Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 12-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #15
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
Congrats on the new shifter! I put a Hurst in my 5.0 and never regretted it. One of my favorite "features" of the shifter was that I learned to tell what RPM range I was in from the vibration of the shifter ball.

Oh, and I planned on getting a black shifter ball for it as well, but 14 years later the white ball is still there. The black ball was made of some sort of plastic while the white ball feels like a cue ball, and I really got stuck on the feel of that cue ball. If you go with the black one, make sure they now make it from the materiel you desire.

I can't watch the videos, but I have two questions for you: Did you have to adjust the stops, or do they come pre-set or something? Did you have tensioning spring options when you installed it? I had springs that were used to adjust the return-to-center tension.

This is definitely on my list of things-to-do-right-away!
vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:19 PM   #16
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
The shifter is basically a direct swap. Nothing had to be adjusted at all. Just remove the old and replace with he new!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #17
Sidewinder

Drives: 2SS/RJT/A6/Received 09/09/09
Good Job!!!!!!
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Im sorry this might have been asked but does the hurst short throw void transmission warrenty? I have to take my camaro in tomorrow due to it not shifting correctly
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #19
subzero05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 tbd
no, The shifter itself (or any aftermarket) product for that matter will not directly void a warranty. Any problem associated by the presence of an aftermarket part must clearly be proven to have caused the problem in question.. Hurst is an O.E supplier to GM. You should not have a problem, but it is well documented that there are some cars out there with inherant shifting /trans issues.
subzero05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #20
montej23

Drives: 2011 VR Camaro
Sub thats what i was thinking and just wanted to make sure
montej23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Warranty won't be voided. But, if the shifter was installed improperly and that ends up being the problem (which probably won't be the case), then the dealer service dept won't warranty the work. I would be the issue is IN the transmission...and that would not be caused by a shifter. But, without seeing the problem, I can't diagnose and say for fact...just leaning towards the tranny...synchronizer issue...etc.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #22
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Any review after a few miles/hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Yeah...so far, I LOVE it. I have not yet "gotten on it." But, when I have the chance, I will...and I'll let ya'll know how it goes. I believe it honest reviews of the parts I put in my car. If I don't like it, I'll say it. Not the case here. I LOVE the shifter so far.

Great job, Hurst!!!

Now...for those back ordered black Hurst knobs.....[/B]

So how did the shifter do on your trip? Any pros or cons to report? Still snow & ice on the roads here so mine is still un-tested as of yet. I too will order the Hurst logo knob....... but 90 bucks? ouch!
Thanks in advance for your input.
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #23
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FwyFlyer View Post
So how did the shifter do on your trip? Any pros or cons to report? Still snow & ice on the roads here so mine is still un-tested as of yet. I too will order the Hurst logo knob....... but 90 bucks? ouch!
Is this a new hurst logo knob you are talking about? I got the black anodized alum knob with the Hurst logo on top like SooCh's (member here) from the Hurst website for the listed price $49.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #24
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Thanks, guys. The directions they supplied were really easy to follow.

However, in my experience, having someone there to help run you through the process showing you step by step is the next best to having someone do it for you.

If this helped anyone in their install process, I did my job.

...and thanks again. I love doing stuff like this!! Next up, Vararam installation thread!!! MONDAY MONDAY MONDAY!!!
So you are coming to Alabama then to help me with the Vararam????
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #25
FwyFlyer

Drives: 2010 SS/RS
Hurst knob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Is this a new hurst logo knob you are talking about? I got the black anodized alum knob with the Hurst logo on top like SooCh's (member here) from the Hurst website for the listed price $49.
This is the knob I want.
http://hurst-shifters.com/hurst-prod...with-Hurst-pin
FwyFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 PM   #26
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Shifter is a complete (and pardon my french, please) bad ass piece of machinery. I mean... The Hurst shifter is totally different from stock. There's really only "pro's" to the install. ALL the shifts are FIRM. It's almost like a clicking each time you put it in gear. Like....it "snaps" into gear. You KNOW when you shift and can actually FEEL each shift. When you shift with a stock shifter, it feels pretty spongy...mushy... Heck, I felt like I was going to break the stock shifter in half when I shifted hard. COMPLETE OPPOSITE when shifting with this one. The ONLY con to this one is a tiny amount of vibration noise. I found that the majority of the time, the vibration noise came because I was resting my hand on teh shifter causing the shifter to lean to one side (there's about a half an inch play left to right when in gear) and when you press the shifter to the side, it'll vibrate. It's nothing that is annoying to me. However, a 2nd plastic boot or some type of spongy insulating material would surely take away any noise.

So far, I am 100% satisfied. For those that use them, I'm sure they all agree. If anyone is interested in trying one out before buying, ask around in your regional forums to see if there's anyone close by that might mind letting someone try it out....not necessarily driving it, now.....just shifting through the gears to see if they liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
Yep. That's the one. I swore I saw one with an orange "H." Maybe it was just this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
So you are coming to Alabama then to help me with the Vararam????
Dude...you won't NEED help with it!!! It's EASY to install! And, I'm going to do a DIY thread for those that might need a bit of help.

I hope you get one soon! I think you are going to get the actual 2.75 production piece. Believe me...you are going to LOVE it.
Quote:
Yep...that's kind of how I remembered it....thought it was orange on top, but I guess not! Love that shifter, though!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:48 PM   #27
Rallysport
Go Cardinals!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 6-speed #1879
What a great play-by-play install. I don't have a new Camaro..YET....but when I do get one, this is one of the first upgrades. I put a B&M short-throw shifter in my 1994 Corvette, and MAN...what a difference! That thing is so tough it feels like you could hit it with a sledgehammer. The super short "click" into gear is so much better than stock. I can only imagine how nice the Hurst is in the Camaro...I drove a stock 2010 SS stick, and its ok, but a Hurst will be the ticket.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #28
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Nice write-up. I got mine back in October and I love it. The whole driving experience is completely different with it and feels much more solid and precise.

You want to do something else that's great? Replace your trans fluid with 4 qts of Royal Purple Synchromax, and the diff fluid with 1 qt of Royal Purple 75w90 Max Gear. The car runs smoother, quieter and just seems to glide along now. Combined with the Hurst shifter it's a pure joy to drive.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote