Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-01-2020, 07:59 PM   #57
Muskiehunterman
Camaro Time

Drives: 2021 Camaro 1SS/1LE
There were literally not a Camaro for sale within 250 miles when I traded. Only took a $1500 hit, you only live once.
Muskiehunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:54 AM   #58
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
nah - similar powerband just more of it everywhere, never feels like I'm struggling to run a Mustang, I hate that feeling

My insurance actually went down, still not sure how that worked

Yes, it sucks more gas but honestly who buys these cars for that

I like being in the upper 95%, and I feel like the ZL1 is there. Maybe an M5, AMG GT, or 911tt is going to outrun me (barely), but with a few bolts on even that won't happen. This car is an amazing value, and aside from the oil pump issue (hopefully fixed as of '19) it is more reliable and MUCH cheaper to work on than any of those cars
I don't exactly trust myself with my self control. Again it's to each of their own.

Fuel cost isn't a big deal for a weekend toy but for a DD, it adds up.

ZL1 could be a fun rental to try out one day. I just think that SS is already great for a fun DD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasar View Post
Can't we just do a poll and conclude once and for all that the M6 is better?

It's funny that a lot of people that see my car in real life tend to ask me if it's a stick. I tell them that yeah and they are happy to hear that. I mean, I drive a stick because I like one, but I guess it's just a bonus.

Objectively though, autos are better.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #59
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
I don't exactly trust myself with my self control. Again it's to each of their own.

Fuel cost isn't a big deal for a weekend toy but for a DD, it adds up.

ZL1 could be a fun rental to try out one day. I just think that SS is already great for a fun DD.

It's funny that a lot of people that see my car in real life tend to ask me if it's a stick. I tell them that yeah and they are happy to hear that. I mean, I drive a stick because I like one, but I guess it's just a bonus.

Objectively though, autos are better.

Fuel burn rate is not a joke in this car. Plus the tank is small.
Old 07-03-2020, 11:11 AM   #60
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
Hey guys, I just joined yesterday and this is my first post. I have been lurking for about three weeks and, if you ask my wife, I spend way too much time here! Anyhow, I got my 17 ZL1 M6 about four weeks ago. I thought this might be a good thread to jump in on, pretty safe and all that! This probably isn't the place to go into how I came to own this badass car, so I'll try to stay on topic. I test drove a 2020 A10 and thought that it took away too much of what this car was supposed to provide - A Thrill Ride every time you strap yourself in it. The M6, to me, really immerses you in the car and allows (demands) you to kind of meld yourself to the car. Ok, it may sound a little silly, but there is so much interaction required with the M6, it seems much more fulfilling. Great site, guys, thanks for letting me in.
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #61
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Again - interaction is great on a mountain road or track. I can't imagine riding a bike or driving a GT3 with an auto trans on my favorite Asheville road

For street encounters in every day hustle and bustle, not having to row or clutch (or even think about it) shaves fractions of seconds and allows you to focus on steering, braking and other things. You only have so much concentration available - Keith Code had a great series on this - and the more I can dedicate to driving without worrying about rpm or clutch the better with all these idiots on the road around me

The 10 speed is a beast. It will kill a manual on the street or dragstrip every time and for anyone but a pro it's going to win on a road course as well, it's just that good

It's a question of priorities.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #62
MartinLe

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 M6
How many people buy these cars for tenths of seconds off? In my mind, I am all about taking a machine and finding the line and pushing it just a little but over it. Please excuse my ignorance, but is that the main driving force to purchase this type of vehicle?
MartinLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:11 PM   #63
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I didn't really buy this car as a GT3 wanna be corner charger - it's ok at that but not it's primary strength. I wanted a good handling street brawler

Yes, fractions of seconds matter. M cars are going down, too many think they own the road and it's time to lay down the law.
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #64
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinLe View Post
How many people buy these cars for tenths of seconds off? In my mind, I am all about taking a machine and finding the line and pushing it just a little but over it. Please excuse my ignorance, but is that the main driving force to purchase this type of vehicle?
Some people do, some people don't. I don't. That's why I picked a manual.

That's why they offer both options. Pick whichever that puts a bigger smile on your face.

Past:
Old 07-03-2020, 12:21 PM   #65
Markoz28

Drives: 18 ZL1 nightfall grey A10
I bought my A10 specifically bc of the fractions of seconds faster than the manual.

Will an M6 be more fun? I think yes for a while until you need the extra hand.
I’m done with rowing gears. Yes it engaging but I don’t feel less apart of the A10. With the power it’s making I want to concentrate on control and safety as much as possible.
Markoz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 04:54 AM   #66
JasonGofast
Used to own a ZL1

Drives: '16 Z06
Paddle shifting like formula one cars has always been more fun for me. I think there is plenty of engagement just setting the A10 to manual mode, and using either the paddles or shifter knob. You can have the car be and easy docile ride, then with just a quick hold of the paddle drop down to the lowest gear and blast through traffic or around corners while in complete control of the car's shifting. The fact it is quicker is just an added bonus.

For some an automatic is more fun than a manual.
JasonGofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #67
zx9rmal

Drives: '20 ZL1 M6
While I’m 150% in love with my M6, I certainly get the A10 appeal. I’d like to drive one to see how it feels.
I had a well modified GTI with DCT from 2012-2017, with well over 300 whp.
I loved the DCT. Lighting quick shifts. In the 5 years I drove it, I never had it in anything but manual mode. It was literally a clutchless manual.
Does the A10 shift as quick as a DCT?
'22 Kawasaki ZX-14R
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:17 AM   #68
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonGofast View Post
Paddle shifting like formula one cars has always been more fun for me. I think there is plenty of engagement just setting the A10 to manual mode, and using either the paddles or shifter knob. You can have the car be and easy docile ride, then with just a quick hold of the paddle drop down to the lowest gear and blast through traffic or around corners while in complete control of the car's shifting. The fact it is quicker is just an added bonus.

For some an automatic is more fun than a manual.
To each of their own, I have driven a few cars with paddle shifters. Usually I just play with them if I am bored, otherwise I just leave the car in D.

We also have different mentalities. You are treating it like an F1 tech, I am treating it as a substitute for a real stick shift. That's not working out for me.

Past: