The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Corvette7.com General Forums > Corvette Stingray C7 General Discussions

Old 05-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Optimus

Drives: Former 2010 and 2013 Camaro owner
Lol, I like the idea of getting both but with 2 kids in out of state universities, that is not an option...

Haven't pulled the trigger on either yet as I have been on the road for 3 straight weeks. At this rate, I'll be into a 17 model year for sure.

Did myself a disservice and drove a Z06 this past weekend - WOW!!!! Now the Z51 feels slow.

What a great time to buy a muscle/sports car - GM has some incredible vehicles for sure.
Optimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
phillip123hastings

Drives: A real beast
The ZL1 will be the HIS i suppose
phillip123hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:05 PM   #17
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
Lol, I like the idea of getting both but with 2 kids in out of state universities, that is not an option...

Haven't pulled the trigger on either yet as I have been on the road for 3 straight weeks. At this rate, I'll be into a 17 model year for sure.

Did myself a disservice and drove a Z06 this past weekend - WOW!!!! Now the Z51 feels slow.

What a great time to buy a muscle/sports car - GM has some incredible vehicles for sure.
If you are going to wait for a 2107 model, I would definitely drive a ZL1 to compare it against a Z06. There will be a big price difference between the two but a much smaller speed difference.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:50 AM   #18
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Not a 6th gen ZL1, but I did own a 5th gen ZL1 for a few years that I modified. Loved the car and honestly thought I would never get ride of it. I love the design of the C7 and the interior is fantasic, back in February I traded in my ZL1 for a 2016 2LT Z51, I absolutely love the car and do not regret the decision. The LT1 has fantastic low end torque and combine that with the lighter weight & it feels every bit as quick as my ZL1 which had ~575 rwhp. When I track it I can obviously tell the lack of hp on the top end on long straights but that is made up in the turns.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 01:37 PM   #19
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
I owned a 13 ZL1 for 3.5 years and daily drove the car. It was a great car but I felt it was time for something new.

First I am not in love with the new 16 Camaro looks.... so there is that. The 16 ZL1 looks very close to a standard Camaro and is less distinct than the older cars in my opinion. But with less weight and more power I thought maybe.

So I drove a fully loaded 16 SS2 Camaro with Mag Ride and 6 Pot brakes. Car was over 50K and only slightly cheaper than I paid for my 13 ZL1. (And 20K more than my fully loaded 10 SS2 Camaro was!!!)

1) Performance. Both cars are supposed to be about the same. There is no way. Maybe my RotoFab gave me 100 more RWHP <jk> but it was not even close.

2) Outward view. About the same and maybe a little worse out the back. (Can that even be possible?)

3) Overall livability. The 16+ Camaros are a ton smaller inside. My head hit the roof and did not on my 13. The trunk is microscopic! The 13 had 12 cubic feet of trunk space and the 16 has 9 cubic feet.

The back seat has zero leg or head room which made it useless other than small kids or a storage shelf. (Maybe makes up some for the joke of a trunk.)

So I drove a 16 2LZ Z06 Corvette.

1) Interior headroom is better than the Camaro. Quality of the Corvette interior is better than the new Camaro. And has more interior features included unless they add some in the ZL1 that were not in the SS2 car. The front parking cameras are awesome. Always hated parking nose in on my ZL1 due to fear of hitting the spoiler on the parking bumper. I did not see the cameras on the front of the 16 ZL1 show cars.

2) Power.... More power and less weight. No chance the new ZL1 will be lighter or more powerful than a Z06. It will definitely have less rear tire so traction will be less. My 13 ZL1 was very strong and could clip an easy 11 sec quarter mile if I drove it well. The Z06 is a full SECOND faster and it is easy to feel the difference.

3) Handling. My ZL1 was amazing. The Z06 is just better which was hard for me to believe.

4) Livability. The Corvette has a 15 cubic feet of space and is massive. The downside is that you have to lift all items over the fender to put them into it. My car is an Aero2 car so the wing is a PITA that blocks rear trunk access. Also has better visibility. Fuel cost is better than my ZL1. My ZL1 was averaging 14.6 MPG and my Z06 is 18 MPG. (I tend to be a little hot footed so not getting the best mileage I could on either car.)

5) Cost. Base Z06 is more money than ZL1. I expect most 16 ZL1 to be mid 60K and pushing 70K depending on options. As they will be new most will sell at MSRP or above. The Z06 has been out for a bit so deals can be had. I paid way below sticker on mine. No matter what the cost on a Z06 will be higher but for at least the next 12 months I would expect them to be close enough to be a consideration.

So that is my long winded review. For the money I would consider the Vette over the new ZL1. One to look out for is the new Grand Sport. Once it hits I am certain new Z51s on the lots will get a ton of mark down.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Having had the honor of owning a ZL1 and now a C7 Z51, it's a toss up as to which car is better cuz it all depends on what you're into.

Both are amazing and very capable machines. Both go from 0-60 in 3.7 seconds. Both have a top speed of 185+ mph right off the showroom floor. Both have great handling with the magnetic ride.

It boils down to this...

Do you like a 4200 lb brick with 580 hp that gets 19 mpg and looks p***ed off just sitting still or a 3200 lb refined lazer with 460 hp that gets 30+ mpg and is elegant but deadly?

I LOVED both cars, but now only own a C7 Z51. IMO the C7 made my $61k ZL1 look and feel like a cheap, plastic toy.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Camaro's and as soon as I hit the lottery I'll have all kinds of them and Vettes in my stable.

However, with the new 2017 640hp ZL1 coming... I'm being unfairly tempted.

Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #21
rcandiloro

Drives: 2018 ZLE
So, just an update......and apologies because I'm on a C7 forum and don't own a C7 but posted previously that I was having the same dilemma as the OP. I went a totally different direction and ended up getting a ZR1. The standard C7 Stingray is a great car and I like them, but don't LOVE them. I LOVE the C7 Z06 but can't pay the $100k+ for the car I wanted. The ZR1 fit the bill for $60k. Awesome car and I LOVE the way it looks....but that's just me. Anyhow, 2017 ZL1, great choice, Stingray Z51, great choice, C7 Grand Sport, great choice....are you getting my drift? There are no bad options. If you haven't thought about a C6 ZR1 I recommend just taking a look.....
rcandiloro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #22
SR-71

Drives: 2015 Z51 Coupe 2LT Shark/red
My wife just gave me "permission"...