Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #15
ponyboy96

Drives: 2020 ZLE A10, 2018 F250 Diesel
I have the a10. My last car was a stick. This is a weekend fun car for me that I will drive to work from time to time. My last car, I didn’t drive it much. It had a heavy clutch and just wasn’t any fun in traffic. I live in Atlanta, so traffic is terrible and the roads are hilly. Heavy clutch + bumper to bumper on steep hills = no fun at all. I bought the a10 figuring Id drive it more and I have been. It’s also faster than the stick cars. I do miss the direct power to the rear feel you get with a stick. Sticks feel faster, but they really aren’t. Throw that a10 in track mode and man it’s a monster and a completely different car.
ponyboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:00 AM   #16
Screaminz2002

Drives: 2018 Zl1
Drove the 18 M6 ZL1 and a 19 auto ZO6 back to back. I like rowing gears to the point of I bought the ZL1. Traffic, cruising.. it doesn't matter..DD every day. Yeah it's slower then the modern auto but there is always someone faster then you. Most of the time it's an POS box thats held together with zip ties and dirt.
Screaminz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:06 AM   #17
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
Summary:

Both transmissions are great. You will have chosen well either way.

Get the M6 if you get more pleasure from the act of driving and having the connectedness with the car that the M6 adds. It is slower, but if you get more joy from the act of driving, that last tenth of a second won’t matter. Few of us here are actual racers where tenths matter. Just FYI, the ZLE M6 has a lower 6th gear so all ratios are close ratio in it.

Get the A10 if you get more pleasure of how wel programmed this transmission is and how well it compliments the engine. This is not your other automatics, this is a fully modern and fast transmission. If you get the most joy from roll racing or drag strips, you should consider this transmission. Great economy and fast. Hard to beat that.

Boils down to this: if you REALLY enjoy rowing gears, the M6 is your choice and it is a GREAT transmission (also has no-lift-shift and rev match built in if you like that) and is very fast even on the Nurburgring. If you don’t and tend to care more about ultimate performance, get the A10.
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:07 AM   #18
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
I had a 17 ZL1 M6 and sold it and took the big hit and bought the 18 ZL1 A10.
Loved the M6 but the launch is gimped BIG TIME. Its much more than a tenth for sure.
If the car had a DECENT launch I would have kept it.
The A10 is pretty awesome. All my Camaros were M6 until my 18, so I know what I'm talking about...
Old 06-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #19
UFDUB

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE
There is an annoying bog to work around, which makes launches harder, but not impossible. Again, ask yourself, is launching from a dig that important for you? Or will you enjoy your car more carving corners on the roads and track? Launching is just a small part of the equation for some. Have to weight that part for yourself.

Good for thought: if launching and 0-60 times are your bag, just get an AWD car with a DCT. Hell, a VW Golf R with the DCT and minor tune and bolt one will run low 3’s all day in any weather reliably and for cheaper while being more useful day to day. But that’s not why your buying a ZL1...
UFDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #20
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFDUB View Post
There is an annoying bog to work around, which makes launches harder, but not impossible. Again, ask yourself, is launching from a dig that important for you? Or will you enjoy your car more carving corners on the roads and track? Launching is just a small part of the equation for some. Have to weight that part for yourself.

Good for thought: if launching and 0-60 times are your bag, just get an AWD car with a DCT. Hell, a VW Golf R with the DCT and minor tune and bolt one will run low 3’s all day in any weather reliably and for cheaper while being more useful day to day. But that’s not why your buying a ZL1...
Well I bought the car because big AL.O told us it was a triple threat, LOL!
Old 06-08-2020, 12:05 PM   #21
Terry the Tramp

Drives: Camaro ZL1
10 speed in track mode all day long......
Terry the Tramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #22
Ch1

Drives: 19 ZLE M6 Red Hot
I just recently bought 19 zle m6, before that I drove only autos for over 14 years and wanted manual as a result. Since im getting a sports car thought might get manual because i missed the rowing and all the feel that comes with it
Ch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 12:45 PM   #23
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
M6 all day long. Auto=no fun car.

I have two 8 speed autos and a 9 speed auto in my garages if I want to be bored. Paddles do nothing for me. When I take my fun car out I want to row gears.

To each his own.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #24
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
I ride a bike to row (quick shiftier though, no clutch)
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:41 PM   #25
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post

I have two 8 speed autos and a 9 speed auto in my garages if I want to be bored. Paddles do nothing for me. When I take my fun car out I want to row gears.

To each his own.
That's more or less me. Yeah I know automatic is faster, more fuel-efficient, etc. but I still like the manual just for the experience. It just happens that 1LE is currently stick-shift-only but that is changing.

If I get tired of manual trans one day, somehow, I will just buy a hybrid or electric car. The age of manual trans is ending, like or not. I am gonna savour it while I can.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:00 PM   #26
Fast02Z06

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CW3SF View Post

To each his own.
I half ass agree with you but there is this point to be made. If you are into roll/drag racing get the A10 and be a lil more bored but win races. If you are simply after fun and don’t care abt winning that much get the manual. My 18 Zl1 is a manual btw so I’m not biased. I too have a A8 trackhawk and my manual Zl1 and I recently sold my manual 7 speed Z06 that was heavily modded and picked up an A8 C7Z bc I got tired of losing rolls to the auto’s. I was a manual diehard guy but technology has caught up and the auto’s are simply faster like it or not. My Zl1 is up for sale as we speak for this very reason. I’m replacing it with an A10 Zl1 or maybe a dct 2020 gt500.
Fast02Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:21 PM   #27
CW3SF

Drives: 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast02Z06 View Post
I half ass agree with you but there is this point to be made. If you are into roll/drag racing get the A10 and be a lil more bored but win races. If you are simply after fun and don’t care abt winning that much get the manual. My 18 Zl1 is a manual btw so I’m not biased. I too have a A8 trackhawk and my manual Zl1 and I recently sold my manual 7 speed Z06 that was heavily modded and picked up an A8 C7Z bc I got tired of losing rolls to the auto’s. I was a manual diehard guy but technology has caught up and the auto’s are simply faster like it or not. My Zl1 is up for sale as we speak for this very reason. I’m replacing it with an A10 Zl1 or maybe a dct 2020 gt500.
I fully understand but I could not care any less if anyone else’s Camaro is 1/10 of 1/10 faster than me. If I worried about that I wouldn’t have a Camaro to start with. There are plenty of other stock cars that are faster than any stock ZL1, manual or auto. My Gen II Viper was way faster than my ZL1 and looked better doing it.
CW3SF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 05:48 PM   #28
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
If you enjoy a manual you'll never get the same satisfaction with any auto.

I drove a manual for 18 years (400 hp FD RX-7) - but I don't miss it at all. Why? The 10 speed in track mode is very aggressive, it responds instantly - I would race anyone in a manual and can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't win. For me ultimate performance is what matters, plus being able to focus on braking and turn in without some of my concentration going to rowing and clutch manipulation. No regrets at all, the 10 speed just plain kicks ass and will run down M cars with their DCT. Just ran a newer M5 last night.

Footnote - the 2019 1LE auto set the better C&D Lightning Lap time by a significant margin.
Thats on the upshift, the downshift is something completely different.

No converter auto can compete with a DCT on the downshift and that instant snappy shift as soon as you pull the paddle that you get. A DCT has the gear downshifted even before you finish your click of the paddle, no traditional auto can do that.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote