Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #1
robertd33

Drives: 2018 2ss redline
$0 radar mount & hidden cord

it was time to replace my radar detector from 1998 & got a deal on a Uniden R3 for $276 (which has been phenomenal, btw, would give it 5 stars). suction cups stuck on the windshield are cheesy, & i wasn't going to spend $45 on a mirror mount. i'm also not spending $60-77 to tap 2 wires.

1- a 7' phone cord is the perfect length, which i had 4 black ones on hand to pick from.

2- the nearest source is the HCM in the passenger footwell. the wires i used are the purple/white(engine running positive) and black(negative) on the brown plug.

3- lift the red lock tab, pull out the brown plug, then take off the white retainer. if you pry up the lock tab (red arrow) on each wire, you can pull the wire's connector from the plug. i used a needle because it's what i had handy. if i were doing it again, i'd loosen the wrap & take the other plugs out of the HCM to pull the brown plug farther out for easier access, instead of twisting myself upside down to get to it. i used forceps to pull the wire out (which wasn't necessary) & punctured the insulation (blue arrow).

4- soldered the phone wire (green=positive, red=ground) to the dip in the connector (purple/wht=positive, black=ground). reassembled the brown plug, zip tied the phone wire to the brown plug harness for extra security. plugged everything back in.

5- routed the wire behind the triangle cover inside the passenger door, it pulls straight out. the flat telephone wire laid nicely behind the rubber weatherstrip on the door & pillar, then inside the headliner to the mirror hole.

6- the mirror stem cover just pulls toward the front of the car. bent one of the included metal brackets to the shape of the mirror cover & attached with screws. snapped everything back together. done. clean. neat.

Last edited by robertd33; 08-21-2020 at 05:27 PM. Reason: worked out the bugs
robertd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:50 PM   #2
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Wow are radar detectors still a thing? I had one back in the 80’s, but it never really proved it’s worth, so I pitched it.
Good job, though, that’s a clever and inexpensive solution, that’s the way I like ‘em.
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Wow are radar detectors still a thing? I had one back in the 80’s, but it never really proved it’s worth, so I pitched it.
Good job, though, that’s a clever and inexpensive solution, that’s the way I like ‘em.

They are still around and when used in conjunction with WAZE they can work well and give you a few seconds to get your speed in check. But you have to do your part and get off the gas. When I was commuting 270 miles a day, mine paid for it's self within a week, as there were 4 hot spots on my route to and from work.
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #4
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
I wouldn't drive without one. As has been said a detector, Waze, watch your six and look for random brake lights on traffic ahead. I drive like an asshole most of the time and will run up against several speed traps a week on my commute, or just sitting in a turn around. Great detector easttxss, I have an R3 and an R7 and they both have amazing range. The R7 has arrows that are really useful and accurate, the only knock is its huge and the mute button is on the side for some reason. Your mount looks good but you're going to have problems with that power source without a capacitor, whenever your traction control activates you're going to loose power to the detector. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...t=radar&page=6
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:34 PM   #5
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
I wouldn't drive without one. As has been said a detector, Waze, watch your six and look for random brake lights on traffic ahead. I drive like an asshole most of the time and will run up against several speed traps a week on my commute, or just sitting in a turn around. Great detector easttxss, I have an R3 and an R7 and they both have amazing range. The R7 has arrows that are really useful and accurate, the only knock is its huge and the mute button is on the side for some reason. Your mount looks good but you're going to have problems with that power source without a capacitor, whenever your traction control activates you're going to loose power to the detector. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...t=radar&page=6

Not my post, I just commented on it. I’ve got an older DFR8, but it works well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:58 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I used to power my Valentine One Gen 1 with the OBD2 adaptor they have(SAVVY is what they call it). Now I bought a radar detector harness from Gen5DIY, which is a more expensive but also elegant solution. I just use the suction cups, but the rearview mirror mount looks pretty good so I might look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Oh absolutely, I have a Uniden R7 right now and it's worth the money.

Just a few days ago, I was driving back from the gym and decided to take the long way home. There was a GT350 a lane across and we hooned around a little(I wasn't serious about it, just thought I would have a little fun). We both took the next exit and the GT350 kept going at it while my radar detector went off so I backed off. Sure enough, just a few seconds later, saw the good ol' red and blue lights and the GT350 got pulled over.

Before that, I got a few tickets for petty speeding(like 10 mph over). Bothered me enough to grab a new one. I used to have a Valentine One and I unfortunately lost it in the flood with the C7.

Quote:
Your mount looks good but you're going to have problems with that power source without a capacitor, whenever your traction control activates you're going to loose power to the detector. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...t=radar&page=6
I am guessing that's why Gen5DIY has different versions for different detectors. They have a special option for all Uniden units, and I recall them emailing me to check if I have the R3 or R7.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:19 PM   #7
AmericanMike

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS FIFTY
mine has save me countless issues.
AmericanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Radar detectors are still more useful than some might believe. The vast majority of municipalities in America still use radar. The ones who use laser are rich suburbs with more tax revenue than they know what to do with. Most state troopers still use radar. Its a lot harder to justify the much higher cost of purchase and certified calibration of a laser gun than radar with public funds. Most cities won’t spring for them. If they do they usually only have 1 or 2 at the very most.

So radar detectors really are still worth it. I own two and have not driven a day without one since 1997. Only 3 speeding tickets since I started driving in 1993 and I do have a heavy right foot.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
robertd33

Quote:
you're going to have problems with that power source without a capacitor, whenever your traction control activates you're going to loose power to the detector. https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...t=radar&page=6
thanks for that, search didn't turn up that thread for me.

edit:wow, that post is so similar to mine, lol, wish i would have seen that first :P

Last edited by robertd33; 08-16-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: i read the whole thing
Old 08-16-2020, 09:33 AM   #10
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Nobody saw the tablet on his dash? LOL
Where is the write up for that?
-Bobby
Old 08-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertd33 View Post
thanks for that, search didn't turn up that thread for me.

edit:wow, that post is so similar to mine, lol, wish i would have seen that first :P

No problem... anyone finding this thread now has the link to both which is good.

I also edited the title on the other one to make it easier to find in a search.

I think I may have done one back in the day where I ran a wire under the headliner and down the A-pillar to the fuse box.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:18 PM   #12
Paintslinger16
Two Lane Blacktop

Drives: '18 Camaro 2SS
Pretty clean
Paintslinger16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:41 PM   #13
robertd33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Nobody saw the tablet on his dash? LOL
Where is the write up for that?
-Bobby
i keep it for the sentimental value because your mom gave it to me for services rendered
Old 08-21-2020, 05:31 PM   #14
robertd33

updated original post to install without power cutting off when stability control activates when using the airbag tap in the overhead console.

total cost of mount & wiring = $0