Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

Phastek Performance

Old 04-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #1
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
Danhr's build

Figured I would start one.

The beginning:
I was pretty specific on what I wanted but I finally found one. 2016 1SS A8 in Hyper Blue Mettalic. The only other option it has is a NPP exhaust.

Parts that are on the car:
Rotofab CAI
Mishimoto catch can
Carlyle Racing 15" wheel conversion
Kooks 2" headers
ATI 10% underdrive pulley
Speed engineering x pipe
DSX Flex Fuel kit
MSD Atomic intake (ported by Tony Mamo)
Katech 103mm throttle body
Circle D converter
BMR poly differential bushings
3.73 Rear End
Qa1 driveshaft
Bogart Drag Pack

Parts I need to order/I'm on the fence about:
Some weight reduction parts

Might take a swing at the bolt on record at the end of the year.... I'm fairly close to Cecil and MIR, and both are very fast tracks, especially later in the season.

Here's some pics of the car when I picked it up
Attached Images

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.

Last edited by danhr; 08-16-2018 at 07:58 PM.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
danhr
BAMF SS

Strange baseline Dyno. We did an initial pull in 5th, because we didn't know where the speed limiter was at. After that, we went into the 1:1 gear, since that's what it is supposed to be dynoed in.... And apparently the speed limiter is at the top of 6th. Lol. GM was thinking.

Numbers were 397 rwhp 424 rwtq. Don't really care what the numbers are, but my numbers were higher than an A8 C7 that was there the week before. A/F looks like good for stock. Either way, I got something to work off of.
Attached Images

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:18 PM   #3
danhr
BAMF SS

Small update.... apparently Texas speed headers are on back order now until July, instead of what I was originally told of May..... soooooo I'm just going to get a set of Kooks instead. As soon as those come in, I will throw all of it on and get it tuned
Old 05-03-2018, 06:22 PM   #4
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Congrats very nice car!

sounds like you're off to a good start

Ive been on the fence with the katech 103. would be awesome if you could get some before and after numbers.

are you getting the msd ported?
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 07:47 PM   #5
danhr
BAMF SS

The katech came up on here for sale for a good price. I probably would of just done a ported factory one, but I eventually want to go for the heads and cam record too (maybe next year) and I know I would need the 103 for that.... so might as well get it now.

I can do a quick dyno with all the FBO and then one with the factory throttle body..... I probably wont have my timer adjust the tune for it though.

I'm up in the air about sending the msd to pray for porting.... probably will just run it as is and see where it ends up
Old 05-03-2018, 10:06 PM   #6
ULTRAZLS1

Good deal

Been looking at them copo wheels too cuz I’ll be going 15s all around. Be sure to update if when you get them

The msd works fine unported but why waste the time with all the money you’re spending? It’s a proven mod and worth the money. If you’re going for records you should get it ported imo
Old 05-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #7
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
Good deal

Been looking at them copo wheels too cuz I’ll be going 15s all around. Be sure to update if when you get them

The msd works fine unported but why waste the time with all the money you’re spending? It’s a proven mod and worth the money. If you’re going for records you should get it ported imo
Well you talked me into it. Sending the MSD out to Tony Mamo for him to work his magic.

Converter finally gets in next week

Carlyle racing has still yet to ship out my wheel kit, even though it's been 5 weeks and they said they had them in stock when I ordered.

Aannndddd still waiting for headers......

This waiting game sucks..... someone just take my money and send me parts!!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
danhr
BAMF SS

Update: got the 15" wheel kit installed and got the dimensions I needed off it to make my wheels.

MSD intake is already being shipped back from tony mamo.... should see it at the end of this week.

I also threw on my rotofab CAI and catch can.... because why not.

I have the kooks headers, speed engineering x pipe, circle d converter, and stuff sitting in my garage.... hopefully I will get time to put them on this week. That way when the intake gets in, it can go straight to the dyno.

On a side note: I'm pretty happy with the speed engineering x pipe. I will get some pics of everything up later, but the welds are pretty nice.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
ULTRAZLS1

Nice...

What converter?

What size rear tire?
Old 05-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #10
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Nice...

What converter?

What size rear tire?
Circle d pro series 5c. A little overkill for bolt ons, but I plan to do a pretty big heads and cam down the road (probably the winter build) , and it should work well with that.

I am hoping on running a 28x10.5x15 mickey Thompson pro bracket radial on the rear and a mickey Thompson 27.5x4x17 bias ply up front.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #11
ULTRAZLS1

Awesome

Great to see another na guy pushing the envelope

I’m going to go as far as I can with some more weight reduction and some 3.27 gear on the stock converter. I think I can run into the 10.6 range on the stock converter. I’m just not convinced a converter helps that much in our cars at the bolt on level. It seems the top end is sacrificed too much in an already lackluster top end lt1 power-band. They look to be worth a tenth at most with bolt ons. But then again not a lot of data out there

As far as heads cam I’ll probably go big or go home and a 4c or 5c. Although I’m leaning toward the victor jr heads. Sounds like the stocker castings are pretty limited on the exhaust side. Ported stock shows good gains but I think the victor jr will be a cut above. Gonna give it another year or so for the correct cams to be developed for those heads. Which is an ongoing process currently
Old 05-21-2018, 09:53 PM   #12
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Awesome

Great to see another na guy pushing the envelope

I’m going to go as far as I can with some more weight reduction and some 3.27 gear on the stock converter. I think I can run into the 10.6 range on the stock converter. I’m just not convinced a converter helps that much in our cars at the bolt on level. It seems the top end is sacrificed too much in an already lackluster top end lt1 power-band. They look to be worth a tenth at most with bolt ons. But then again not a lot of data out there

As far as heads cam I’ll probably go big or go home and a 4c or 5c. Although I’m leaning toward the victor jr heads. Sounds like the stocker castings are pretty limited on the exhaust side. Ported stock shows good gains but I think the victor jr will be a cut above. Gonna give it another year or so for the correct cams to be developed for those heads. Which is an ongoing process currently
Agreed on converter for bolt ons. In fact when my tuner first drove my car, he asked if I was going to even bother with a converter with bolt ons. Gone are the good old 4 speed days, where a good converter picked up almost a few tenths. We will see.... I might to a test n tune between the bolt on tune and converter tune for some rough data.

I was hoping to have it ready and racing for a track rental in ohio on June 4th, but it looks like the wheels wont be ready by then.

Doesn't the 3.27 differential require you to run the smaller v6 half shafts?
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 PM   #13
ULTRAZLS1

Some are saying the v6 1le 3.27 diff is a direct swap. Pray is about to do it. I’m not sure about the axles. Hopefully SS axles work but idk

If that works out I’ll be going with race brakes all around 15 inch wheels and a 27.5 tall rear tire. Equates to 128 mph at 6500 rpm 5th gear crossing traps. Perfect for bolt on. Will be roughly ~135 mph depending on rpm and cam size. Should work great for heads cam as well. 3.27 gear will be the ticket imo.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:40 PM   #14
danhr
BAMF SS

Quote:
Some are saying the v6 1le 3.27 diff is a direct swap. Pray is about to do it. I’m not sure about the axles. Hopefully SS axles work but idk

If that works out I’ll be going with race brakes all around 15 inch wheels and a 27.5 tall rear tire. Equates to 128 mph at 6500 rpm 5th gear crossing traps. Perfect for bolt on. Will be roughly ~135 mph depending on rpm and cam size. Should work great for heads cam as well. 3.27 gear will be the ticket imo.
What's the price on those brakes? I would assume that's all you need to get a 15" wheel on the front. Even though going from a 17x front wheel to a 15" front wheel only saves you a pound and a half per wheel.... why the hell not.

As far as gearing goes, that does sound perfect. I'm waiting to see what my dyno graph looks like before I commit to a tire and gear combo. I'm a huge advocate of "dont fear the gear". As soon as I figure out where this sucker makes peak power at and what the graph looks like, I will commit

What 27.5 tire were you looking at?