Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
510SS

Drives: 2010 1SS Silver Ice Metallic
Roto-fab or CAI

Im going to purchase a cold air intake but I want to know the pros and cons for a Roto-fab and a CAI system. Let me know what you guys think.
510SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Im pondering the same question. From what I see besides the initial price youve also got to buy separate washer bottles and air scoops for the CAI.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
510SS

I did not know you had to relocate the washer bottle for the CAI... that sucks.
Old 09-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
Just looked up CAI on youtube, you Dont need any other relocating items. Its a direct replacement bolt on. Looks to be about a 20 minute deal. The washer jar stays where its at. Im going to shop for and buy one this week.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
damiiaaannn

Drives: Range Rover Supercharged, TSX
Heres the power increase of each.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0
Old 09-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
shaggy1
The thin blue line

Drives: 2012, 2SS/RS,LS3,IOM/Beige
The CAI ind. had the best HP increase of any of the CAI's that were tested awhile back by Janetty. The CAI ind. is simple to install and there is no need to move anything. To me the best thing about the one from CAI Ind.,.... not only does it look great,.... it performs even better.
shaggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
You won't get any significant gains from a cai. I have a LS3 with the CAI Inc and had it checked on the dyno yesterday. Basically netted me about 4 RWHP. I completely removed my wiper bottle so it can pull maximum air from the bottom. Bill from CAI guaranteed that I would get 15 HP using their cai. I stated the question specifically to him based on statements he made about the gains from their intake. Yeah, not so much.

Another guy from my club with an SS and LS3, roto-fab, and HF cats pulled 20 RWHP more than me. He had Solo cats and those are supposed to net you about 20 HP. So based on that, I'd say the Roto-fab came in about the same as the CAI intake.

IMO, you want a bigger bang for your buck, replace the cats. About the only noticeable benefit is a crisper throttle response with the intake. But for $350 to $400, cats give you more HP gain. Regarding which cai, I prefer the CAI Inc intake over the Roto-fab. I like the idea of having a sealed top, not using my hood to seal the top of the air box. But both are well made.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
RedRocketSS
BSHU

Drives: 2011 Red Jewel SS
CAI
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 AM   #9
510SS

Seems like more people have the CAI than the roto fab or the roto fab owners just don't want to chime in.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:03 AM   #10
gelboy1015

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, MKIII Supras
+1 for CAI. Does not require relocation of the washer bottle, unless you install the ADM or Apex scoop which comes with the new bottle. I made 384 HP/378 TQ with just the CAI intake on my LS3 Camaro.
gelboy1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
dutchnrican
brevard

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6.
i also recommend CAI. like someone else said, it had good numbers compared to the rest of the CAI's tested, but also, IMO it looks the best!!!

i installed one on my brand new 2012 SS recently. it was the first thing I did. it's really simple to install, it just replaces the old air-box. i had a local chevy dealer install it for me and it only took about 20 mins. the guy that installed it at chevy said that out of all the other one's he's installed, this was by far the best one. he really liked the sealed air box system.

very happy with my CAI, inc. intake

Old 09-26-2011, 08:21 AM   #12
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510SS View Post
Im going to purchase a cold air intake but I want to know the pros and cons for a Roto-fab and a CAI system. Let me know what you guys think.
I wouldn't say either have any cons. Both are built well, look awesome and make power.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510SS View Post
Here is a little bit about us:

Cold Air Inductions, Inc. intake systems benefits:

: Tig welded aluminum air box (high luster finish reflects radiant heat)

: Insulated air box (this adding another layer of thermal (convection) protection)

: Aluminum lid with stainless steel ¼ turn fasteners (fast filter removal)

: Viewing window for fast easy filter inspection.

: High Luster ceramic coated intake tube (coated inside and out, yet another layer of thermal protection)

: Smooth bore (88.9 mm) intake tube construction (this minimizes bends and restrictions within the system)

: 8” V-stack air filter with built in velocity stack (helps reduce turbulence for truer MAF reading)

: 8 layer air filter (maximizing filtration for prolonged engine life

: LIFETIME WARRANTY

We have sold thousands of intakes, have thousands of happy customers, and incorporate design features that make our system a true Cold Air Intake. We see great #’s on the Dyno as well as the track, and can keep our intake temps within 2 degrees of ambient air due to our design features.

Check out these links as well:

Testimonials Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/testimonials

3D Filter Video - http://www.coldairinductions.com/air-filters/filters-in-action/

Let me know if you have any questions, I would be happy to help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichGreene View Post
Im pondering the same question. From what I see besides the initial price youve also got to buy separate washer bottles and air scoops for the CAI.
NOT CORRECT. Our system is a bolt on unit that requires no additional modifications, no relocating of anything and no tune. Let me know if you have any questions!!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #14
Roto-fab 1

Drives: 16 Camaro SS w/ Roto-fab CAI
Here is a link to more info as well as our latest testing results.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...oto-fab+closer

Our intake is chosen by many of the top tuners in the country and abroad. These are reputable companies which have done their own testing and purchase from us based on their findings. These companies don't post comments on this board or elsewhere about Roto-fab products in particular. However, if you look at the high HP cars out there, you will notice our intake on many of them.
I would agree CAI Inc owners are more vocal on this forum and/or there are more CAI owners on this forum. They make a good intake-it would be nice if we had the only quality intake out there, but we all know that's not the case. At the same time, I know we have thousands of Camaro intakes out in the field, we ship them every day and feedback on our system continues to be very good. We offer a very high quality intake which comes standard with a high gloss powder coat finish on the air box, quality/high gloss silicone hoses that will not dry rot, stainless steel hose clamps and an American made filter. Our system is designed to install easily with no mods to your vehicle, look good and perform great. It will make your Camaro sound like a Camaro too!
In addition, you can get a variety of options including:
polished stainless steel inlet elbow
Carbon fiber finish on the inlet elbow and/or MAF housing
Air box in any color you choose
dry or oil filter
optional red or yellow hose couplings

We will take the time to answer your questions-both before and after the sale. We take pride in our products and in our customer service. If you want to combine looks with performance, you can add our engine covers, plenum cover, radiator cover, billet oil cap and fuse relay cover to really make your engine compartment stand out. We will customize to your tastes!

[IMG]tp://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt46/roto-fab1/Camaroscengcovers.jpg?t=1285785185[/IMG]

Roto-fab 1 is offline   Reply With Quote