Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
ChipperG

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Check your bolts!!!

My 2016 SS 1SS left me stranded!! The dealer replaced my diff a few weeks ago and all of my axle flange bolts came out or sheared off!! Make sure you guys check these at regular intervals. They reused them and did not use locktite on them so that is an issue but checking the torque on the bolts is a good idea.
ChipperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Whis

Drives: 2016 2SS Hyper Blue
Why are dealerships so consistently terrible?
Whis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:45 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Because what choice do you have for most warranty / vehicle specific work? Dealerships make a _MASSIVE_ amount of their profit from the service department. OEM's actively try to lobby for legislation and vehicle design to enforce that dependency on the dealership.

Can you say guaranteed money? Sucks for customers more than it benefits but they put up with not screaming for change because they see it as free (even though nothing is free).
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
TSloper

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Most techs do not read the repair procedures. Nor do most seem to take the time to grab the torque wrench when called for. ASE certification apparently means squat given the number of stupid dealer mistakes we see repeatedly on this board.
TSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
BFella

Drives: 16' Supercharged 1SS
Man, something REALLY needs to happen with dealerships, they are horribly awful.
BFella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
Hypertrophy

Drives: truck
I can't imagine there isn't a single member here that works at a GM dealership. It would be encouraging to hear from an actual GM mechanic that not every dealership allows half-@$$ed work to go out the door. If so please chime in now and restore our confidence in GM dealerships...Anybody?

Last edited by Hypertrophy; 05-24-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Hypertrophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #7
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
Guess my dealer is a good one. Went in for an oil change today at 1,400 miles (free) and they let me in the work bay to check the toe links for the bad number and they used this forum to check the oil pan recall too! Nice guys! Oh, and the service manager said " good thinking on the catch can so early"! Said no way would they void my warranty for that mod! Wow!
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:59 PM   #8
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Man that sucks OP. It does remind me of a story a few years back though. Had a 2004 blue R6 and it was time for a new back tire (had lots of wires showing). Long story short something came up and I let him finish putting the tire on while I took care of some stuff. I knew he had done it before, but like an idiot I didn't check it like I should have and we just took off down the road. Was riding some wheelies around the 110+mph mark showing off like idiots that we were. .(In Mexicoish) And noticed on the last wheelie the bike shifted hard to the right.. real hard. Pulled over on the road to check and sure enough the axle bolt or whatever it is called was gone. Guess he didn't tighten it enough or at all. So not only dealers make mistakes anyone can. But that also reminds me of two different instances when two different motorcycle shops jacked up two different bikes on their "first service".

The same blue R6 they didn't put the wiring harness back in spot and it came loose and the fan began cutting away. Thought it was weird when I got to my girls house killed the bike hopped off started to walk inside and it just cranked back up....and the horn started going.

The second time was my cruiser they didn't set the spark plugs in right or something didn't get half a mile down the road. Thing was backfiring on accel and constantly, never going to that shop again.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:30 PM   #9
Midnight Rat

Drives: SS 1LE
It's not your dealer you have to worry about its GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalphoenix View Post
Guess my dealer is a good one. Went in for an oil change today at 1,400 miles (free) and they let me in the work bay to check the toe links for the bad number and they used this forum to check the oil pan recall too! Nice guys! Oh, and the service manager said " good thinking on the catch can so early"! Said no way would they void my warranty for that mod! Wow!
Midnight Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
now lets see if they deny responsibility.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #11
Sledgehammer70
Lethal Camaro

Drives: 16 2SS, 71 Std, Suburban RTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipperG View Post
My 2016 SS 1SS left me stranded!! The dealer replaced my diff a few weeks ago and all of my axle flange bolts came out or sheared off!! Make sure you guys check these at regular intervals. They reused them and did not use locktite on them so that is an issue but checking the torque on the bolts is a good idea.
What a joke. I hope your dealership is not only fixing the issue but giving you something for your troubles.
Sledgehammer70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
Those bolts should not move, even without locktite.
My guess is that they threaded them in by hand and then it was lunchtime or the shop monkey had a seziure.

I've pulled axles from my Jeep literally dozens of times and have never found a loose bolt after simply tightening them properly in the first place.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I had a similar issue years ago in my CTS. The synchros in the 6 speed crapped out and it would pop out of 3rd gear on me. They fixed it under warranty and replaced the whole trans. Well when they did they didn't tighten down the bolts on the dif and as I was driving to my fathers house something sounded odd and when I shifted I herd a loud bang. Basically the gears were slowly separating with each shift. I limped it to my fathers and hit the old Onstar button. Last time I went to that dealer for anything.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
2016 1ss

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypertrophy View Post
I can't imagine there isn't a single member here that works at a GM dealership. It would be encouraging to hear from an actual GM mechanic that not every dealership allows half-@$$ed work to go out the door. If so please chime in now and restore our confidence in GM dealerships...Anybody?
Used to work at a GM dealership....it's about a 30/70 split of good techs and bad techs unfortunately. But the ones who do warranty work must be warranty certified up to various levels like heavy line, light line and trim techs.
2016 1ss is offline   Reply With Quote