#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-30-2021, 01:54 AM   #1
TLB_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Previous Owner???

Hello all,

As the title states, I am looking for the previous owner of this car. Really hoping it’s someone on this forum.. Dealership image of engine bay shows a Rotofab Big Gulp and green belt so the car has been modded, just trying to get some more information since the dealership claims to not know what all is done. Thanks in advance for any help!! Pics attached as well as the following info:

2019 ZL1 1LE (VIN: 1G1FJ1R67K0109801)
Black
Located in Tampa, FL
(please delete if not allowed)
Attached Images

TLB_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #2
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Looks like it also has an aftermarket exhaust (black tips). There might also be headers in there.

I’d be very leary of this car if your plan is to track it. Spinning that little 1.7L blower faster than stock generates a lot more heat. These cars already operate on the edge from the factory. Any push past that and you may find yourself disappointed with performance.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:13 AM   #3
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I agree with hawk02 that not knowing really anything about the ZLE except for the aftermarket parts installed it might be a good idea to pass on it. If you could find out the previous owner and contact him to get info on the car would be good but the dealership might or might not know their contact info or they can’t give you the information. It’s a safe bet though that with the mods done especially the RF Big Gulp CAI that it’s tuned and the warranty is gone. Good luck!
Old 05-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Looks like it also has an aftermarket exhaust (black tips). There might also be headers in there.

I’d be very leary of this car if your plan is to track it. Spinning that little 1.7L blower faster than stock generates a lot more heat. These cars already operate on the edge from the factory. Any push past that and you may find yourself disappointed with performance.
So just for everyones reference, you can't track a car with a pulley?
Old 05-30-2021, 10:09 AM   #5
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Does the dealer know the previous owner. In other words did they buy it/take on trade from the previous owner. If so, ask them to contact him/her and see if they will talk to you.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:00 PM   #6
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
So just for everyones reference, you can't track a car with a pulley?
You can drag race it at the track and be ok if it’s fully cooled down between runs. But if you road course track it with a pulley swap and no cooling mods it will get hot and pull timing, resulting in less power. You need to know if it has cooling mods if you plan to road course track it.
Kong Stage X Port, NW103, LPE HPFP, XDI +30 Injectors, ARH Headers, Flex Fuel, JMS Booster, AWE Touring, Elite E2-X CC. Stock heads, stock cam, stock pulleys: Tuned by KingLT1. 740whp Uncorrected on e50
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #7
TLB_ZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Thank you all for the feedback so far!

I had an '18 ZL1 (A10) that was totaled last year by drunk driver, so I am familiar with the platform and modifications. I absolutely loved the car and am debating if I should get another or hold out a few more years for the C8Z06.. but am looking to get a 6MT ZLE this time if so, would not be upset if it comes with some extra goodies lol.

I have reached out to the dealership to see if they know the previous owner or have a mod list that wasn't included in description. Hoping I can get some answers, the car is the perfect spec that I want, but not sure if I want to fly down to FL from OH just to check the car out for mods.. fingers crossed!
TLB_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Looks sick.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 07:49 PM   #9
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The dealership is lying. They know full well that car is modded. And most likely the person who traded it in left them with the mod list to give to the next owner. Or they left their contact info for the dealership to give to the next owner. Either that or the previous owner just didn't give 2 fcuks and dropped it off and said "see ya" and bounced. But I doubt there are many people THAT inconsiderate. Somebody there knows something and they aren't being completely forthcoming.

Not for nothin, but these dealerships have the same guys who work there all day on most days. It's not like Walmart where Tim might be there from 4-7 today and you'll never see him again. Someone brings a car like that in for a trade and trust me, everyone in the dealership will know the salesperson who handled it. If not then the sales manager will know for sure. No way nobody knows who brought it in, who handled the deal, etc. So tell them straight up to stop lying, literally, tell them that they are outright lying and they know who the salesperson was. Tell them you're not playing these stupid games with them. If they want to sell the car here and now then all you need is some info on the mods done because you do not want to be stuck with a modded car and no warranty ESPECIALLY not a ZL1. Tell them to cut the crap and give you some info. The salesman who handled it can call the previous owner and either ask if it is ok to give the new buyer his contact info, or he can have the guy call the dealership and talk to you over the phone. If they keep playing dumb then walk out and let someone else deal with their stupidity.

Trust me, on a high priced sale like that, the salesman you're dealing with will get his act right in a jiffy so he doesn't lose the sale to another salesman who will have his act together. Bet that car ain't been there more than a week IF that. It wouldn't take more than 5 minutes for them to get the info you need. Call them out on their crap, and then if they do pull their crap together, tell them that for giving you the run around you want them to drop the price. And then tell them you want a warranty in writing.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:19 PM   #10
AZIROC

Drives: '86 IROC-Z '18 ZL1
My only argument, to play devils advocate, is if the vehicle was an auction car. Then who knows where it could have came from. with how the used market is right now, id put $ on it was an auction car vs a trade in.

** i did a quick google search of the vin and first link was an auction place in NC. So its an auction car.. nothing wrong with that, just means whatever dealership it came from couldn't get it to sell and rolled the dice at auctioning it off and the dealer in FL picked it up. Id find someone to do a carfax on it and grt its history.

That being said, don't get emotionally attached to this car (or any car) when looking to buy. It will have you overlooking obvious things just cause you "have" to have it. Id take this car at face value. Its used with X amount of miles and short of a CAI and axle back (unless they KNOW it has headers / full exhuast) and more than likely carries no warranty. COULD it have a pulley. Sure. Could it have other internal stuff, sure. Could it be a FBO with upper/lower pulley and been beat on every day....yup. imo if it has a big gulp, you know it has to have atleast a tune on it or the car wouldn't run right. So it's plausible it has a pulley too.

Personally, unless it has EVERY mod you want (if you want mod) and you are ok with not knowing its history, id pass. I had to fly to TX (from az) to get my zl1 because there were all of 2 zl1's for sale here, and they were wanting today's prices, 6 months ago.
AZIROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 03:51 AM   #11
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZIROC View Post
My only argument, to play devils advocate, is if the vehicle was an auction car. Then who knows where it could have came from. with how the used market is right now, id put $ on it was an auction car vs a trade in.

** i did a quick google search of the vin and first link was an auction place in NC. So its an auction car.. nothing wrong with that, just means whatever dealership it came from couldn't get it to sell and rolled the dice at auctioning it off and the dealer in FL picked it up. Id find someone to do a carfax on it and grt its history.

That being said, don't get emotionally attached to this car (or any car) when looking to buy. It will have you overlooking obvious things just cause you "have" to have it. Id take this car at face value. Its used with X amount of miles and short of a CAI and axle back (unless they KNOW it has headers / full exhuast) and more than likely carries no warranty. COULD it have a pulley. Sure. Could it have other internal stuff, sure. Could it be a FBO with upper/lower pulley and been beat on every day....yup. imo if it has a big gulp, you know it has to have atleast a tune on it or the car wouldn't run right. So it's plausible it has a pulley too.

Personally, unless it has EVERY mod you want (if you want mod) and you are ok with not knowing its history, id pass. I had to fly to TX (from az) to get my zl1 because there were all of 2 zl1's for sale here, and they were wanting today's prices, 6 months ago.
Good assessment. After some thought, it is possible that the previous owner bought it new and then perhaps had to sell or ditch it due to the Pandemic. With all the restrictions on buying, and with a lot of people facing financial uncertainty, along with the C8 and GT500 arriving, I could see how a car like this that has been modded and comes without a warranty might sit for a while.

OP, I would say take it for a test drive and plug a scanner into it. Try to datalog it and see how everything looks. If it looks good then perhaps make an offer of around $50K...or less. The ball is kinda in your court since that car is without a warranty. I mean, if the tune is off and the engine blows then that is gonna cost you around $20K to replace. A trans issue could also be very costly. So really I can't see them getting more than that for this car in it's condition. If they don't want to bring the price down then simply walk away. It's too much of a risk if you ask me. Yea these cars are rock solid and pretty much bulletproof when done right. But that would mean knowing what was done to it, which you don't. If you can't get a reasonable price out of them then just walk away.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:48 AM   #12
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The Op, TLB is in Ohio and the ZLE is located in Florida(Tampa) so he can’t just go take a test drive and check the car out. Since it was an auction vehicle with mods and possibly no warranty, I would steer clear of it and search for one closer to me and with a drivetrain warranty at least. With time and patience TLB might be able to track the owner down to talk to him and find out the mods done.
Old 05-31-2021, 08:12 AM   #13
Dave777

Drives: 1985 Z28
I would look for a 100% stock ZL1
Dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:24 AM   #14
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
The car is being sold by Discovery Auto Center in Tampa. The place appears to be a used high-end dealership (used Porsche, Audi, Corvettes, etc). We have a similar dealership here in Columbus called the Toy Barn.

Here’s the Auto Trader listing:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

Tags
modded, previous owner, tampa