Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 11-06-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
vr46

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
Apex Motor Club - Phx AZ

Hello...Any one belong to Apex Motor Club in Maricopa, AZ, just outside Phoenix?

https://apexmotorclub.com/
vr46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 PM   #2
Rodan

Drives: 2018 ZL1 coupe
I spoke with one of their reps at a trackday at AMP earlier this year. I don't think the facility is open yet.

It wasn't cheap...
Rodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 PM   #3
vr46

Apex is definitely open, I've been on it a few times. Hoping to find other ZL1 owners that may be going there as well.
Old 11-09-2019, 07:31 AM   #4
Rodan

Are you a member? I'm curious if they're planning to eventually rent the facility to NASA/ProAuto and other groups like Inde does...

There are a lot of ZL1s in the area that show up at the track. We ran with ProAuto at Wildhorse East in October and there were 8 ZL1s there... four ZL1s and four ZLEs.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 PM   #5
vr46

I don't think they're allowing track day org's at the moment but you never know what the future holds!

Yes, I did indeed join. Difficult decision since I like a variety of tracks but I live in the Tukee and it's only 20 miles from my house. Cost was a concern but after weighing all options, I did it. If I stayed with ProAuto I'm only able to truly run the Firebird tracks and AMP, otherwise, I'd need a trailer to get to Indie and others. With -3.0 camber front and -2.0 rear, I don't want to drive long distances to get to track...I'm not the biggest fan of Firebird either, been on it many times with my bikes and the tracks just never get updated. I do like the Mondo config though, will try to get there that Sunday. You running that one?

Apex's asphalt is butter smooth and very grippy, track is very wide. Track design is interesting and with the second track opening 2020, it'll make for great configurations up to 4+ miles.

I can go any time I want, so I'm basically there every weekend. Set my PB lap today in fact.

You should try it out, who knows, you may get hooked like I did.
And its fun to run the ZLE against 600LT's, GT3RS's, 488's and all kinds of top crop vehicles!
Old 11-11-2019, 06:50 AM   #6
Rodan

We're running with PCA at Inde next weekend, so we won't be at Pro's Mondo event.

I'm not a big fan of Main, so Mondo doesn't hold much interest anyway. East and West are OK. I also have lots and lots of time there on bikes. We really like AMP, but the ZL1 won't pass sound there, so we just run our Miata track car. My first attempt at a mod to pass sound didn't work, but I'm still tinkering.

If we were closer to a facility like Apex, I guess I might consider it, but we really enjoy traveling to different tracks. We have a trailer and slide in camper for our truck so we can stay at whatever track we visit. If I spent the money on a membership that would really limit our ability to do that. We've been to Laguna Seca and Willow Springs, and next year I'm hoping to make Willow Springs again, and maybe Chuckwalla. Also, an annual Miata event we've attended is moving from Laguna Seca back east next year. We're waiting for the announcement, but it could be Road Atlanta or Barber, and if it is we'll be trying to make that.

It's great to see facilities like Apex being built, though. And there's another one going in near Marana, I think. I can remember when Firebird was all there was!

Our rig at Willow Springs last year, before we bought the ZL1:

Old 11-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #7
vr46

Nice, that is fantastic!

I'm not a fan of Firebird, period. I find Mondo to be doable though because of the config and the fact I live 5 miles from it. Otherwise, I'll avoid that place until they update it.

Been on AMP many times myself on bikes. From when they first opened (2001?) thru close, then again when they re-opened, until my recent bike blew up the DB level. :(

Like you, I love a variety and been to Laguna Seca and Miller Motorsports several times and ridden hundreds of laps around Chuckwalla. Indie once, very technical, fun.

That's great that you have the set up to trailer to/from with both cars. I have a small trailer for the bike but didn't want to get into that with the car at this point. Hence Apex.

Few pics below from the bike at Laguna and Chuck and the ZL1 at Apex. (Had it for about 5 weeks now. Absolutely love it! The Euro supercar guys are blown away on how well it laps. Haha)
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
vr46

Meant to add this as well... Video of ZL1 from this weekend at Apex. Still trying to figure out the best way around!

https://youtu.be/W2byW6_LyLQ

Last edited by vr46; 11-11-2019 at 08:03 PM.