Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 09-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #1
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
High G turn + low fuel = check engine light

I have 25 miles to drive to get to a shop that can check/clear the code that popped up last night while I was driving home. I am looking for some advice on whether or not I should drive it that far (with check engine light on) at freeway speeds all the way.

I was driving home on fumes and a BMW wanted to play and I couldn't refuse. We came up on a hard right hand turn, I was in front, and I dove into the turn in third gear near red line and tapped the brake at the apex of the turn and the check engine light popped on. I know from previous experience that I was pulling at least .9 Gs at that point in the turn. I have 25K miles on my car and this is the first code it has thrown.

What do you guys think?
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:32 AM   #2
Rlhay2

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I think it is coincidence.
Most Auto parts stores can read the code and tell you what it is.
Rlhay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #3
SFV1LE

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue ZL1 1LE
As long as tank is full, I think you're fine driving it to mechanic. But you need an OBD 2 scanner, they're like $30-$60. I like the Autel ones and prefer a cable to a Bluetooth link, Amazon has them and I'm sure Autozone has a good selection.

I think with high G and no fuel you probably had a brief fuel starvation and maybe knock from lean out, or maybe just code for low fuel pressure, etc. Probably once is not an issue and the ECU safety measures protected the motor, but don't ever do that again :-)

If you have a warranty and go to dealer, don't tell them this story. Just say you were cruising on freeway and light came on.
SFV1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Stevezx900

Drives: Buick Grand National, BMW M5
You didn’t finish your story.
At the turn was the BMW in your rear view or your PDR ?
Stevezx900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevezx900 View Post
You didn’t finish your story.
At the turn was the BMW in your rear view or your PDR ?
Shit! I was accelerating into the turn and I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw a hard nose-dive as he decided not to play anymore I limped it home and he still never passed me!
Old 09-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
MartinLe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
As long as tank is full, I think you're fine driving it to mechanic. But you need an OBD 2 scanner, they're like $30-$60. I like the Autel ones and prefer a cable to a Bluetooth link, Amazon has them and I'm sure Autozone has a good selection.

I think with high G and no fuel you probably had a brief fuel starvation and maybe knock from lean out, or maybe just code for low fuel pressure, etc. Probably once is not an issue and the ECU safety measures protected the motor, but don't ever do that again :-)

If you have a warranty and go to dealer, don't tell them this story. Just say you were cruising on freeway and light came on.
" don't ever do that again :-)" AMEN to that! I will keep her at 1/2 tank or more from now on. We must always be ready to disabuse those who reach beyond their station
Old 09-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
L78toLT1

Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
You will be fine. This is a fairly common issue with low fuel levels and high g right turns. The pump is on the left side of the tank and can be momentarily starved for fuel under these conditions. There's nothing wrong with your car. Get a cheap obd2 Bluetooth adapter and download the Torque app to read/clear the codes, which in your case will be 0231- low secondar fuel system voltage, and 069 - fuel pump control module requested MIL.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #8
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Pretty common problem at AutoX events with any car. This happened with my GT3. Got into a limp home mode with errors. A little gas fixed the issues. Not great to be killing it on fumes.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 07:02 AM   #9
Swift016

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
You will be fine. This is a fairly common issue with low fuel levels and high g right turns. The pump is on the left side of the tank and can be momentarily starved for fuel under these conditions. There's nothing wrong with your car. Get a cheap obd2 Bluetooth adapter and download the Torque app to read/clear the codes, which in your case will be 0231- low secondar fuel system voltage, and 069 - fuel pump control module requested MIL.
Are you sure ??
If the pump is on the left side, a high G right turn would not uncover the pickup, but a high G left turn sure could.... same issue can exist in wet sump oil systems under high lateral G and heavy braking... hopefully Chevy spent a lot of time on oil pan design, pickup location and baffling...
One of the many advantages of a dry sump ...
Swift016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
L78toLT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift016 View Post
Are you sure ??
If the pump is on the left side, a high G right turn would not uncover the pickup, but a high G left turn sure could.... same issue can exist in wet sump oil systems under high lateral G and heavy braking... hopefully Chevy spent a lot of time on oil pan design, pickup location and baffling...
One of the many advantages of a dry sump ...
Duhhh! I'm digging out my engineering degrees, mailing them back and demanding a refund! Obviously didn't proof my reply before posting. Just substitute left for right and it's all good!
It will be interesting to see what CELs the pop's car threw. I haven't heard of any low side CELs on a bone stock car.
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels & brakes/GForce DS and axles/ZLE Cradle Bushings/FE4 ARB front & rear/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/95mm TB/Magnuson 2300/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/E85 Sensor/Ported CID heads from LME/Cammotion PD cam/Thompson Motorsports forged shortblock/catted Kooks 1 7/8 headers /JRE remote tuned
Old 09-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #11
L78toLT1

I was really off my game on this one...pump is on the other left, ie the right...
Old 09-19-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Swift016

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
I was really off my game on this one...pump is on the other left, ie the right...
Most of the time I have 2 “other lefts”.... legacy of my Army days... lol !!!
Swift016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
MartinLe

Quote:
I have two lefts, too I knew which one you meant. Thanks for your spot on advice.