BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlct3 View Post
Interested in results and how this turns out... I drive on the street and want to try the track settings for a couple track days, but make the change back to "street mode" for normal use and tire wear. Such a pita having aligned, realigned, etc. Thanks for sharing.
Of course - I'm really interested as well.

We took some very basic measurements with toe plates at the shop the first time we adjusted...and it seemed like the toe went out just as much as it was set "in" when you switched the camber plates...

So we'll see with some high tech equipment.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #16
Joszer

I've tracked my car 4 times already and each time I swapped the camber from street, to track, and back to street on the paddock with nothing but one jack, one jackstand, and hand tools. It's not hard to do, you just have to make sure your car is high enough to drop the shock low enough so that when you rotate it, it doesn't get jammed from the fins within the shock tower. Each time I've done it with the tire on the car. The whole processes for both wheels takes like 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

I never got the car aligned, but I assume that my setting were way off when in track camber. Here are my front tires after 4 track days. I am going to get my car aligned on May 22nd. I am going to have them align it in track mode, and make another measurement once in street mode again. I'll update everyone with the results. Maybe there's a happy medium for both modes.

Joszer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:45 PM   #17
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
This topic has been beat to death
Stay out of here then. No gains for you.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:36 AM   #18
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joszer View Post
I've tracked my car 4 times already and each time I swapped the camber from street, to track, and back to street on the paddock with nothing but one jack, one jackstand, and hand tools. It's not hard to do, you just have to make sure your car is high enough to drop the shock low enough so that when you rotate it, it doesn't get jammed from the fins within the shock tower. Each time I've done it with the tire on the car. The whole processes for both wheels takes like 10 minutes once you get the hang of it.

I never got the car aligned, but I assume that my setting were way off when in track camber. Here are my front tires after 4 track days. I am going to get my car aligned on May 22nd. I am going to have them align it in track mode, and make another measurement once in street mode again. I'll update everyone with the results. Maybe there's a happy medium for both modes.
I'm guessing you probably have a $%&@ ton of toe out in track setting with that tire wear.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:25 AM   #19
MeanZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
Chevy dealer.....got a sharp mechanic there that is the only one that is allowed to work on my car....while I watch.
You're lucky, finding a good dealer mechanic is like a unicorn!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
MeanZL11LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:31 AM   #20
MeanZL11LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It's best to lift the entire front end up at once. jacking up one corner forces the stabilizer bar to resist the strut dropping and can cause it to hang up.

It's convenient you asked this - I've done this before several times.

But I'm having the car aligned twice at Tom Henry Chevrolet this Saturday. We will align it in street mode, and then switch the camber and height adjustments and take a measurement. If it's not right - we're going to re-align it...and then switch back to street settings to see what THAT does.

The camber and toe measurements are dynamic, and change with the geometry of the suspension.
Thanks for the info, I'm using "quick jack" to lift the entire car. I plan on checking toe prior to changing camber and then setting it to GM specs with string box around car. Hopefully this gets the toe set relatively close.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:40 AM   #21
MeanZL11LE

Thanks for the info and pictures. Once I set up the suspension for track I really don't plan on switching back to street settings. The only street driving I will be doing is to and from the track and this should give me even tire wear.

Where have you tracked your car?

Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 AM   #22
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Very curious where the specs are from the factory. I'm going to be doing my first track day later this month and plan on taking it fairly easy for the first event. I'm wondering if it is worth changing to "track specs" for this first event or just leaving it on factory set up. I tracked my 17 ZL1 many times, so I'm not a rookie, but this will be the first event with the ZL1LE. Also, I will be driving to the event. It is about 75 miles away. Opinions?
Old 05-19-2018, 02:02 PM   #23
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Cole View Post
Very curious where the specs are from the factory. I'm going to be doing my first track day later this month and plan on taking it fairly easy for the first event. I'm wondering if it is worth changing to "track specs" for this first event or just leaving it on factory set up. I tracked my 17 ZL1 many times, so I'm not a rookie, but this will be the first event with the ZL1LE. Also, I will be driving to the event. It is about 75 miles away. Opinions?
One thing to consider....if you track the car, depending on the track layout and how aggressively you drive, having the car set up with track alignment settings will preserve the tires much more. As in cord your tires way too quickly without a proper track alignment.....

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 10:22 AM   #24
Sooner Cole

Drives: 2019 ZL1-1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010REDSS View Post
One thing to consider....if you track the car, depending on the track layout and how aggressively you drive, having the car set up with track alignment settings will preserve the tires much more. As in cord your tires way too quickly without a proper track alignment.....
I think you may be right. Especially with the soft compound GY OEM tires. It makes it difficult if you also drive on the street a lot. Changing alignments back and forth is a PITA.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #25
2010REDSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner Cole View Post
I think you may be right. Especially with the soft compound GY OEM tires. It makes it difficult if you also drive on the street a lot. Changing alignments back and forth is a PITA.
Yep....I think you might eat the Goodyears in one day on the track without some significant (track settings) negative camber and the right toe.

I don't drive my ZL1 1LE on the street much....Camaro Club car show yesterday for example....so I leave it in track alignment full time. Works for me. YMMV.

2018 ZL1 1LE "RAZECAR"
2016 2SS Convertible "NOTOPSS" (Sold)
2015 Z/28 #306 "ITZFAST"
2010 2SS Coupe "FASSTER" (Sold)
2002 SS/RS "02FASST" (Sold)
2007 Factory Five Racing GTM "REDBLUR" (Sold)

"There are two kinds of cars. Red....and everything else!"
2010REDSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 01:30 PM   #26
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Subscribed.

Thanks. Updates and opinions appreciated.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
Mr. Wyndham

Alright, so here's the initial results from a thorough (triple) alignment process at Tom Henry Chevy (thanks to Ray for his expertise, care, and professionalism!)...I'll post the full readouts as soon as I get home and near a scanner.

My car was aligned damn-near perfectly from the factory @ street settings. Rear camber was too positive, but not a big deal. When the the camber plates were switched from street to track setting, camber went to -2.8, and the front tires toed out by about .25º on each side. We took that toe setting in to Chevy-recommended .05. Your dealer can pull up multiple alignments for the ZL1 1LE.

I did 4 30-minute sessions at the full-course 3.5 Pocono track day, today. Unfortunately, it rained all night, and the morning sessions were annoying. It also means the tire wear was WAY down...But at first glance, it looks like the tires wore pretty evenly through the remainder of the day.

My suspicion is that the added toe out from switching the camber plates is contributing to accelerated wear on the insides of the tires. And Chevy doesn't want that much toe out to begin with...

...More to come....(including some PDR video)
Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanZL11LE View Post
Thanks for the info, I'm using "quick jack" to lift the entire car. I plan on checking toe prior to changing camber and then setting it to GM specs with string box around car. Hopefully this gets the toe set relatively close.

WHAT ARE YOUR LIFT POINTS!?!?!?!

I was just trying to do this with my QuickJack on Friday, and I couldn't f#(*^Q#(% figure out where to put the blocks!!

(Can you take pictures for me? Pretty please? )