Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 01-14-2021, 09:11 AM   #29
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choda View Post
ohhh a 60-130 draggy would be cool to see.
Yeah I plan on doing one of those soon.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:50 PM   #30
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLT1 View Post
Looks like it pulls hard. Imo, Part of the funky 4-5 is because it's trying to lock the converter when it shifts. Pretty common on A8 converter stuff. You might ask your tuner about just leaving it unlocked or changing where the TCM commands lock up.
Looks like I'm going to have to have my tuner look at it some more, it didn't want to shift out of 4th at WOT today when I was taking someone for a ride. Here's the video he took, if you have any ideas for me to tell the tuner please let me know. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/CC5eZ43C9Ho

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2021, 04:52 PM   #31
Umbriel

Quote:
Mine fought the 4-5 for a short period too. Glad the tuner figured it out. Im not sure what he did though.

Awesome car. Cant wait to see some 1/4 vids
Could you possibly ask him for me? Mine is not wanting to shift out of 4th, if you watch the video I just posted above you can see what I'm talking about. Thank you!

Old 02-08-2021, 10:32 AM   #32
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
It might need the commanded shift MPH lowered some on the 4-5. Does it do it if you have it in Manual mode and manually command the shift?

Either way with that kind of power I would quit skip shifting and setup Manual TUTD mode so it will still shift at commanded WOT mph but you still have manual control over the trans otherwise. This way all you do is put the car in manual mode, select the gear you want to pull in, floor it, and the TCM will still shift for you at WOT.

I have a thread in the Trans section on how to do it....Super easy!
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:44 AM   #33
Umbriel

Quote:
It might need the commanded shift MPH lowered some on the 4-5. Does it do it if you have it in Manual mode and manually command the shift?

Either way with that kind of power I would quit skip shifting and setup Manual TUTD mode so it will still shift at commanded WOT mph but you still have manual control over the trans otherwise. This way all you do is put the car in manual mode, select the gear you want to pull in, floor it, and the TCM will still shift for you at WOT.

I honestly am not sure and I wish I would have tried that because I was wondering myself if that would have made it shift after I got back home.

I'll look into that thread and talk it over with my tuner. Thanks for the help with this!
Old 02-08-2021, 11:01 AM   #34
Umbriel

Quote:

Just looked over everything and it looks pretty simple as you said, one question though.

Do you think if I had my tuner set mine up exactly like yours that it would work ok for my car? Not sure what convertor you're running or how much power you make but it would be nice if your settings would work on my car so there wouldn't be any fine tuning that needed to be done.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #35
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Likely will be close. The thing I like about Manual Mode is that you don't need to factor in "lead time mph" from second gear and higher. Meaning set the MPH lower then where it will actually shift due to how hard the car pulls and the response time it takes for the tcm to command the shift. It can be really finicky on high powered 8l90 cars when tuning regular drive mode.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:32 AM   #36
Umbriel

Quote:
Likely will be close. The thing I like about Manual Mode is that you don't need to factor in "lead time mph" from second gear and higher. Meaning set the MPH lower then where it will actually shift due to how hard the car pulls and the response time it takes for the tcm to command the shift. It can be really finicky on high powered 8l90 cars when tuning regular drive mode.
Ok thanks, I'm going to talk it over with my tuner this afternoon.

Does this cause issues with burn outs at the track? I know you aren't supposed to let it shift into third doing a burnout.

Old 02-08-2021, 03:40 PM   #37
Umbriel

Quote:
I talked to my tuner about it and he said he has set up a lot of cars that way and actually prefers it but didn't do mine because I didn't request it. He said he thinks my issue is an actual transmission issue but will try and work with it when I bring it back to turn the boost up. Yay me.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:30 PM   #38
Herold Motorsports

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
I talked to my tuner about it and he said he has set up a lot of cars that way and actually prefers it but didn't do mine because I didn't request it. He said he thinks my issue is an actual transmission issue but will try and work with it when I bring it back to turn the boost up. Yay me.

Do you have your file by chance or is does he have it on his HPTuners only?
Herold Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:06 AM   #39
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herold Motorsports View Post
Do you have your file by chance or is does he have it on his HPTuners only?
I do not have it, sorry. I let himnl do all of the tuning and he is local so there was never a reason for me to have it.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:38 AM   #40
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Could you possibly ask him for me? Mine is not wanting to shift out of 4th, if you watch the video I just posted above you can see what I'm talking about. Thank you!

Your video has me thinking.

1. When roll racing, I never leave the car in Drive and floor it. I have always, in every modded vehicle, manually put it in a gear - floored it - then put it into Drive. Having the trans jump down a gear or multiple gears with a lot of additional power seems to be looking for disaster. Stock cars, or lightly modded, sure leave it in Drive. We are making more than double the power.

2. Looking back at emails, looks like he cut some power on the shift and ramped it back in very quickly (about 300 milliseconds) so the transmission shifts without slipping.

3. Im surprised to hear your tuner say he likes to tune the manual mode shifting on cars but didn't in yours because you didn't ask him to. I would ask him to do everything he would if the car was his own. We are not tuners and don't know what to change or ask for. That's why we pay them.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:42 AM   #41
Choda

Drives: Turbo 6.2
Quote:

I'm going to have to look into this! awesome feature because I stab the gas and instantly push the shifter to the right into Drive. I would much rather keep focus on the road and wheel. Id also think this is fine for burnouts as long as you stay away from redline where the car would shift. I always stick around 5000 rpm in the burn out box.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:26 AM   #42
Umbriel

Quote:
Your video has me thinking.

1. When roll racing, I never leave the car in Drive and floor it. I have always, in every modded vehicle, manually put it in a gear - floored it - then put it into Drive. Having the trans jump down a gear or multiple gears with a lot of additional power seems to be looking for disaster. Stock cars, or lightly modded, sure leave it in Drive. We are making more than double the power.

2. Looking back at emails, looks like he cut some power on the shift and ramped it back in very quickly (about 300 milliseconds) so the transmission shifts without slipping.

3. Im surprised to hear your tuner say he likes to tune the manual mode shifting on cars but didn't in yours because you didn't ask him to. I would ask him to do everything he would if the car was his own. We are not tuners and don't know what to change or ask for. That's why we pay them.

Yeah I agree on both counts, when I was doing those pulls I was trying not to stab it and kind of quickly roll into it but it still was jumping into high gear like I was stabbing it. I have never been an auto guy so this is really my first auto performance car ever so I'll have to get used to doing that instead of letting it shift on it's own. Why my tuner didn't tune it that way after hearing he likes it that way is a mystery, we talked about it yesterday and when I go back to up the boost I am going to remind him of it. and I will bring up the cutting power and on the shift and then ramping it back in. I try not to feel like I am telling people how to do their job on this kind of stuff though.