Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-15-2024, 07:42 PM   #57
roostere4

Drives: 1987 IROC, 2020 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buellrider View Post
Some great ideas in this thread. I have some questions…The vehicle will only allow eight RKE transmitters to be programmed to the vehicle. I am curious if the thieves process also overrides this? Can they make infinite keys or would they be stopped if the actual owner maxed out the RKE transmitters at 8?
If they are using some of the tools and methods I think they are, having 8 paired keys won't stop them. Though it might slow them down slightly, again depending on which methods they are using.

That is because they most likely have the ability to tell the vehicle that all existing keys are lost and that they need a new one programmed. Similar to the procedure outlined in the owner's manual.
roostere4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 10:48 PM   #58
haggler

Drives: '23 2SS RSblue 6MT, sold '19 ND2
I just did this today. I used the extension and tucked the OEM port away with a zip tie. There was a good spot to do it. It works well powering the device but coms fail. If they tried using it to steal my car there is no way they would get down on their knees to investigate. Seems like cheap insurance.

5-6-22:1100,
7-19-22: 3000,
8-3-22: TPW 8/15/22,
10-4-22: ETA 10/13/2022
10-15-22 6000
haggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 05:24 PM   #59
The Maverick
Somewhere in the Kalahari

Drives: 2021/18 (de-fresh) 3LT RS
Was watching a vent-gauge install video and thought a portion of it might be of interest to OBD relocation efforts. Specifically the part from about 1:15 to 1:50 of this video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rYtk-7ZP-iw

This avenue of access seems worthy of consideration in deciding how and where to relocate the factory wiring...
The Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 10:35 PM   #60
ZLElvira
Waiting 4 A Point By!

Drives: 2020 ZLE, C8 Z06-Z07 2LT Carbon
Angry

Every single one of these ideas is now MOOT...!!!

I literally watched a Police Officer demonstrate this past weekend at Corvette Expo in Pigeon Forge, on my 2020 ZLE how he used my VIN to gain access using my cellphone to clone the remote, sit in my seat, press the brake and start the car within 3 minutes.

He said there is little they can do as the software is an open-source app that was supposed to be for Law-Enforcement only and first responders to get babies/children left in cars by neglectful parents... and he said the only real way to stop them is to simply block the VIN.

Old 03-19-2024, 11:56 PM   #61
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLElvira View Post

I literally watched a Police Officer demonstrate this past weekend at Corvette Expo in Pigeon Forge, on my 2020 ZLE how he used my VIN to gain access using my cellphone to clone the remote, sit in my seat, press the brake and start the car within 3 minutes.

He said there is little they can do as the software is an open-source app that was supposed to be for Law-Enforcement only and first responders to get babies/children left in cars by neglectful parents... and he said the only real way to stop them is to simply block the VIN.

So I gather that works on any car?
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:52 AM   #62
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
Quote:

Well that is a real bummer.

I don't think all hope is lost. I would assume things like vehicle based anti-theft type devices will still work as it interrupts the cars ability to start even if you have a functional key fob. Things like AGLA or Ravelco should still work or even the remote operated relays or battery kill switches. Things that are intergrated between the fob/start button and the vehicles actual operating systems should still work.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 11:50 AM   #63
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:

Not sure why a LEO would need to start a car. In the situations you mention all they need to do is break a window (like everyone else . . .)
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:22 PM   #64
speedyink1

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS 1LE 6MT
He used the cell phone.. How does this work? Is this because you use the Chevy App? Just curious how the cell phone plays into this..
speedyink1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:28 PM   #65
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Give me a break. the software is an open-source app ? WTF. GM needs to fix this, its BS. I got AOL asking for two-step verification just for E Mail. What the heck is wrong with them ?
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 07:45 PM   #66
L2SS455

Drives: VOM 2022 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedyink1 View Post
He used the cell phone.. How does this work? Is this because you use the Chevy App? Just curious how the cell phone plays into this..
How Phone-as-Key, Remote Start Apps Can Make Your Car Easier to Steal
https://www.motortrend.com/news/phon...theft-hackers/
L2SS455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM   #67
Matt1LE

Drives: 2020 3LT Camaro 3.6L 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2SS455 View Post
How Phone-as-Key, Remote Start Apps Can Make Your Car Easier to Steal
https://www.motortrend.com/news/phon...theft-hackers/

Well, at least manuals don't have remote start. Id say cover your Vin number from inside the car. However, not too sure how easy it is to clone them with the plate number. They'd have to go through the DMV.

I guess the harder you make it for them to steal, hopefully they'd move on.
Matt1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:58 PM   #68
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
I removed my thoughts for the safety of all of our prize possessions

Last edited by IMCWORTH; 03-21-2024 at 11:18 PM.
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 08:47 PM   #69
aBee150
@NHTFALL

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE

Question, so the diagram shows 13 and 14 as both white but they do different things. If these were mixed up what will happen? Will data be read wrong or are they interchangeable, its weird they'd make both the same color.

I cut out my OBD-2 and wired it to an 8PIN connector then had my 8PIN connector match the new OBD-2 I bought so I can disconnect it and connect it easily when doing state-inspection. My only concern is if the two whites ever got mixed up, what would happen.
Old 03-23-2024, 12:45 AM   #70
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by aBee150 View Post

Question, so the diagram shows 13 and 14 as both white but they do different things. If these were mixed up what will happen? Will data be read wrong or are they interchangeable, its weird they'd make both the same color.

I cut out my OBD-2 and wired it to an 8PIN connector then had my 8PIN connector match the new OBD-2 I bought so I can disconnect it and connect it easily when doing state-inspection. My only concern is if the two whites ever got mixed up, what would happen.
They are both negatives so I'm guessing they are interchangeable...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote