Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #15
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Worst thing for a car is the flipping sales people haha. An engine should never be free revved when cold. Free revving warm isn't even that wise but when its done cold = BAD NEWS!! I wish we knew what caused most failures. I'm convinced it's user error as many times as it is build quality. I have watched customers pull out of here after having just been very well informed on how to drive the car and not to drive hard until temps are up, pull out and lay a patch all the way down my street.

All the best,

Jared Royce
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:02 PM   #16
ussj4brolli

Drives: 2x 94:Z28s - 2x95:Z28s - 1x16:1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFLeX135 View Post
My A8 transmission was bad around at least 210 miles and replaced on mine but engine seems fine. I do have my suspicions that someone messed it up on the drive over from the other dealer.
CEL or what happened?
ussj4brolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #17
Lethalphoenix

Drives: 2013 SS// 2016 SS
Maybe they will mess up in your favor this time and put in a zl1 engine!!
Lethalphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #18
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalphoenix View Post
Maybe they will mess up in your favor this time and put in a zl1 engine!!
fingers crossed for ya, buddy!
Old 05-24-2016, 01:44 AM   #19
Track_OK

Drives: 2016 1SS M6 Summit White
Alright guys so quick update!

I'll be running on day 22 at the dealership tomorrow and I got a call today that the new engine is in and they are starting final checklist. I've had the loaner soccer mom traverse longer than I even had my actual car smh.

I've been in contact with GM and I just got the process started on a possible repurchase of the vehicle since I'm in California I'm coming awfully close to the 30 day lemon law.

When this all started GM did offer to pay my first car payment for me but at this point I just want to start new from a camaro ss that has under 10 miles on the Odo.

Any recommendations as far as talking points I should bring up with GM if I happen to get my car back just before the 30 day mark? Anything would help if someone else has gone through something similar it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help thus far
Track_OK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:50 AM   #20
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Track_OK View Post

Any recommendations as far as talking points I should bring up with GM if I happen to get my car back just before the 30 day mark? )
If you get the car back before the 30 days and they've completed their warranty obligations, methinks you have no case here whatsoever.
Warranty has done exactly what it's supposed to do here. You've been made whole.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:06 AM   #21
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
Quote:

I'll be running on day 22 at the dealership tomorrow and I got a call today that the new engine is in and they are starting final checklist. I've had the loaner soccer mom traverse longer than I even had my actual car smh.

I've been in contact with GM and I just got the process started on a possible repurchase of the vehicle since I'm in California I'm coming awfully close to the 30 day lemon law.

When this all started GM did offer to pay my first car payment for me but at this point I just want to start new from a camaro ss that has under 10 miles on the Odo.

Any recommendations as far as talking points I should bring up with GM if I happen to get my car back just before the 30 day mark? Anything would help if someone else has gone through something similar it would be much appreciated.

Any updates?

Also who's the dealer?
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #22
Track_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modshack View Post
If you get the car back before the 30 days and they've completed their warranty obligations, methinks you have no case here whatsoever.
Warranty has done exactly what it's supposed to do here. You've been made whole.
In understand that I've been made whole in the sense that I get my car back "soon". What is disconcerting though is that I've used up so many of those 30 days. And in California its a total of 30 days over the period of 18 months or 18,000 miles.

I'm pretty sure I can get to those 30 days no problem now.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:00 PM   #23
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Quote:
In understand that I've been made whole in the sense that I get my car back "soon". What is disconcerting though is that I've used up so many of those 30 days. And in California its a total of 30 days over the period of 18 months or 18,000 miles.

I'm pretty sure I can get to those 30 days no problem now.
Maybe, but what's the point? If the car is returned to you "as New". If your car is good in every other respect I don't see why you'd want to go this route..The next one may be worse..Buyer's remorse? Entitlement? Negotiate for an extended Bumper to bumper or other re-numeration and move on..

In California, a vehicle is presumed to be a “lemon" by the Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act if, within 18 months of the vehicle's delivery to the buyer (or 18,000 miles on the odometer):
2 attempts or more have been made by the manufacturer to repair a warranty problem that could result in death or serious injury.
The manufacturer has attempted to repair the same warranty problem at least 4 times.
The car has been out of service for 30 days or more for repair to warranty problems.
Problems to the vehicle are not the result of abuse by the owner.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:11 PM   #24
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Quote:

Well, first, sorry for your misfortune, I feel bad for you. It has to really be frustrating to buy a great, brand new car, and then not be able to enjoy it right away.

I guess my first question is, do you like the car? I ask this, because if you do, then why not just let them put this brand new engine, with 0 miles on it in, let them make a payment for you, and get on with enjoying the car?

I completely understand wanting a 'new' car with less than 10 miles. But hey, the reality is this, when you purchased this car, you knew it had 275 miles on it. Not trying to be jerk, just stating the fact. You can certainly push for a new car, which going to be a process that will take some time, again leaving you without a car for months on end. Not to mention that the 'new' car may or may not come with some gremlins of it's own.

Of course there is the buy back option. I guess if, at this point, you don't really want the Camaro, this might be the way to go. However, this too is going to take time and aggravation, ultimately leading you back into the whole shopping process all over again.

If it were me, and I'm just speaking from my own perspective, I would let them do their job, and in the meantime build a positive relationship with the service manager and dealership management. That way, if something else should crop up, they will be more likely to fight in your corner for you. An engine replacement under warranty is not going to devalue the car, and you might actually wind up better than you started, in terms of quality and reliability. While it's there, ask them to check TSB items, and things like the rear differential fluid, exhaust, and any ecu updates. It just seems you'll be enjoying your car a lot sooner this way, and have nothing to lose by doing so. JMHO
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 01:01 PM   #25
Track_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
Well, first, sorry for your misfortune, I feel bad for you. It has to really be frustrating to buy a great, brand new car, and then not be able to enjoy it right away.

I guess my first question is, do you like the car? I ask this, because if you do, then why not just let them put this brand new engine, with 0 miles on it in, let them make a payment for you, and get on with enjoying the car?

I completely understand wanting a 'new' car with less than 10 miles. But hey, the reality is this, when you purchased this car, you knew it had 275 miles on it. Not trying to be jerk, just stating the fact. You can certainly push for a new car, which going to be a process that will take some time, again leaving you without a car for months on end. Not to mention that the 'new' car may or may not come with some gremlins of it's own.

Of course there is the buy back option. I guess if, at this point, you don't really want the Camaro, this might be the way to go. However, this too is going to take time and aggravation, ultimately leading you back into the whole shopping process all over again.

If it were me, and I'm just speaking from my own perspective, I would let them do their job, and in the meantime build a positive relationship with the service manager and dealership management. That way, if something else should crop up, they will be more likely to fight in your corner for you. An engine replacement under warranty is not going to devalue the car, and you might actually wind up better than you started, in terms of quality and reliability. While it's there, ask them to check TSB items, and things like the rear differential fluid, exhaust, and any ecu updates. It just seems you'll be enjoying your car a lot sooner this way, and have nothing to lose by doing so. JMHO

You bring up some really good points. I DO love this car by the way. At this point I just would really like to start fresh with a whole new car. Not just because i had a bad experience and i want GM to pay for that but more from the aspect that my car was just completely torn down to replace the engine, the service advisor even told me the tech had never worked on this new model yet and it literally took them WEEKS to swap an engine at a CHEVY dealership.

Now I know these guys are certified and whatnot but I was back there and I looked at what they did to my poor car. The workstation was messy, parts were everywhere, calipers were hanging on brake lines(they tried to use bungie cord to hold them up), there was obvious marks all over the subframe where he had to get in there with a mallet or hammer, they left my windows down for 3 weeks. crap like that

Its not just 1 thing that got me to the point where i want a new camaro, its an accumulation of small things (and large).

I don't know maybe I should just suck it up and walk away. I mean hell ill have a bad ass 455hp monster back in my garage soon, why should I even be complaining???
Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM   #26
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Your concerns are valid.

The first concern in any major tear down like this is what they did wrong putting it back together. The second is the long term gremlins that may appear.

On top of the obvious mechanical concerns, there will be cosmetic problems from this extensive repair as well.

When you buy a new car, you go in never expecting to have to think about these things. After all, you just bought a new car so what could possibly go wrong?

Unfortunately, the law is the law. 29.75 days is not 30. Now, GM may bestow mercy on you but aside from that, you may have to accept the car that they have repaired.

Now, if you get the car home and it's a literal mess, you very well have all that you need to get the buy back done. This could be what GM is looking to avoid. You'll know for sure if they offer you a buy back before it gets to that point.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:12 PM   #27
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by newb View Post
I would be trying to work with GM and the dealer on a new car. You now have a "new" car with its second engine. No longer numbers matching and it should show on the Car Fax report as well. I would want a pristine new car and none of the diminished value that comes from an engine swap at 670 miles. But that's just me.

You can ask and it will never happen, ever. This is why the warranty is in place and the who car is covered for 3y/36k miles.

And to be honest the prior miles have no bearing on a rod bearing going out. Could have been a fluke, I don't baby my cars at all. I drive them from day 1 the way I plan on driving them to the last day I own them.
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:57 AM   #28
meyouand987.2

Drives: 2011 Cayman R 2017 1LE
LOL sounds like you got a Backeddy BCA test car! Just curious where did you buy it from? I have been with him to Laguna at least 10 times running "new" cars for 10-20 laps. One of my neighbors bought a gt350 (hi Greg!) that backeddy "tested" at the track for an hour straight. Personally, I like the balls to the wall break in procedure.
meyouand987.2 is offline   Reply With Quote