Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Rich J

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Manual
Tracking an SS 1LE vs a non-1LE Z1

I was all set to upgrade from my V6 1LE to an SS 1LE, but then while perusing the lot on Sunday before they opened, the ZL1s caught my eye. I noticed the larger brakes, the extra room in the front fenders for wider tires and the cool looking hood. The ZL1 is a lot more, but not ridiculously more. It’s not like the gap in price between a base 911 and a 911 Turbo, for example.

Can anyone compare how the SS 1LE compares to a ZL1 non-1LE on track in the curves and through quick transitions? Is it significantly more ponderous than the SS? Does it run hotter or about the same as an SS on track?

I am very tempted by the ZL1 1LE, but my impression is that it would be overly bumpy on the rough highways I commute on. Wish I could ride in one to see. If anyone lives in the Washington DC general area and would take me for a quick ride on regular roads, I’d love to feel the ride quality first hand.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Rich

ps, if anyone wants a pristine red hot V6 1LE with Recaros, PM me!

Last edited by Rich J; 06-22-2018 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
Rich J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 07:34 AM   #2
brap999

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Where in NoVa are you? I'm in Alexandria, I have a ZL1-1LE with barely 900 miles. Me and my buddies usually get together for car related stuff on weekends, and occasional weeknights. Yesterday we met up at Tysons Corner and grabbed lunch, the cars in our crew include anything from R8, GTR, ZL1, Mustangs, Civic Type-R, even a Datsun 240z

The ZL1-1LE is stiff, it doesn't bother me, but I have a history of cars with rough suspensions. As a daily driver it might be too much. You know how the roads are around here, it can be rough at times. Occasionally I've hit bumps that made me feel like i was launched from my seat.

If you'd like to meet up with us let me know, I'll gladly let you ride in the 1LE if you want to get a feel for the suspension
1998 Dodge Viper GTS
1972 Pontiac GTO
1963 Chevy C10 short bed, T5, 350, lowered
brap999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
Pollock
LT4 M6

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
If its a back up track car and daily driver first, I would go for comfort.

In fact if it was a daily driver I would not even pick a Camaro. lol.
Pollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #4
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
I am daily driving my ZL1 1LE and drive on rough roads. Car is perfect! Only thing I’d recommend if you went 1LE route is a spare set of tires and rims for street. The track tires won’t last long on the street and frankly you can’t heat them up enough to be great there anyway.
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
I am daily driving my ZL1 1LE and drive on rough roads. Car is perfect! Only thing I’d recommend if you went 1LE route is a spare set of tires and rims for street. The track tires won’t last long on the street and frankly you can’t heat them up enough to be great there anyway.
The OE R3’s don’t last long on track either. Everyone I know personally with a ZL1 1LE is done with the OE R3’s, going different route on tires from here on. PSC2’s, NT01’s, etc.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provoste View Post
The OE R3’s don’t last long on track either. Everyone I know personally with a ZL1 1LE is done with the OE R3’s, going different route on tires from here on. PSC2’s, NT01’s, etc.
Agreed, but even with any of those I’d want to run a street set and a track set.

What a car!
Old 05-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Quote:
Agreed, but even with any of those I’d want to run a street set and a track set.

What a car!
For sure, its a monster!
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #8
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Cant comment on SS 1LE vs ZL1 track performance first hand, except for the following data points:

1. ZL1 is a much faster car on a track having posted some uber lap times at various venues incl the Ring.

2. During one of the MT tests Randy Pobst said "this car makes me a better driver". Thats pretty big in my book.

3. Because of MRC it can be used as a relatively "comfy" dd presumably with no degradation in ride quality vs the SS 1LE.

4. When i am ready to trade in 2 yrs i will defo consider it very seriously as price to performance seems as good a deal as the SS 1LE just in a higher performance category.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #9
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
As far as driving the ZL-1 1LE on rough roads: It’s like the guy that claims they drive a rwd sports car on racing tires all winter long in Michigan or the friend who heard from a friend of someone’s cousin that killed a bear with a .22LR.

With the SS 1LE and some pretty rough roads, I have to call BS.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:41 AM   #10
samwisemueller

Drives: 2015 Z06, 2017 1LE (possibly)
I no longer have my SS 1LE, but it was an incredible machine. Lots of performance for the money. The ZL1 in non 1LE form might leave you wanting for more. My vote is that you buy an SS 1LE and then you buy my 18" BC Forged wheels with Hoosier R7s Not that I'm biased or anything...
Old 05-21-2018, 10:53 AM   #11
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
As far as driving the ZL-1 1LE on rough roads: It’s like the guy that claims they drive a rwd sports car on racing tires all winter long in Michigan or the friend who heard from a friend of someone’s cousin that killed a bear with a .22LR.

With the SS 1LE and some pretty rough roads, I have to call BS.
Drove my SS 1LE on those same roads daily for a year. That was super comfy. Not really sure why you call BS, but uhhh ok then.

Rough roads are not optional in my area since the mega expansion and growth caused significant road construction on my commute for the past few years. I also own many 22’s, but opt for the magnum slug when I can go overboard

The ZL1 1LE is a 3” magnum slug
Old 05-21-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwisemueller View Post
I no longer have my SS 1LE, but it was an incredible machine. Lots of performance for the money. The ZL1 in non 1LE form might leave you wanting for more. My vote is that you buy an SS 1LE and then you buy my 18" BC Forged wheels with Hoosier R7s Not that I'm biased or anything...
I gotta ask: more of what?

The car has tons more power and better brakes while still retaining excellent dual purpose suspension. All big pluses imo. And the price of the 1LE variant heads further north by another significant step. Great for a dedicated track car but i am not so sure a good option as a true dual purpose car. While ANY car can be dd as long as it is legal, overly stiff suspension does get "old" in a hurry. Been there done it and got a trailer (with my past car).
Old 05-21-2018, 11:25 AM   #13
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
There is some comparos on here between driving a SS 1LE and a ZL1. Just need to find them.

As I recall, the summary I got was that, although both have basically the same suspension, the SS 1LE felt way more composed and exciting to drive on track. The ZL1 felt less controlled.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
There is some comparos on here between driving a SS 1LE and a ZL1. Just need to find them.

As I recall, the summary I got was that, although both have basically the same suspension, the SS 1LE felt way more composed and exciting to drive on track. The ZL1 felt less controlled.
Best source is Randy Pobst review when MT ran ZL1 vs GT350R comparo. Dont recall Randy uttering a single bad word about ZL1 handling...rather the opposite from what i recall.

Another good one is the ZL1 timed run at the Ring. Few cars look this composed there imo. Hardly any corrections from the driver. Looked like a very predictable and easy to drive ride imo.