Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #1
MrRuss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
MRC strut/shock expected lifetime?

Hey guys,

I just had to have my driver side MRC strut replaced due to seize up. I will be replacing the passenger side but not with the dealer, too much $$. My car is a 2016 2SS with A8 and ~42K miles. Streets where I live are decent and I drive pretty conservatively.

Anyone know the expected life span of these struts? How about the rear shocks?

Since I am doing both front struts, should I just do the rear shocks?

Thx,

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero

My Garage:
'16 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS, Summit White, Adrenaline Red
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned
'20 Honda Oddysey Elite 25th Anniversary Edition
--wifes car, she said "No more SUV's" after the 2 CX-9's totaled
MrRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:42 PM   #2
I`m Batman

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS M6
That's poopy. Sorry to hear that you have to replace already. I don't know the expect life span of those things. One of the reason why I opt to not get MRC because of potential future problems.
I`m Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I didn't expect them to go out that soon honestly. maybe it's just a fluke.

having said that, this is a big reason why I won't get the zle, because replacing just one of those shocks is way past what I'd want to pay
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
Drags1998

Drives: 15 SilveradoLTZ,162SSVert BlazerRS
The problem You had is a FLUKE!!!! They have been around for MANY YEARS. And there is no need to do anything else. The next time(if there is 1) Buy the Strut on line and do it yourself and save $$$$$$$$
Drags1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #5
Blackmonba6Gen
BLUPRINT_1LE

Drives: 2022 Rapid Blue SS 1LE
Im curious.. how much does it cost to replace the one strut?

IG: BLUPRINT_1LE
YT: BLUPRINT_1LE

----------------------------------------------------------------
Blackmonba6Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
BigGuy81
Account Suspended

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to BigGuy81 Send a message via AIM to BigGuy81 Send a message via Yahoo to BigGuy81
The struts seem to go for about $250-$300 each on Rock Auto.
BigGuy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #7
MrRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackmonba6Gen View Post
Im curious.. how much does it cost to replace the one strut?
At the dealer it was $776.51 (part) and $211 (labor)

At Rock Auto online the strut is $326 each for OEM ACDelco, $245 each for the rears.

I was trying to trouble shoot a clunk in the frontend that was inconsistent and only on raised bumps. First thought was the swaybar end link bolts but they were tight. So was every thing else I checked. Got out my large pry bar to move things around and found nothing. Let the dealer check it and they said strut was seized. I let em replace it so they would have to own the fix if that was not it, it was.

I think the cost of replacements is well worth having the variable damping control. Just buy em and install yourself. They are no more difficult to replace than a regular strut. Even if you pay a shop to put them in.

My Garage:
-- Rotofab CAI, Soler TB, 1 7/8 coated LT's, Full 3" mids, 3" Stainless Works NPP mufflers, Flex Fuel, E85/91 tuned

Last edited by MrRuss; 06-30-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-30-2020, 12:18 PM   #8
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
At the dealer it was $776.51 (part) and $211 (labor)

At Rock Auto online the strut is $326 each for OEM ACDelco, $245 each for the rears.

I was trying to trouble shoot a clunk in the frontend that was inconsistent and only on raised bumps. First thought was the swaybar end link bolts but they were tight. So was every thing else I checked. Got out my large pry bar to move things around and found nothing. Let the dealer check it and they said strut was seized. I let em replace it so they would have to own the fix if that was not it, it was.

I think the cost of replacements is well worth having the variable damping control. Just buy em and install yourself. They are no more difficult to replace than a regular strut. Even if you pay a shop to put them in.
Just looking at the prices are giving me a heart attack lol. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the dealer have to recalibrate the MRC after a strut is replaced?
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
MrRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azerlazer26 View Post
Just looking at the prices are giving me a heart attack lol. Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the dealer have to recalibrate the MRC after a strut is replaced?
There was no mention of any calibration.

My Garage:
Old 06-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRuss View Post
There was no mention of any calibration.
My understanding is that "calibration" actually refers to the specific software in place in the controller and nothing more. If they hook up your car to "calibrate it", all that is going to happen is that the computer will compare the newest available version of the software to what's in the car and update if they're different.

Beyond that, the sensors are what tell the car what position the suspension is in at any given point in time and the software figures out the damping required based on movement.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:02 PM   #11
Azerlazer26

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
My understanding is that "calibration" actually refers to the specific software in place in the controller and nothing more. If they hook up your car to "calibrate it", all that is going to happen is that the computer will compare the newest available version of the software to what's in the car and update if they're different.

Beyond that, the sensors are what tell the car what position the suspension is in at any given point in time and the software figures out the damping required based on movement.
Good to know. Thank you!
Azerlazer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:27 AM   #12
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
I didn't expect them to go out that soon honestly. maybe it's just a fluke.

having said that, this is a big reason why I won't get the zle, because replacing just one of those shocks is way past what I'd want to pay
ZL1 1LE uses DSSV instead of MRC. Completely different system.

They use the DSSV for the ZR2 Colorado as well, albeit with some different calibrations, so I would think DSSV is pretty rugged as well.

And yeah MRC has been around for a while, they have probably worked all the kinks out already.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #13
GTO_Gregory

Drives: 2016 Camaro
My understanding is the hydraulic fluid in the Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) shocks breaks down just like the hydraulic fluid in regular shocks. Albeit it has magnetic particles, but there are seals to wear out, nonetheless.

I have Magnetic Ride Control and plan on replacing them in the 40-50k mile range, maybe sooner. I have got enough other stuff done to the suspension that the impact of the MRC is somewhat diminished.
2006 Quicksilver 6-speed GTO ERL LS3-430, All-Pro 285cc heads, 262/273 .758/.742 116+3 cam, Sheet-metal Intake, 70lb Siemens injectors, SLP, GMM Ripshifter, QA1 Coil-overs front and rear, nylon suspension bushings, Hotchkis, RPM Trans, SPEC twin clutch, SpinTech, Kooks 1 7/8 -2.0", BMR drive train, Kaaz 3.91, Lingenfelter CAI, Baer brakes, mini-tubs, E85.
GTO_Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:24 PM   #14
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
good to know they can be replaced like a regular strut/shock. From Corvette forums, i get the impression the MRC lasts longer than regular shocks. But i'd think if that's really true, GM would make it a well known selling point.

Last edited by Hops; 07-04-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote