Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #15
rap47

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 50th
I installed the latest version from Range about two weeks ago. They said this version will not throw codes and so far it has not. So far I really like it.
rap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #16
Driski

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
I would love to loose the AFM (4 cylinder mode bugs the crap out of me) without loosing the Warrantee. I will wait a while longer, car is on ice for the winter, and check back in the spring.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #17
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
I stopped using mine, exchanged mine through Range for one with the newest FW, still throws CELs. I am used to the change between 4 and 8, I am OK with it. The damn A8 is the issue and drives me crazy some days and in certain situations.
If you don't mind, what specifically drives you crazy about the A8?
Old 12-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #18
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
If you don't mind, what specifically drives you crazy about the A8?
Bunch of things...driving at low speeds in full auto mode, punch the gas and downshifts are usually rough, shifting from park to drive after sitting for a while is very rough, jerks the car, especially when in reverse then putting into drive, and a lot of time shifts are not smooth and always feels lost. The transmission was basically fully rebuilt back in May, was a lot worse before than. Now when I am in manual mode with the shifter or paddles or when I punch it in auto from a stand still and it goes into competitve mode, RPMs stay in the 3 - 4 k range, it is a blast and drives awesome. Think it is a combo of software programming and hardware.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #19
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driski View Post
I would love to loose the AFM (4 cylinder mode bugs the crap out of me) without loosing the Warrantee. I will wait a while longer, car is on ice for the winter, and check back in the spring.
The few AFM disablers I have read up on plug into the OBD and do nothing to the ECM (engine computer) or TCM (tranny computer) software settings/tune. As far as I know of it leaves absolutely no footprint....just unplug it prior to going in for any warranty work.

That's one of the reasons I am asking about it because I have only 11k on my SS.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rap47 View Post
I installed the latest version from Range about two weeks ago. They said this version will not throw codes and so far it has not. So far I really like it.

That's good to hear, if you do end up throwing a code or have some unexplained electronic issue(s), let us know. I'd really like to eliminate AFM without voiding my warrantee.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by rap47 View Post

Just keep in mind that if you have it plugged in more than 4 or 5 days, it will drain the battery. You need to get the accessory Obd extension for it and unplug the range from there, and not wear down your OBD Junction.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #22
wingchunsifu

Drives: 2017 2SS A8, 2018 Macan GTS
Mine is disabled with the Diablo tuner through my "Diab Lew" custom tune. However the tuner itself can disable it and the computer won't throw a code. Yes, Yes the tune can void your warrantee.

I've been lucky so far in that the dealer hasn't looked for the "re-flash". Without the AFM the car runs soooo much better although gas milage is shitty. But that may also be due to my heavy foot. Tuning your vehicle is like taking performance enhancing pharma. Once you know and feel what it's like to be superman you never want to go back to being a mere mortal. It's like signinig a pact with the devil.

Seriously though its strange how the factory settings are so tame and mild yet still allowing much leeway for modification. A stock SS is rolling around asleep with so much untapped potential under the hood.
wingchunsifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 07:46 AM   #23
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Just keep in mind that if you have it plugged in more than 4 or 5 days, it will drain the battery. You need to get the accessory Obd extension for it and unplug the range from there, and not wear down your OBD Junction.
If it's a daily driver no biggie....but if it's a garage queen like mine....that OBD extension is a good idea.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:41 AM   #24
RandRZL1

Drives: 2018 ZL1
So slightly off topic, but related, what happens when you remove the “afm” valves in the exhaust? This must be Gen6 specific as I knew nothing of it in the Gen5’s.
RandRZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 01:40 PM   #25
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
Bunch of things...driving at low speeds in full auto mode, punch the gas and downshifts are usually rough, shifting from park to drive after sitting for a while is very rough, jerks the car, especially when in reverse then putting into drive, and a lot of time shifts are not smooth and always feels lost. The transmission was basically fully rebuilt back in May, was a lot worse before than. Now when I am in manual mode with the shifter or paddles or when I punch it in auto from a stand still and it goes into competitve mode, RPMs stay in the 3 - 4 k range, it is a blast and drives awesome. Think it is a combo of software programming and hardware.
Thanks for the input. What gets me is it seems to be in 7th gear at around 40 - 45 miles per hour - it dogs. Then not only does it need to downshift when I punch it, t needs to switch back to 8 cylinder. So, as we all know, the only way to get by this is to drive it in manual mode or drive aggressively all the time (speeding ticket waiting to happen). The more I hear about the AFM disabler working, the closer I get t buying it.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:44 PM   #26
Driski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
That's good to hear, if you do end up throwing a code or have some unexplained electronic issue(s), let us know. I'd really like to eliminate AFM without voiding my warrantee.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:08 AM   #27
1fujifilm

Drives: 2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
Anyone using an AFM (active fuel management) disabler that hooks up to the OBD port?

Pros....Cons?
FYI; Hypertech makes a tuner for the 2016 SS Camaro that disables the AFM plus other things such as shift points and extra HP with Premium gas. I have used these many times for new Chev Silverados that I have purchased over the years and I NEVER have a problem with battery decrease or codes.
Unfortunately, the yare still making one for the 2017 and 2018 SS Camaros in which I am now waiting for.

Bear
1fujifilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:57 AM   #28
Klayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
FYI; Hypertech makes a tuner for the 2016 SS Camaro that disables the AFM plus other things such as shift points and extra HP with Premium gas. I have used these many times for new Chev Silverados that I have purchased over the years and I NEVER have a problem with battery decrease or codes.
Unfortunately, the yare still making one for the 2017 and 2018 SS Camaros in which I am now waiting for.

Bear
Yeah...my understanding is you have to remove the TCM and send it off to get hacked for the shift points on the 2017....for now anyway.

Trying to avoid any type of tune/adjustments to the computers presently hence the desire for a good disabler via the OBD port.