#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-09-2019, 05:40 PM   #169
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If the whole reason for going to a rear-mid engined configuration is to get past the inherent performance limitations of the front-mid config ... wouldn't it be a bit contradictory to then go and put an inferior transmission into the car?
No.

If a manual transmission mid-engine car is better the manual transmission front engine version of that car then mission accomplished.

Some people think manual transmission cars are more fun. DCT cars are, indeed, faster and way easier to drive but some people don't care.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:20 PM   #170
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Could be a legit leak of the C8 rear end.

Attachment 994775
Not bad but looks too much like the C7 rear. Not gonna judge the whole car based on one pic but I hope the C8 doesn't look mostly like a mid engine C7. Hope they learned their lesson from playing it too safe with the 6th gen Camaro styling. It's going to be a revolutionary car and it needs to have revolutionary exterior styling.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:32 AM   #171
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
If the whole reason for going to a rear-mid engined configuration is to get past the inherent performance limitations of the front-mid config ... wouldn't it be a bit contradictory to then go and put an inferior transmission into the car?
A. Define inferior. I see a DCT as inferior in the "fun department". It is 100% subjective.

B. Not everyone wants to sit there and permit the machine to do all of the work. There are many of us that will never track the thing and simply want to enjoy rowing the gears on back roads. IMHO, that is what makes a pony car or sports car, fun. If I wanted an auto, I'd buy an '86 Caravan and be done with it. It is all personal preference, but with many Corvette faithful already groaning about the mid-engine design, only offering a DCT will alienate more potential buyers.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #172
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
I agree. No stick is a missed opportunity.

Even Porsche is bringing out stick only models.
Porsche's Paddle Shifters as well as most manufacturers work much better & faster than a Manual! BMW's are like butter they work so well.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #173
ron8879

Drives: 2018 Camaro RS
If the corvette is to viewed as an alternative to vehicles with higher end tech, they are eventually going to have to do away with old tech....even with some unhappy. The majority of Corvettes are actually sold with automatics. Paddle shifters, where you can keep both hands on the wheel on machines making this level of hp are the future. We don't use a 3 speed on the tree anymore....tech is always evolving
ron8879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 PM   #174
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
Porsche's Paddle Shifters as well as most manufacturers work much better & faster than a Manual! BMW's are like butter they work so well.
I don't think anybody is denying they are better.

Some of us just think they are not as engaging and therefore not as much fun.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:15 AM   #175
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
I don't think anybody is denying they are better.

Some of us just think they are not as engaging and therefore not as much fun.
Correct. You get it.

"Better", in terms of quicker shifts.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #176

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
An automatic will likely also include start/stop/stop/start "technology"...After all, doesn't Porsche do that too?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:06 AM   #177
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
An automatic will likely also include start/stop/stop/start "technology"...After all, doesn't Porsche do that too?
Imagine a Corvette with that shitty feature ...Zora Arkus-Duntov will be turning over in his grave
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #178
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
An Aventador has start stop..
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #179
KJZ28

Drives: 2018 Buick Regal TourX
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Looks like someone had a cell phone in the plant

And I hope they consider the LT2 for Camaro. The SS @500 HP you'd think would help drive sales.
Looks like they took the pic from afar, zoomed in, then cropped it. Any cell phone pic gets blurry at that point. Just a guess, the guy could be using a flip phone for all I know.
SOLD: 2010 2SS/RS L99-A6 K&N CAI, Speed Engineering Long Tube Headers, Stainless Works hi-flow cats, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back. Tuned by Corvettes of Westchester. 1/LE rear suspension conversion, Bilstein B6 Stuts/shocks.
KJZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:28 PM   #180
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Doubt it. GM seems to be happy with AFM / DFM. Maybe someone on here with a truck that has either can say whether or not any trucks with AFM or DFM also have SS.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:44 PM   #181
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Imagine a Corvette with that shitty feature ...Zora Arkus-Duntov will be turning over in his grave
I kinda like start/stop tech. It saves gas when you're stationary, whys that so bad?

Put it in sport mode to stop it if you don't like it, or some cars can turn it off entirely.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:12 PM   #182
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
I kinda like start/stop tech. It saves gas when you're stationary, whys that so bad?

Put it in sport mode to stop it if you don't like it, or some cars can turn it off entirely.
I don't mind the engine stopping at a light, it's the startup that's annoying. That little bump as it kicks over and the sound of the starter. In the scope of things, it's really not that big of a deal but it's the only thing I don't like about my Malibu. Love everything else about it. To combat that I just let off the brake right before the vehicle stop and press it again.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote