Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-14-2011, 10:06 PM   #15
Mike2ss
Airborne Pathfinder

Drives: Camaro ZL575
That is one bad ass engine, and best of all it finally looks good, as long as it comes looking as above.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
go chevy

Drives: ___
zl1 the legend is back

thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Make the sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandotron View Post
I would make the sex with that engine.

True Dat.

I intend to use

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
True Dat.

I intend to use

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #19
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Question Synthetic Oils in other components??

Differential?
Transimission?
Steering?
Brakes?
Intercooler?

I am wondering if there is a benefit or risk to using synthetic in each of the above? It seems on the surface that synthetics are the way to go, but I have heard that in superchargers, it can cause overspin and failure..

Anybody have any overviews on this subject to share?
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:40 PM   #20
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
Nice pics, Thanks
Pfadt rear tie rods
Pfadt rear trailing arms
Pfadt rear lower control arm reinforcement bracket
Kooks Long tube headers and high flow cats
Airaid Cold air intake
Magnaflow catback exhaust
Mti short throw shifter
Jannetty tune
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #21
Scarrzz
No Fear-No Limits- Camaro

Drives: '13 ZL1 or Suzuki Hayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
Differential?
Transimission?
Steering?
Brakes?
Intercooler?

I am wondering if there is a benefit or risk to using synthetic in each of the above? It seems on the surface that synthetics are the way to go, but I have heard that in superchargers, it can cause overspin and failure..

Anybody have any overviews on this subject to share?

I believe there may be a thread for this somewhere else, but since you asked I'll tell you a personal story that illustrates the point that sometimes you can get too slippery.

I had just gotten my Hayabusa broken in at about 5k miles when a buddy started telling me about how awesome Amsoil synthetic is. I did some research and a few people were claiming 5+ additional horsepower just from lack of friction. I figured heck, why not, I need 175 hp instead of 170.

It only took about another thousand miles for my roller bearing in the clutch basket to wear grooves because it was sliding instead of rolling.

Repair & replace oil.

Moral of the story: Use a fluid recommended by the manufacturer or at least one with the same specifications.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled engine thread.

Scarrzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #22
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ice View Post
Nice pics, Thanks
I believe I read somewhere that Procharger uses sythetic oil. That's specifically formuled, though, so I'd just go with what the manufacturer says. GM was using Mobile 1 in 'Vettes since LT1s, that I can recall (I don't honestlt know about now, though - I haven't noticed). SLP SSs and WS6s came with a synthetic oil package in the 4th Gen, too, if I remember right (Quaker State I think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarrzz View Post
I believe there may be a thread for this somewhere else, but since you asked I'll tell you a personal story that illustrates the point that sometimes you can get too slippery.

I had just gotten my Hayabusa broken in at about 5k miles when a buddy started telling me about how awesome Amsoil synthetic is. I did some research and a few people were claiming 5+ additional horsepower just from lack of friction. I figured heck, why not, I need 175 hp instead of 170.

It only took about another thousand miles for my roller bearing in the clutch basket to wear grooves because it was sliding instead of rolling.

Repair & replace oil.

Moral of the story: Use a fluid recommended by the manufacturer or at least one with the same specifications.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled engine thread.

A story like this really makes me concerned. I've only used sythetics in the motor and rear end for as long as I've owned cars (not my near-20-year-old 4Runner, though - that thing would just piss it out of all the leak zones, lol). I don't doubt your experience at all, so I would just like to make that clear.

I've read stories about your oil, and RP making almost 10 more RWHP on cars going from straight petro' to sythetics, front-to-back. I don't know how scientific the tests were, but I remember those, too.

Over at LS1tech, there was a 'Vette guy that literally spent tens of thousands of miles testing almost all of the major brand oils in his 'Vette. He would actually send samples off to a lab to check for the different metals and other qualities after a given amount of miles. I'll try to remember his name, and you'd have to search through posts from almost 10 years ago, but he did find sythetics did make a difference. Whether or not that difference was beneficial in all applications, I don't know, but he tested on his LS1 C5, so that's what I know.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 06-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #23
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Red face Don't mean to be off topic..

so i apologize if so. But this IS about tranny's & engines and I know many of you WILL use synthetic in the engine. I see no problem there. I, too, have read stories that overspin can happen in superchargers.

But, in the interest of making our cars last as long as possible (while some may be driven much less than others) its nice to have lubricants that really do improve reliability. Not necessarily performance, but RELIABILITY.

I could care less about 5 or 10 more horespower, but I would like to make my master cylinder last longer, make my brake lines less likely to collapse, keep the transmission gunk free, etc etc.......

Thanks for not booting me fellas! I'm just trying to educate myself and not let anyone convince me to do the wrong thing with this piece of heritage when I get it.
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:33 PM   #24
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
so i apologize if so. But this IS about tranny's & engines and I know many of you WILL use synthetic in the engine. I see no problem there. I, too, have read stories that overspin can happen in superchargers.

But, in the interest of making our cars last as long as possible (while some may be driven much less than others) its nice to have lubricants that really do improve reliability. Not necessarily performance, but RELIABILITY.

I could care less about 5 or 10 more horespower, but I would like to make my master cylinder last longer, make my brake lines less likely to collapse, keep the transmission gunk free, etc etc.......

Thanks for not booting me fellas! I'm just trying to educate myself and not let anyone convince me to do the wrong thing with this piece of heritage when I get it.
I don't recall hearing anything about overspinning superchargers, however, the first thing I thought of when you posted that was the supercharger is always mechanically connected to the engine (except in a Mercedes, where I thought I've seen an actual SC clutch, like an AC compressor), so in order for an SC to be overspun, the pulley size would have to be such that it goes out of it's operating range, or both the engine and SC are over-rev'd from missing a shift and such.

I know I'm sold on synthetics in the engine, a manual trans., and rear end, but am still on the fence with a slushbox.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
milesss

Drives: 2010 hurst, 2-69s, 65 vette
does any one know if the p.s. delete bracket is avalible yet that is in the picture of the 2012 lsa engine.
milesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesss View Post
does any one know if the p.s. delete bracket is avalible yet that is in the picture of the 2012 lsa engine.
I seriously doubt any LSA parts for ZL1 will be available until well after one can order ZL1 and it starts production. I bet you couldn't order that bracket until at least the end of the year. It wouldn't hurt to keep asking our dealership Sponsors. They should be able to query their respective parts departments.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 07-19-2011, 07:14 PM   #27
milesss

Drives: 2010 hurst, 2-69s, 65 vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I seriously doubt any LSA parts for ZL1 will be available until well after one can order ZL1 and it starts production. I bet you couldn't order that bracket until at least the end of the year. It wouldn't hurt to keep asking our dealership Sponsors. They should be able to query their respective parts departments.

thanks, i have decided to go ahead and run it with the power steering . thanks for the reply.
milesss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:13 PM   #28
Speedy 4512

Drives: 2001 Camaro, 1979 Malibu, 2002 Jr.
When is the realese date!? Overall bad ass car!
Speedy 4512 is offline   Reply With Quote