom bumper to the fender.

3. insert the bracket reusing the factory bolt and re-connect the bumper and fender (dive plane not yet attached)

4. there are small tabs attached the bottom of the dive plane, those will be kind of jammed/wedged just underneath the bottom of the black grille opening in the bumper

5. now that the dive plane is aligned with the grille/bumper, at the bottom there are very small holes ,1/8" I believe, that you drill using the ZL1addons-provided drill bit.

6. using the provided 1/8" mini screws, secure the bottom of the dive plane

7. using provided screws, secure the top of the dive plane to the brackets secured in step 3

You can call John, the designer at ZL!1addons, and he will actually walk you through it. He's awesome. He was even doing installs for free at the CamaroCon event this past weekend.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
redone000

Thanks for the info. It sure looks great.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:33 PM   #13
drfeelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by redone000 View Post
Thanks for the info. It sure looks great.
thanks, no problem. After a thorough primer layer, we had to shoot about 9 coats of paint to get the gold specks in the black mosaic to pop like they do on the factory pieces.

I highly recommend this vs the textured flat black look that they come in

Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #14
redone000

Good to know, thanks for the tip.