Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance - Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs

AWE Tuning

Old 05-21-2018, 11:46 AM   #1
Havoc54

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
PPF and Rock Chips

So I have about 3,000 miles on my 2018 1LE now. I had to daily drive it for a few months until my other car got delivered. It has a few rock chips up front and I was debating on going to get XPEL PPF installed. I installed rock guards on the front and back which seemed to help the sides. Should I try to fill in the existing rock chips that are on the bumper first or have it professionally done before the PPF install? Also what about paint correction beforehand?

The car is a garage queen now with minimal driving, would the PPF even be worth the cost at this point or just suffer a few rock chips?

Any input would be appreciated.
Havoc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM   #2
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
The xpel installer you choose is your best souce of info. Interview a few......
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #3
GTSLOW
Daily Driven 1LE

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Holy smokes $599 just for the bumper kit and that doesn't include the upper bumper or the installation. Is there a more affordable option?

I paid $300 to have the front of my 2015 VW Golf done with I believe a 3M clear wrap.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:07 PM   #4
Havoc54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
The xpel installer you choose is your best souce of info. Interview a few......
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
Holy smokes $599 just for the bumper kit and that doesn't include the upper bumper or the installation. Is there a more affordable option?

I paid $300 to have the front of my 2015 VW Golf done with I believe a 3M clear wrap.
There are only two shops around here that are XPEL approved dealers. I got quoted $1,100 for just the front bumper at the first shop. They do not do any type of paint correction or rock chip repair either. I think I may just live with the rock chips at that rate.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Not surprised. The front end is a PITA to film according to many. My installer said he spent more time on the front bumper/lights/ducts/splitter than the entire rest of what he filmed on my car (Suntek Ultra in my case).

Don't limit yourself to just Xpel.

and +1 to Glen's suggestion ... a good detailer/installer should be able to handle fixing the rock chips for you. If they cannot or will not, look elsewhere.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 04:12 PM   #6
Havoc54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Not surprised. The front end is a PITA to film according to many. My installer said he spent more time on the front bumper/lights/ducts/splitter than the entire rest of what he filmed on my car (Suntek Ultra in my case).

Don't limit yourself to just Xpel.

and +1 to Glen's suggestion ... a good detailer/installer should be able to handle fixing the rock chips for you. If they cannot or will not, look elsewhere.
I'll keep looking around. That's pretty much what the shop said, the new Camaro's front bumper requires more film and time to install than most cars.