Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #1
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Supercharged Callaway Camaro Z/28 SC652 Makes 652 HP

http://wot.motortrend.com/1402_super...es_652_hp.html

Quote:
Known for turning out high-performance variants of General Motors vehicles like the Chevrolet Corvette Stingray GT3 racer, Corvette AeroWagon conversion, and SS sedan, Callaway has just revealed details of its newest creation dubbed the Callaway Camaro Z/28 SC652.

Based on the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 with the 505-hp 7.0-liter LS7 V-8 with 481 lb-ft of torque, Callaway adds an Eaton TVS2300 LS7 supercharger system that was first developed for the 2006-2013 Callaway Corvette Z06 SC652. Total output climbs to 652 hp at 6700 rpm and 620 lb-ft at 4400 rpm – increases of 147 hp and 139 lb-ft, respectively. That’s also 72 hp and 64 lb-ft more than the supercharged Camaro ZL1 and 14 hp and 16 lb-ft more than the supercharged C6 Corvette ZR1.

Callaway warns that the Camaro Z/28 SC652 is not for the “faint of heart.” The tuner claims the supercharged Z/28 will sprint to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds and finish the quarter-mile in 11.5 seconds at 124 mph.

In addition to the supercharger, Callaway adds a liquid-to-air intercooler, high-flow intake, low restriction exhaust, and larger fuel injectors. Appearance upgrades include under hood build plaque, carbon fiber injector covers, Callaway badging, dash plaque, embroidered floor mats, door sill panels, Callaway key fob, and authenticity documentation package.

The Callaway Camaro Z/28 SC652 comes with the Camaro Z/28’s standard high-performance parts including the LS7’s dry-sump oiling system, six-speed manual transmission, aerodynamic bits, wide Pirelli tires, Brembo carbon-ceramic brakes, and spool-valve dampers as well as the Z/28’s weight reduction measures.

Only 10 examples of the Callaway Camaro Z/28 SC652 will be built with the package costing $19,995 on top of the Camaro Z/28’s $75,000 base price. That price does, however, include a 3-year/36,000-mile warranty. Options include a custom car cover, Callaway factory delivery, and a 5-year/100,000-mile powertrain service contract.
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #2
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Interesting, but:

In addition to the supercharger, Callaway adds a liquid-to-air intercooler, high-flow intake, low restriction exhaust, and larger fuel injectors. Appearance upgrades include under hood build plaque, carbon fiber injector covers, Callaway badging, dash plaque, embroidered floor mats, door sill panels, Callaway key fob, and authenticity documentation package.

How much lower restrictive than the factory version could their exhaust possible be and still be legal?
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
i dont live in an emission testing area (thank god) but i believe they are looking for NOx and NO2 from the sniffer. CA i think actually runs a car on a dyno but by Chicago it is a sniffer test. (or used to be)

So if they are installing a supercharger and all they are doing is testing at idle - a solid tune will not prevent the car from passing

Back on topic of 20k

Heads, cam, valve springs, intake, dyno tune, headers, and exhaust - should at the very least get you 550whp and more likely 600whp. That is 700hp at the flywheel and keeps you all motor.

For an LS7 - that is the direction i would go with the car (it should also cost less than 10k installed and tune for all of it too)
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:22 PM   #4
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
So basically, they took everything the GM engineers worked so hard on with the Z/28 and threw it out the window?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:40 PM   #5
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
So basically, they took everything the GM engineers worked so hard on with the Z/28 and threw it out the window?
Excellent point. You have no idea if any of their "upgrades" actually upgrade, because the addition of the supercharger is going to give the illusion that every change made deserves some of the credit for the performance gain, including the fuzzy dice hanging on the mirror.

I would like to see a build with nothing but the supercharger against a build with the kitchen sink thrown in. Then a prospective customer could start to know the incremental value of the additional pieces.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
How is this an upgrade based on:

1. Added weight
2. Thermal loads added by supercharging?

Don't get me wrong, Callaway usually does a very good job -- but even without thinking about the cost of these upgrades, my answer is "no thanks!".

If I absolutely needed more power, I think I'd be calling Katech instead...
Old 02-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #7
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Excellent point. You have no idea if any of their "upgrades" actually upgrade, because the addition of the supercharger is going to give the illusion that every change made deserves some of the credit for the performance gain, including the fuzzy dice hanging on the mirror.

I would like to see a build with nothing but the supercharger against a build with the kitchen sink thrown in. Then a prospective customer could start to know the incremental value of the additional pieces.
adding a supercharger will add weight and upset the weight balance of the car, I think this is what he meant.

1150bhp Whipple 4.0 Supercharged 427ci Camaro ZL1
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:25 PM   #8
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
I'll take the Katech packages, thank you very much but nice find Mikey.

http://www.katechengines.com/perform...-5-camaro-z28/
Stage 1
600hp*
565ft-lbs

Katech Torquer LS7 camshaft
C5-R timing chain
High lift valve springs
Katech titanium ultra-light retainers
Wideband O2 bung
Chassis dyno tuning
Serialized plaque
Price: Call

Stage 2
630-660hp*
580ft-lbs

Katech K501 or Torquer LS7 camshaft
C5-R timing chain
High lift valve springs
Katech titanium ultra-light retainers
CNC-ported heads
FAST LSXR 102mm intake manifold
Fuel rail/installation kit
Wideband O2 bung
Chassis dyno tuning
Serialized plaque
Price: Call

Then off course they have their ultimate package....

Track Attack Camaro Z28
For off-road race vehicles or export outside of the United States only
Katech Track Attack LS7 package
Bore: 4.125”
Stroke: 4.000”
Displacement: 427ci/7.0L
Horsepower: 660
Torque: 570
Redline: 7000RPM
CR: 12.0-14.0:1
Block: RHS aluminum with billet main caps, ARP studs, piston squirters
Crankshaft: 4340 forged steel with ATI damper
Connecting rods: Forged H-beam steel
Pistons: 2618 forged aluminum with DLC-coated pins
Camshaft: K501
Cylinder heads: CNC-ported LS7 with bronze valve guides, ARP studs
Valves: LS7 titanium intake, hollow sodium-filled exhaust
Induction: FAST LSXR 102mm
Oiling system: ARE Stage 3 with Katech HCS/HCP (red) pump
Katech billet belt tensioner
Dewitts custom aluminum radiator
Integrated oil-to-water oil cooler
AN oil cooler lines
Katech aluminum or carbon fiber valve covers
Powdercoat or show prep paint (aluminum only)
Katech Performance engraved insert (aluminum only)
Katech coil relocation kit
Paint-to-match intake manifold
ARE Stage 1, 2, or 3 dry sump system, or Dailey 5 stage
FAST LSXR 102mm intake manifold

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
james347

Drives: 2006 Crownline
I love the Z/28. But I would not touch that motor. It is designed to be Naturally Aspirated. I would leave it the way Chevy designed it.
james347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I'm a bit confused by why anyone would want this. You took a killer track Z28 and made it a semi ZL1. Except if the ZL1 adds a few mods it would have more power so why not get a ZL1 and mod it?

AND, I'm still curious if someone took a ZL and put the Z28 tires on it and dropped the weight 300'ish pounds would it catch the Z28?

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #11
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
If I could feasibly afford it, I would take it, I dont see how the added 150lbs or so throws off the weight ballance anymore than say a 300lb vs a 200lb guy sitting in the drivers seat does. I do agree that the LS7 was designed as a N/A motor just like the LS3, but I have seen quite a few FI Z06 cars and a hell of a lot of supercharged camaros. I am comfortable with it since they are throwing a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty on it.

If you are driving this car on the track the way it was meant to be, the motor will likely need a freshen up before 50,000 miles and definately before 100,000. But I bet with most of them being stashed away as collector cars, many will never see that 36,000 mile mark anyway.

This will appeal to those who like to play at both types of tracks and also want a package car that maintains a little higher collectors value than a car that just had performance parts added down the road.

I can't wait to see what Lingenfelter comes up with for the Z/28

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1SSRSS View Post
If I could feasibly afford it, I would take it, I dont see how the added 150lbs or so throws off the weight ballance anymore than say a 300lb vs a 200lb guy sitting in the drivers seat does. I do agree that the LS7 was designed as a N/A motor just like the LS3, but I have seen quite a few FI Z06 cars and a hell of a lot of supercharged camaros. I am comfortable with it since they are throwing a 3yr/36,000 mile warranty on it.

If you are driving this car on the track the way it was meant to be, the motor will likely need a freshen up before 50,000 miles and definately before 100,000. But I bet with most of them being stashed away as collector cars, many will never see that 36,000 mile mark anyway.

This will appeal to those who like to play at both types of tracks and also want a package car that maintains a little higher collectors value than a car that just had performance parts added down the road.

I can't wait to see what Lingenfelter comes up with for the Z/28
It adds the weight in the wrong place, up front and on top of the engine. The spring rate, shock valving and other things are all set up for the specific weight and center of gravity of the car. You dump extra weight in the car and it changes all those things.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #13
K1SSRSS
Chief Many Camaros

Drives: A paid off Camaro!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
It adds the weight in the wrong place, up front and on top of the engine. The spring rate, shock valving and other things are all set up for the specific weight and center of gravity of the car. You dump extra weight in the car and it changes all those things.
I understand, but my point is so does the weight of different individuals sitting in the drivers seat.

504hp/478tq
Performance: Kooks LT, 3'' Exhaust, V-Max TB, Roto-Fab CAI, Custom Ported/Port Matched Heads and Intake
Suspension: BMR Adjustable LCA's, BMR Trailing Arms, Poly Bushings, BMR Toe Rods
Coming Soon (still in the box): Procharger F1R, G-Force Axles, 3:91 gears w/Eaton Truetrac
K1SSRSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:15 PM   #14
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
They will mostly sell the to people who will say "I have a supercharged Z/28 and that is all they care about.