Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-27-2021, 03:01 PM   #183
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
SWEEEEET!!! See the German's get it.
Probably has to do with the fact that manual trans is much more popular in Europe, but yeah, gotta give the Germans props on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I am fully aware of all that. Enough to realize that comparing the internal workings is not a relevant approach to categorizing a DCT.

That a DCT is generally similar internally to a conventional MT does not address the defining characteristic that separates the manual transmission from any variation of automated transmission. That being whether the transmission has any capability of its own to select and execute gear changes without driver involvement beyond specifying 'D' or some other forward-direction range.

Exactly.

A DCT is also going to force the driver to drive away from every full stop in exactly the same fashion as if he was driving a car with a conventional torque converter'd, planetary gear'd automatic. For most drivers, it's going to end up being driven in identical fashion to the way it'd be driven if was equipped with a conventional automatic transmission - select 'D' and drive until you need a function that 'D' cannot support.

Norm
Yeah, exactly my point. 99.99999% of people don't give a flip on how a transmission works. PRND and 2 pedals are an automatic transmission. Done.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:06 PM   #184
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
And considering a DCT (IMHO) is the far better choice (basically an automated manual with better controls than my right arm and left leg), manual penetration would likely drop even further.
Maybe not if you count driver satisfaction for much, or have any interest in trying to make the driver (you) as good as humanly possible. Making the machine better can't do those things.

Norm
Old 03-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #185
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Just going to leave this here for those who think the manual market, especially one cars over 150K is dead:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/39478/...l-transmission

"The Porsche 911 GT3 has always been one of the brand's most fun-to-drive track day specials, and for many drivers, there is no substitute for a manual transmission. Porsche's decision to put a manual transmission back into the 911 GT3 paid off far more than the brand expected, especially in the United States, where the take rate for the last-generation manual GT3 was 70%, Bloomberg reports. "
That's awesome that Porsche still offers it.

Correct me if I am wrong though, isn't it the same transmission that it originally had vs having to have a new one developed? That could be important when discussing this
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:30 AM   #186
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
That's awesome that Porsche still offers it.

Correct me if I am wrong though, isn't it the same transmission that it originally had vs having to have a new one developed? That could be important when discussing this
This comes up in plenty of places. Everyone believes that no manufacturer would build a manual for a ME Corvette...

Yet R8 V10s and Gallardos had manuals.

The truth is, no manufacturer would produce one for what GM set their budget at.

My point is that the market is clearly there, and the example is shown to further discredit the manual is dying crowd - especially in expensive sports cars.

So GM projected 15% manual sales based on what I will say and stand behind as incorrect and very poor forecasting (again evidenced by total 911 and Corvette manual take rates hovering around 25+%). If they approached Tremec, etc with a budget for a manual based on 25% take rate instead of 15%, one could guess the budget allotment to be certainly higher, and perhaps change the decision outcome. It's all speculation and there is no going back.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #187
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
This comes up in plenty of places. Everyone believes that no manufacturer would build a manual for a ME Corvette...

The truth is, no manufacturer would produce one for what GM set their budget at.

My point is that the market is clearly there, and the example is shown to further discredit the manual is dying crowd - especially in expensive sports cars.

So GM projected 15% manual sales based on what I will say and stand behind as incorrect and very poor forecasting (again evidenced by total 911 and Corvette manual take rates hovering around 25+%). If they approached Tremec, etc with a budget for a manual based on 25% take rate instead of 15%, one could guess the budget allotment to be certainly higher, and perhaps change the decision outcome. It's all speculation and there is no going back.
And honestly, one of the things that might keep me out of a Corvette. I am well aware GM does not care about me and my 1 Vette but that car (in a Vert) is approaching 718 Spyder territory and I can get that in a manual.

I know 2 different cars and the Vette is "faster", but for guys like me it is about the driving experience not the flat out speed. I can make my manual car faster but I cannot add a manual to a C8 Vette.

Firecracker Red Wrangler Willys, 3.6L eTorque, 850RE 8 speed automatic, 25W Willys package, Technology Group, Convenience Group (aka $600 garage door opener), Cold weather Group, Trailer Tow and HD electric group with AUX switches, 3 piece black freedom top.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:01 PM   #188
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
And honestly, one of the things that might keep me out of a Corvette. I am well aware GM does not care about me and my 1 Vette but that car (in a Vert) is approaching 718 Spyder territory and I can get that in a manual.

I know 2 different cars and the Vette is "faster", but for guys like me it is about the driving experience not the flat out speed. I can make my manual car faster but I cannot add a manual to a C8 Vette.
Agreed. I wanted the Corvette to go Mid-Engine as per Duntov's dream long before it became popular. I also will only own manual sports cars...so while I love the availability of the DCT for those who choose it, no manual, means no ME Corvette for me. That's massively disappointing for me. I am a C8 customer GM lost, as I am forced to look at other brands moving forward, and I'm far from the only one.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #189
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Agreed. I wanted the Corvette to go Mid-Engine as per Duntov's dream long before it became popular. I also will only own manual sports cars...so while I love the availability of the DCT for those who choose it, no manual, means no ME Corvette for me. That's massively disappointing for me. I am a C8 customer GM lost, as I am forced to look at other brands moving forward, and I'm far from the only one.
Its funny you guys mention disliking how the C8 has no manual option. I recently read a review for the new Cayman GT4 and really liked how it comes in a 6spd manual (and no turbos!) and I think that really makes a big difference in a car like that. Sure, with a DCT it will be faster in a straight line and on a road course. Turbos would also make it much more user friendly and not as raw. But its about the feeling and experience you get from the car, not lap times.

Of course you could definitely extract some crazy lap times from the GT4 even with the manual. But you gotta work for it which is missing from some performance cars today imo
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:59 AM   #190
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Its funny you guys mention disliking how the C8 has no manual option. I recently read a review for the new Cayman GT4 and really liked how it comes in a 6spd manual (and no turbos!) and I think that really makes a big difference in a car like that. Sure, with a DCT it will be faster in a straight line and on a road course. Turbos would also make it much more user friendly and not as raw. But its about the feeling and experience you get from the car, not lap times.

Of course you could definitely extract some crazy lap times from the GT4 even with the manual. But you gotta work for it which is missing from some performance cars today imo
Precisely. I had a long post on the Corvette Forum more than a year ago describing exactly this.

Especially considering that I pay to own the car, pay for track time, and pay for all consumables...the absolute best way for ME to get the most out of my money invested, is to increase driver skill, which includes manually controlling the gear selection through a foot operated clutch, and a mechanical shift linkage to the transmission (cable, rod, direct). I do not attend events with any significant amount of cash prizes for winning, nor competitive lapping events - only timed...so absolute fastest lap times are not important to me. Improving my own lap times are, however.

BTW, a Z51 C7 M7 lapped quicker than a Z51 C8 DCT at the same track...can't remember the specific track, it was brought up on the Corvette Forum lengthy thread. I think we can all agree, the C7 driver likely had more skill in this scenario...still shows that manuals can be competitive in the right hands.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 03-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #191
shaffe

Quote:

I am not trying to disagree that it probably should have been offered, just playing devils advocate again.

You mentioned they offer manuals in R8, Gallardo, Porsche etc. Well all those are owned by VW so they can share the costs among them and use the same transmission in all of them(I am not sure if it is, totally guessing)
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
Old 03-02-2021, 09:29 AM   #192
NW-99SS

Quote:
I am not trying to disagree that it probably should have been offered, just playing devils advocate again.

You mentioned they offer manuals in R8, Gallardo, Porsche etc. Well all those are owned by VW so they can share the costs among them and use the same transmission in all of them(I am not sure if it is, totally guessing)
Gallardo/R8 only. Both total much less volume than even 20% of Corvette sales which is a lower percentage than any Corvette C7 manual sales breakdown.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2

Last edited by NW-99SS; 03-02-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #193
shaffe

touche - carry on lol
Old 03-02-2021, 09:59 AM   #194
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
At the end of the day, GM made a decision to not offer an MT. We can argue until the cows come home about why they made the decision. They’ve told us why they made the decision. Believe them or don’t. I was there when the decision was made, though not part of the decision making team. What Tadge and Ed are saying now is consistent with what they’ve said internally. Understand that there were multiple factors, not just a single factor, and most of them have come up here. Similar discussions took place internally and the decision still came out in favor of no MT.

Some here argue that the decision leaves15 - 20% of volume on the table (the 15-20% of cars that could have been sold as MT if there was one). But, at the end of the day, the plant is running at capacity, so they could not have produced 15 - 20% more cars with any transmission. If less than 100% of the cars are DCT, then the cost of the DCT likely goes up, making the car more expensive, as well as having to engineer, certify, and supply a low volume high cost MT.

So, if you’re GM, you haven’t lost any sales, you’re amortizing the cost of the DCT across 100% of your volume, not 85%, and you spent no money tooling up or certifying an MT. If you’re GM, you’re probably good with that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #195
NW-99SS

Quote:
touche - carry on lol
I completely fail to understand why anyone who is a car enthusiast would support not having a manual option...

If manuals are old and antiquated, so are DCTs or any geared transmission. The same argument can be made to ditch ICE and transmissions entirely for EVs, especially if someone is using acceleration performance as their basis of argument.

I'm not against EVs, I just won't own one for a sports car. An EV would make a killer DD, but I also don't like supporting Chinese battery production, or Cobalt sourcing from the Congo. Some of these we have touched on already.

Back on topic - Mach E will sell...I'm sad it got Mustang branded, but I think it will be a hit for Ford fans.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 03-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #196
shaffe

Quote:
I completely fail to understand why anyone who is a car enthusiast would support not having a manual option...

If manuals are old and antiquated, so are DCTs or any geared transmission. The same argument can be made to ditch ICE and transmissions entirely for EVs, especially if someone is using acceleration performance as their basis of argument.

I'm not against EVs, I just won't own one for a sports car. An EV would make a killer DD, but I also don't like supporting Chinese battery production, or Cobalt sourcing from the Congo. Some of these we have touched on already.

Back on topic - Mach E will sell...I'm sad it got Mustang branded, but I think it will be a hit for Ford fans.
In certain applications I understand no manual offered(IE Demon) and I agree that C8 should have offered one. I am just trying to keep the conversation moving as it's slow at the office right now while I am waiting for material to show up lol.