Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 06-01-2020, 11:49 AM   #1
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Unhappy Did I get the wrong engine for performance?

So recently I bought the V6 LGX engine. I have fun, snags 20CTY and 30HWY. The ho hum sounds are impressive and its quick, it's also a step up from 4 cylinder engine cars I've drove in the past. Only small problem I see if everyone getting better performance and torque in Turbo 4 and 8 cylinder camaros. High end torque, plenty of horsepower, friendly mods, and more potential out of their engines. Maybe it's me because it's still 2020, which is the year of my car. The camaro I4 can run circles around V6 camaros with the right mods. Torque is more useful than horsepower (from what I was told) maybe in the future I can twin turbocharge my V6 but that's more money out of pocket than a supercharger for a car I'm not going to be doing any kind of drag racing with, maybe just a badass daily or if someone tries to show off I can leave them in the dust and at that point.

Did I get the wrong engine? Or am I just overthinking it?
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Well can't speak for you, but I love the LT1 in my 2020 2SS, sounds great (NPP), tons of torque and power and if I need the mileage I've done 28+ Mpg on the highway with the cruise set at 75... Even around town I'm doing somewhere around 17-18 Mpg and that is sticking my foot in it quite a bit...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
What's right for one person isn't right for another. Did you get the wrong engine you ask....only you can determine that. There is no right or wrong answer, because there are so many individual preferences and circumstances at play here. If getting something with more than 400 hp was a priority then yes maybe it wasn't the right choice. I have a 2018 V6 myself, and I'm very satisfied with it, but I knew this up front, because I knew what I was expecting from this car.
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #4
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
They all have their pluses and minuses. I didn't get the SS because it felt more like a muscle car than what I was looking for. And I chose the 2.0T over the V6 because it's a little more weight off the front end and more tunable. Although sometimes the benefits of a naturally aspirated motor would be nice. Also, the 2.0T sounds like hot garbage, while the V6 has a better sound to it. The V6 can run regular gas whereas the 2.0T and V8s should run premium.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:55 PM   #5
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
As others said, you gotta have the right expectation for the car.

As for torque vs. horsepower, I would recommend you to get behind the wheel of an S2000 or RX-8 if you ever have a chance to. Neither of those cars is particularly fast and they are torqueless, but the high-revving feels you get from those are an experience. I still miss my RX-8 when I review the footage of me revving it to the 9000 RPM and hearing that shift beep going off.

There is more to a car than raw performance. Even with an SS and ZL1, there will be faster cars out there. You will never win every one. I have learned to be grateful and be happy with what I have.

Besides, if you have only driven inline 4 FWD car at this point, perhaps a V6 Camaro is a good stepping stone. I personally have learned that you really gotta respect the power of a V8 and throttle control is more important than ever.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:48 PM   #6
BOYD3800SII

Drives: 2017 RS CAMARO V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post
So recently I bought the V6 LGX engine. I have fun, snags 20CTY and 30HWY. The ho hum sounds are impressive and its quick, it's also a step up from 4 cylinder engine cars I've drove in the past. Only small problem I see if everyone getting better performance and torque in Turbo 4 and 8 cylinder camaros. High end torque, plenty of horsepower, friendly mods, and more potential out of their engines. Maybe it's me because it's still 2020, which is the year of my car. The camaro I4 can run circles around V6 camaros with the right mods. Torque is more useful than horsepower (from what I was told) maybe in the future I can twin turbocharge my V6 but that's more money out of pocket than a supercharger for a car I'm not going to be doing any kind of drag racing with, maybe just a badass daily or if someone tries to show off I can leave them in the dust and at that point.

I think if you get yourself some intake and exhaust mods and maybe a tune it will put more than enough of a smile on your face.
BOYD3800SII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOYD3800SII View Post
I think if you get yourself some intake and exhaust mods and maybe a tune it will put more than enough of a smile on your face.
Just be aware that these mods WILL void your warranty...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
yes. you got the wrong engine.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
alodg13

Drives: 2017 Garnet Red 2ss
If you wanted high hp/torque, yes you should have gone with the V8.
alodg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
SoarinSnek

Drives: 2020 Camaro
Is it true GM will stop the Camaro at 2023? I am very happy with what I got, I just hear talk about those two engines are more potential than a V6. If that's not true, then maybe next gen I can snag a V8 if the budget is within me.
SoarinSnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:19 PM   #11
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
When you stop and think about it any of the Camaro engines have plenty of potential with enough money. From my understanding (I may be wrong) both the T4 and V6 can handle similar power on the stock internals. As of now 2023 is supposed to be the last year for the Camaro. Maybe it changes and maybe not. Who knows
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:57 AM   #12
NowaChevyGuy

Drives: 2016 Camaro LT1 RS Black on Black
I love my RS. That being said the mods I have made really rounded out the car. Cold air intake and an axle back exhaust (I went with Borla) to help it breath. JMS throttle controller with adjuster knob, I highly recommend this it made that big of a difference. BMR sway bars and end links (forum used parts deal) car corners like it's on rails now. The #1 mod so far is i swapped the diff and axles out for one out of a 2.0T manual. Those came with a limited slip diff with 3.23 gears instead of the open diff with 2.73. The axles are much thicker. With the A8 I didn't loose any top end at all, just gained a ton of low end. Got the diff axles and everything from a wrecked 17 for $700. To adjust for the gears I went with a Trifecta tune which has done really well. I hit it on a Labor Day sale so was pretty cheap. I recently added the SS Brembo front brakes for extra stopping power. The parts I picked up here and there always watching for the deal so didn't break the bank. All in all the car totally kicks ass and is really hard to beat on the street.
2016 RS - Trifecta Tuned, 3.23 diff swap, Borla S Type, JMS Throttle Controller, Lambo doors, Monster stereo, GM LED rear tail lights, BMR swaybars/End Links/Trailing Arms, tinted dark and murdered out.[/br]
Car kicks ass! $20k.. and I get 20mpg with my foot in it, everywhere I go!.... Say somethin about V6's now...
NowaChevyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 AM   #13
foshjowler

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T, 91 Miata
Let's not forget that 335 hp is not exactly a small amount. The V8 is more, but that doesn't mean the V6 is lacking. Unless you're going drag racing, I don't see much need for the power the V8 has. On the street you can't use it without risking tickets or worse, at autox power doesn't get you much, during a track day you're not racing anyone so all the extra power gets you is more consumable costs and more death if something goes wrong.

They all come with the same chassis and suspension, well I know the front is, I haven't checked the rear. The chassis was designed so Cadillac could compete with the Germans, not to compete with the Mustang and Challenger. The V6 and 2.0T are bad muscle cars, but great sports cars, enjoy it like it's a sports car.

Youtube Channel

foshjowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #14
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarinSnek View Post

As a boater, we live by a saying. Find the boat you want, then go buy one 3 foot bigger. You'll always be boating and be thinking, man if i just had a bit more space on here.

There is one caveat to that. Money. You can only buy what you can afford BUT always be wanting more.

If you buy the I4, you'll want the v6, if you buy the v6, you'll want the v8, if you buy the v8, you'll want the ZL1, buy the ZL1 you'll want the Z06.... etc etc

My SS is silly fast but i want the ZL1. Just can't afford it.

Moral of the story matter what you have you'll always be wanting more so just enjoy the car
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote