Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 06-15-2021, 06:30 AM   #15
MakCamaro
Makis

Drives: 2020 Red Hot ZL1 A10
robertd33 I need to ask you something: I need to connect an accessory to the tuner module which is located in the passenger footwell, in the panel right behind the glove box. This accessory needs switched power and I am looking for a switched power source in the passenger footwell area. The purple/white wire that you picked for your installation would be ideal for that. Can this wire be used as a source of switched power?
Old 06-15-2021, 06:36 AM   #16
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Quick question... If you always drive at the proper speed, then you don't need the radar detector cause you wouldn't have a problem passing next to a cop, right?

You can save the 276$ and the work all at once!

Haha
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 06:45 AM   #17
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Wow are radar detectors still a thing? I had one back in the 80’s, but it never really proved it’s worth, so I pitched it.
Good job, though, that’s a clever and inexpensive solution, that’s the way I like ‘em.
I was using Google Maps over the weekend. All of a sudden it says. "Radar Trap Ahead" Sure $hit, there was a cop sitting in the median. I didn't know radar detectors were still a thing either. Same as you, I had one back in the 80's that never saved me. I tend to go no more then 8mph over when traveling somewhere and no cop has ever pulled me over. I'll simply stick to that. I've got no urge to give the police station any money. Don't get me wrong. I'll let it loose on back country Rd but when traveling somewhere, I stick to the 8 over rule. My brother used to be a patrol officer and he always said.... 8 your great, 9 your mine.

Last edited by jamala00; 06-15-2021 at 07:16 AM.
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 AM   #18
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
I've been running a radar detector for years. I think the keys are purchasing a decent unit and acknowledging how they operate. I.e. a radar detector is not an open pass to go 100 mph wherever/whenever you please. Mine has paid for itself so many times over that I wouldn't be able to guess accurately. It is not just about minimizing your risk of getting a speeding ticket either. IMO, it also makes you more aware of situations that may lie ahead. I.e. there has been a bad accident and an officer has someone else pulled over. My radar often lets me know a mile or two in advance, well before I would've seen otherwise.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:17 AM   #19
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
I've been running a radar detector for years. I think the keys are purchasing a decent unit and acknowledging how they operate. I.e. a radar detector is not an open pass to go 100 mph wherever/whenever you please. Mine has paid for itself so many times over that I wouldn't be able to guess accurately. It is not just about minimizing your risk of getting a speeding ticket either. IMO, it also makes you more aware of situations that may lie ahead. I.e. there has been a bad accident and an officer has someone else pulled over. My radar often lets me know a mile or two in advance, well before I would've seen otherwise.
I agree. Key is understanding its limitations and getting a model that performs. I love mine and it has paid for itself many times over.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:09 PM   #20
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post
Quick question... If you always drive at the proper speed, then you don't need the radar detector cause you wouldn't have a problem passing next to a cop, right?

Haha
You never know. Last week I was going 5 over and passed a cop who was going the speed limit and he didn't have a problem with it.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #21
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
I like the wiring. Those rear view mounts would block my view of entire cars at intersections. It's bad enough having the mirror there! #tallguythings
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 12:25 PM   #22
funked1

Drives: '23 Hyundai Kona N, '24 VW GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwiiavfan View Post
Wow are radar detectors still a thing? I had one back in the 80’s, but it never really proved it’s worth, so I pitched it.
Good job, though, that’s a clever and inexpensive solution, that’s the way I like ‘em.
They were basically junk back then. The new ones are pretty much cop detectors, at least where I live. If I get a Ka band warning, there IS a cop there. Between that and Waze, I haven't even come close to getting a ticket in a long time.
funked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:22 PM   #23
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
meh, I havent ever had a need for one. Just know the road, speed traps, know where NOT to speed, and fit in with the flow of traffic in hot zones. Check onramps and offramps, check overpasses, look as far down the road as you can and stay fully attentive. No speeding tickets here.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:34 PM   #24
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_QC View Post

Haha
Several points here.

- You have a Nightfall Gray Metallic Camaro that doesn't have NPP exhaust and "looks stock". It's pretty easy for you to fly under the radar. When you have something like Shock, Crush, or Red Hot with a V8 and NPP exhaust in Sport/Track mode, it's a completely different story. Oh, and 1LE package doesn't help, either. Makes your car look modded. Cops will pay more attention to you for sure. When I drove family cars, I rarely bothered with radar detectors and for the most part, didn't get in trouble. I got two photo radar tickets in my beater Accord, but those just cost a bit of money without leaving a dent on the driving record, so I didn't care much.

- You live in Quebec where a radar detector is illegal anyway. It's a lot of work to make one work there - you have to hide it and make sure it's a stealth unit. Too much trouble for what it's worth. It's legal here in BC, so why not?

- It's also a bit of protest on our part on how BS the speeding system is. I am not going to pretend that I am always innocent, but it's no secret that the traffic cameras/cops are more about revenue generation than actual safety. With crap like those Ghost Camaro's in Texas, I think the use of a radar detector is pretty justified.

Here is a video that focuses on the situation in BC, but can easily apply to other areas in North America. Very educational with some humour thrown in.

https://youtu.be/2BKdbxX1pDw

The guy made a second video after as well.

https://youtu.be/wzmVCSfRR38

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 01:39 PM   #25
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
meh, I havent ever had a need for one. Just know the road, speed traps, know where NOT to speed, and fit in with the flow of traffic in hot zones. Check onramps and offramps, check overpasses, look as far down the road as you can and stay fully attentive. No speeding tickets here.
I have a general idea of my area but what about road trips to unfamiliar areas?

Also, I'd rather pay attention to the actual road and traffic around me. You know, the stuff that really matters for good reasons. I am cool with having a tool deal with the cops.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote