Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-28-2018, 03:51 PM   #15
Stocktastic

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue SS 1LE
It's almost like your MRC was still in Tour.
Stocktastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:09 PM   #16
JeffFox

Drives: 2018 2SS Coupe A8
Thank you Travis and forum members for the good information
JeffFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 07:51 PM   #17
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
The first laps of the day or of a session after tire temps/pressures have dropped are important. Putting the hammer down before the pressures are very near optimum will abuse the outer shoulder. I’ve felt the sidewalls lay over, more often in Pitt Race’s turn 4. What are you cold pressures?
Be aware that going nuts on the static camber will be abusive to the inner shoulders. This is where finding optimum caster helps. Caster helps the dynamic camber on both fronts in a corner. It will help the more loaded outer tire in a turn by adding dynamic negative camber and conversely, it will help the inner less loaded front tire by subtracting the dynamic negative camber. But, since there is no free lunch, addition caster beyond OE may create bumpsteer. Been there, done that.
The comment about more grip=more chassis roll is spot on. An easy change would be to swap in stiffer anti roll bars, if anyone makes them. But without any hard data on actual stiffness differences, it would just be a guessing game. Any change to the roll stiffness may also negatively change how the MRC performs.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 PM   #18
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I ordered the DSSV kit and ZL1 1LE rear sway bar Friday. Hopefully I'll get a couple track days with them before the end of the season.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:00 PM   #19
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Tire Rack really provided an awesome response. Totally surprised by that.

One reason I'm switching to 1LE is the suspension. Will be interested to hear your review on the DSSV. As for tires I'll probably use the Goodyears for the track and I have a second set of OE wheels on order for tires TBD.

I wonder if 20" tires with the smaller sidewalls has anything to do with this.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:05 PM   #20
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post

One reason I'm switching to 1LE is the suspension. Will be interested to hear your review on the DSSV. As for tires I'll probably use the Goodyears for the track and I have a second set of OE wheels on order for tires TBD.

I wonder if 20" tires with the smaller sidewalls has anything to do with this.
Their response was good. Unfortunately, their response is just a roundabout way of saying I need to change my suspension to match the tires.

I'm really looking forward to the DSSVs. It should put me in a unique position to evaluate MRC vs DSSV without other variables like aero, wheel size, tires, 1LE secret sauce software, etc.. we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure the sidewalls make a difference, but I could see a stiffer sidewall perhaps being a benefit...who knows though. PittRace is just really hard on tires, and I'm bad about sliding the front around every turn anyway. I have a new set of R7s. I plan to watch the pressures a little more closely and try not to run them too hard for the first couple laps of each session.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM   #21
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Their response was good. Unfortunately, their response is just a roundabout way of saying I need to change my suspension to match the tires.

I'm really looking forward to the DSSVs. It should put me in a unique position to evaluate MRC vs DSSV without other variables like aero, wheel size, tires, 1LE secret sauce software, etc.. we'll see how it goes.

I'm sure the sidewalls make a difference, but I could see a stiffer sidewall perhaps being a benefit...who knows though. PittRace is just really hard on tires, and I'm bad about sliding the front around every turn anyway. I have a new set of R7s. I plan to watch the pressures a little more closely and try not to run them too hard for the first couple laps of each session.
On one hand, the shorter sidewall effectively gives a stiffer package to resist the slip/distortion of the tire to roll under.

On the other hand, a taller sidewall effectively gives a more compliant package, possibly lowering the spring rate of the tire, lessening the work of the springs/dampers.

Haven't people run PWC Pirelli slicks? Those are a fairly durable, sticky and soft-sidewall-ed tire... The Mustang guys use them a lot on medium static camber (-2.5 to -3.0) cars.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:06 PM   #22
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Found this when looking for DH slicks for sale. Something I've not seen stated by PWC before, but I guess that was the case until the 2017 season:
Attached Images

Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #23
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
On one hand, the shorter sidewall effectively gives a stiffer package to resist the slip/distortion of the tire to roll under.

On the other hand, a taller sidewall effectively gives a more compliant package, possibly lowering the spring rate of the tire, lessening the work of the springs/dampers.

Haven't people run PWC Pirelli slicks? Those are a fairly durable, sticky and soft-sidewall-ed tire... The Mustang guys use them a lot on medium static camber (-2.5 to -3.0) cars.
With a 20" wheel, options are pretty limited. At some point, I may drop to a 19" wheel to expand my options.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #24
neenja_jenkins

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.
neenja_jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #25
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by neenja_jenkins View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing.
Don’t be surprised, Tire Rack is the real deal. Those guys know their stuff, and race too.

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:30 PM   #26
travislambert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Don’t be surprised, Tire Rack is the real deal. Those guys know their stuff, and race too.
I'm putting their response to the test this weekend. I have solid cradle mounts, an FEA suspension, and fresh Hoosiers I'll be maxing the camber out tomorrow hopefully getting close to -4 in the front.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
Old 09-22-2018, 08:24 PM   #27
Chris V

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
How did it go today?

2017 1SS 1LE - 663 whp/623 wtq
Rotofab/Whipple/Kooks 2"/LT5 TB/LT4 Fueling/E85/MCS Coilovers/Ground Control/GOODAero/Apex Wheels/Race Louvers
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:35 PM   #28
R3ctivision
1LE Convert

Drives: 2018 ZLE
It sounds like their advice was spot on. I do agree that stickier tires needs a stiffer suspension to utilize the grip. Fast cars are engineered with a specific tire compound in mind nowadays.

Consider ZL1/SS 1LE with GY S3 vs ZLE with GY S3R. Hard mounted suspension, DSSV, higher spring and sway rates, all to handle the higher grip from the R tires. And those aren't even slicks!

For this reason I hate to play the devil's advocate, but you may enjoy your car more on stock tires or ones with similarly matched grip. Otherwise, might as well trade for a ZLE and get the complete package at once.
R3ctivision is offline   Reply With Quote